TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Yeah this is looking like one beast of a coaster just think they turned IMO the biggest POS on the planet beside Mean Streak into a number #1 looking coaster. Any one sure Intamin had no part in the making of this coaster lol cuz it looks like some as sick as they'd design.

Speaking of wood/steel will they need a new catagory in the polls b/c I beleave if it rides anywhere as good as it's looking then this is going to be the #1 hybrid in the world lol Or do they put wooden structured steel coasters in the steel poll?

I think I was sporting a chub taking it all in, it's been 6 weeks since my last visit and I was ready to walk up the stairs and hop on!

A few more things to note now that I'm awake. There appears to be no track left in the parking lot. All of the remaining track that I was able to see is located next to the ride by the NFW OMFG verticle turn, which, makes sense! The "magic carpet" looks stellar, especially with the lights bouncing off it at night. Also, it doesn't look like they've started the catwalk in places where they've noted it will be, but that shouldn't take too long to install. A little more than 3 months until opening, I'm confident after looking it over yesterday that they will make it.

To me, it makes sense to get one of the trains loaded on the track to check for issues in the maintenance bay as well as begin any training the mechanics may need. They could also use it to set sensors in the station, etc. I'd say realistically, mid to end month the track work will be complete

Speaking of wood/steel will they need a new catagory in the polls b/c I beleave if it rides anywhere as good as it's looking then this is going to be the #1 hybrid in the world lol Or do they put wooden structured steel coasters in the steel poll?

It will be the first coaster to top both the steel and the wooden coaster polls at the same time.

Is anyone else getting scared about thos messed up supports in that (over)banked turn? I can't help myself getting the feeling that it might just all collapse when a train is going trough there

No not at all. They are going to be basically reimbursing and building all the structure thoroughly over the off season. i can guarantee you. These are the people that actually built multiple coasters, some with very high forces such as el toro. They know what they are doing, they have seen what is needed in order for a ride to handle forces.

I'm hoping Cedar Fair is taking notes! Mean Streak and Son of Beast comes to mind!

Why??? Don't you get it? Texas Giant used to be an AWESOME coaster "back in the day" and the goal of this project is to revive that. I don't think Mean Streak or Son of Beast were ever "awesome" coasters. Why give a mediocre coaster in the first place this treatment? Give this treatment to a coaster that ONCE was great...awesome...amazing...but has since turned to crap.

Just think about what Timber Wolf, Ghostrider, or even Colossus would be like if they actually went back to those original designs, and did nothing but gave it this treatment. All of a sudden you'd have coasters like Ghostrider, which can't even crack the top 50 anymore, becoming a top 10 ride again. What about SFOG's Cyclone? Holy crap, can you imagine what that ride would be like if it had this makeover???

This all of course, is making the assumption that this treatment is going to rock and change the wood coaster world forever....

Edited by robbalvey

^^Robb, I TOTALLY agree! There are plenty of coasters that were EPIC in their day - and this would be awesome (providing it works like it should.) The SFoG Cyclone, with that amazing airtime, but without broken/brused ribs... Amazing. Or coasters like The Boss, that seem to have an amazing and huge layout, but are just plain painful.

D.

I guess I am lucky to have only ridden the Georgia Psyclone in year one, sorry to here of it's condition now. My uncle was a carpenter on Mean Streak so I would love to see it get better, it would require some imagination and reprofiling for sure. I personally never rode Texas Giant but the new one looks incredible. I agree with others who have said the ride actually looks scary, great job!!

Thanks for the pictures they are awesome.

Texas Giant was a very, very temperamental roller coaster, but I think its biggest problem was that it was a giant wooden coaster that sat through 20 brutally hot Texas summers. That kind of heat does horrific wonders on wooden coasters, and the Giant was no exception. And even though it basically turned into crap the last several seasons, if you were lucky and rode it after a good rain storm, it was actually somewhat tolerable.

Well, I couldn't disagree with Rob any more strongly.

Granted Mean Streak was never a "good" ride, but this treatment could transform it into a world class ride, especially given the Giant is very similar to MS. The vast majority of enthusiasts want MS to burn to the ground, so this treatment could save CF significant capital from starting from scratch and transform the current under utilized asset into a true revenue generating thrill machine it was meant to be. After riding ET and seeing what a "wooden" coaster can generate in terms of airtime, g-forces, and thrills - I'd personally like to see every wooden coaster get this treatment, since I'm not a big fan of bruises or getting thrown around while on a ride.

My $.02.

LOL - Minor techincality from my point of view. I personally don't care what a coaster is made of as long as it's smooth, forcefull, and fast! El Toro is the perfect example with all the discussion on what it truely is (wood, steel, hybrid), but the bottom line is that it's one kick @ss ride up there with Bizzaro/RoS at SFNE.

I'm hoping Cedar Fair is taking notes! Mean Streak and Son of Beast comes to mind!

Why??? Don't you get it? Texas Giant used to be an AWESOME coaster "back in the day" and the goal of this project is to revive that. I don't think Mean Streak or Son of Beast were ever "awesome" coasters. Why give a mediocre coaster in the first place this treatment? Give this treatment to a coaster that ONCE was great...awesome...amazing...but has since turned to crap.

Just think about what Timber Wolf, Ghostrider, or even Colossus would be like if they actually went back to those original designs, and did nothing but gave it this treatment. All of a sudden you'd have coasters like Ghostrider, which can't even crack the top 50 anymore, becoming a top 10 ride again. What about SFOG's Cyclone? Holy crap, can you imagine what that ride would be like if it had this makeover???

This all of course, is making the assumption that this treatment is going to rock and change the wood coaster world forever....

This is a GREAT point.

The couple of times I rode TX Giant, I didn't think it was too bad (this was in 2005) but luckily Robb and Elissa were there to tell us where to sit.

I'd LOVE to see this treatment on Colossus, Ghostrider, heck, even Roar at SFDK.

I know this is going back a bit, but wanted to comment on it:

If you want to know what P-clone could've been, get yourself to Coney Island.

Psyclone is another that WAS a good coaster ... until Jan 17, 1994.

LOL - Minor techincality from my point of view. I personally don't care what a coaster is made of as long as it's smooth, forcefull, and fast! El Toro is the perfect example with all the discussion on what it truely is (wood, steel, hybrid), but the bottom line is that it's one kick @ss ride up there with Bizzaro/RoS at SFNE.

I can agree with that!