TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I'm hoping Cedar Fair is taking notes! Mean Streak and Son of Beast comes to mind!

Why??? Don't you get it? Texas Giant used to be an AWESOME coaster "back in the day" and the goal of this project is to revive that. I don't think Mean Streak or Son of Beast were ever "awesome" coasters. Why give a mediocre coaster in the first place this treatment? Give this treatment to a coaster that ONCE was great...awesome...amazing...but has since turned to crap.

Just think about what Timber Wolf, Ghostrider, or even Colossus would be like if they actually went back to those original designs, and did nothing but gave it this treatment. All of a sudden you'd have coasters like Ghostrider, which can't even crack the top 50 anymore, becoming a top 10 ride again. What about SFOG's Cyclone? Holy crap, can you imagine what that ride would be like if it had this makeover???

This all of course, is making the assumption that this treatment is going to rock and change the wood coaster world forever....

I'll agree with you on giving the once-awesome coasters this new track system to bring them back to their former glory.

That's not really what's being done with Giant, though. Very little of what Giant was "in the day" is left in the layout. The new ride will be exactly that: a NEW ride. It won't even be close to what the Giant used to be. I do think that if they had just re-tracked it in the original opening day profile and layout, it could easily be a top 10 ride again. I don't think SFOT wanted to settle for top ten, though, I think they're after #1. They might just get it.

As for Mean Streak and Son of Beast, I think those mediocre coasters are the perfect candidates for this treatment... IF it includes this kind of massive reprofiling. Since the original layout would be basically absent, the fact that they were ho-hum before has no bearing.

Oh, and to the person who said that TxGiant and Mean Streak are similar... don't let looks deceive you. Once you got on board (and I rode both in their opening seasons), the only similarities in the two rides were that they were wood and had a big lift hill.

What a great post Texcoaster, and couldn't agree more on all counts. I rode the Giant and MS their opening seasons too and your right, the ride experience was totally different, however they were designed by the same firm and both coaster's lift hills are similar in design.

With that said, you hit a grand slam pointing out that the new layout bears NO resemblance to the original, and takes the ride to a totally different level (hopefully higher).

I can't wait to ride this epic beast to see for myself - but boy - the layout looks GREAT on paper and in real life!

I think MS and SoB were coasters that could have been great and never lived up to it. I think this treatment could be exactly what those coaster need to become what they always should have been. This mostly goes for SoB that really has no other choice except a wrecking ball.

That being said, I think the coasters Robb threw out there are also top choices. I would love to ride Ghostrider with this treatment but not have the layout changed at all, simply replace the wood track with exact steel replicas. I rememeber the first time I rode it in 2002 how much fun I had, not so much anymore.

Well, I couldn't disagree with Rob any more strongly.

Granted Mean Streak was never a "good" ride, but this treatment could transform it into a world class ride, especially given the Giant is very similar to MS. The vast majority of enthusiasts want MS to burn to the ground, so this treatment could save CF significant capital from starting from scratch and transform the current under utilized asset into a true revenue generating thrill machine it was meant to be. After riding ET and seeing what a "wooden" coaster can generate in terms of airtime, g-forces, and thrills - I'd personally like to see every wooden coaster get this treatment, since I'm not a big fan of bruises or getting thrown around while on a ride.

My $.02.

How much is this costing six flags? I remember reading it somewhere, but can't remember what the price tag was.

I am not sure that CF would be saving much, if any money re-doing mean streak. Not only would the whole ride have to get reprofiled, but you have to get new rolling stock and several other things. Even then, with mean streak (or sob), will people forget about what kind of ride it was and give it another chance? Or have they written the ride off and swore to not ever go near it again? A new woodie cost's what? 7-8 million?

I can't wait to see how this ride turns out, and if it does I think there are several other coasters out there that are more deserving than mean streak. I have to side with Rob on this one.

Is anyone else getting scared about thos messed up supports in that (over)banked turn? I can't help myself getting the feeling that it might just all collapse when a train is going trough there

No not at all. They are going to be basically reimbursing and building all the structure thoroughly over the off season. i can guarantee you. These are the people that actually built multiple coasters, some with very high forces such as el toro. They know what they are doing, they have seen what is needed in order for a ride to handle forces.

Robb, can we add a humor tag or something like that to the forum...?

Is anyone else getting scared about thos messed up supports in that (over)banked turn? I can't help myself getting the feeling that it might just all collapse when a train is going trough there

Not this again...

+50.

It will be fine. Rocky Mountain knows what they're doing. I shouldn't have even worried about the wheels running between the bolts.

Am I the only one that think these supports look frail. I hope those gerst trains are light. They (wooden beams) don't even look strong enough to support the track.

Remember that on that turn the G's are positive, so the force applied to the structure goes "out", so it does't have to carry the weight.

You think you've seen the craziest possible photo of this new Giant, and then along come some more, and they're even crazier. Holy damn.

If this works, and I really hope it does, I also hope someone out there is thinking "Rye Aeroplane" and "Crystal Beach Cyclone."

I'm hoping Cedar Fair is taking notes! Mean Streak and Son of Beast comes to mind!

Why??? Don't you get it? Texas Giant used to be an AWESOME coaster "back in the day" and the goal of this project is to revive that. I don't think Mean Streak or Son of Beast were ever "awesome" coasters. Why give a mediocre coaster in the first place this treatment? Give this treatment to a coaster that ONCE was great...awesome...amazing...but has since turned to crap.

Just think about what Timber Wolf, Ghostrider, or even Colossus would be like if they actually went back to those original designs, and did nothing but gave it this treatment. All of a sudden you'd have coasters like Ghostrider, which can't even crack the top 50 anymore, becoming a top 10 ride again. What about SFOG's Cyclone? Holy crap, can you imagine what that ride would be like if it had this makeover???

This all of course, is making the assumption that this treatment is going to rock and change the wood coaster world forever....

I get what you're saying, Robb.

Six Flags posted a 1:41 video of the giant a few hours ago to their facebook. If you thought the pictures looked crazy, you gotta check out the vid, no shots of the station but the carpet and 90 degree turns are there and really showcases what a great ride this will be!

And to be nice, here's a link so you don't have to click too many times to find it. The video is not uploaded to youtube and has a "property of six flags" disclaimer on it.

It's so ridiculous looking, I just can't picture it "working." Usually I can imagine a train running along the tracks, but this just doesn't look right. Not saying it won't work, it just looks so abnormal for a wooden (structured) coaster. I ought to make a nice little Texas trip next year.

I was at the park about a month ago- I was quite excited to see the new Giant taking shape. This will be one hell of a ride! Part of me, however, will miss some of the elements that made up the old ride- is it just me or does it not feel as MASSIVE as it once did? (even with the higher lift hill) Even so, I am excited!