TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

After looking at my picture again, I think it's likely that it's only gonna be a single helix. I think the ledgers are just oddly placed because they're trying to use the old structure as much as possible (don't think they've put in any new footers at all, as far as I can tell).

The picture in question:

I think a lot of confusion comes from the fact that in the last few years, we generally see VERY accurate renderings of new rides in action. The Freeze concept art comes from a time when that is all we ever saw was the "concept". Usually dramatasized and romantasized artwork to hype up the presentation of the new attraction. To see a video rendering today that isn't meant to show accuracy is just unusual and we want to take it literally. Watching the video again and thinking of it from a concept perspective makes more sense. It's not like they have a full POV as if to say "hey look what it will do now!" It's really just a lot of theatrical hype in the video. I guess some of us got a bit antsy about it.

Here is a Taiko booty

Well I do think the difference is whether or not theme parks get Keith to do the rendering or if some yokel in marketing is an amateur in NoLimits, which of course, it appears they went with the latter.

Either way, I kind of like not having an accurate rendering. Makes me wonder if they could have any additional surprises up their sleeves...

For the last two days on the SFOT cam, the cranes have been going crazy, presumably installing track. It's really hard to tell due to the low-res image and the angle of the shot from above, but it looks like the rise into the MCBR is done, the rise into the last overbank before the MCBR is done, and judging from where the crane was situated, there could've been some trackwork going in on the flying carpet. You can't really see inside the structure on that cam, though.

Someone REALLY needs to get out there and post some more pictures!

I should be out there early in the afternoon today to get some shots. The thing about the project now is that all the ledgers are prety much in, however, you can't see the progress unless you are on Titan, or Shockwave, or the rail road. Can't get pictures from really any of those places.

Okay, here are some pictures from today:

The next-to-last bunny hop.

Through the structure you can see the right rail for the turn into the midcourse has been completed, but even that seems to be a bit off so it appears some more work will have to be done for that track piece...

Ledgers in the old helix area look interesting... Looks like maybe it will do a diving turn under the lift instead of a double-helix?

More pictures are here, as always...

I was also there today and they had virtually all of the ledgers on the ride. The layout (with the exception of the magic carpet) seemed pretty clear. After the mid course, it will do the same diving left turn. The coaster then comes up lower than previously, does the two airtime hills (as shown on the video) and dives into where the old heix used to begin. The coaster banks to the right as it goes over a small hill where the helix next to the station would be. It then steeply dives into a almost 90 degree turn at the ground, comes back up (higher than before) into an airtime hill and goes into the remainder of the magic carpet. There is only one helix, and there are no signs of it going over the lift hill. instead it dives under and goes against the chain lift house.I can post more pictures if wanted.

^I'd expect no more slamming than any other steel coaster with airtime.

It should be considerably less painful than coasters with OTSRs and airtime!

My concern is the overbanked turn supports. There will be a lot of outward forces generated by a train going fast around those turns and (as of yet) not much lateral support at all.

Here's the pictures. Sorry it took so long. Look at the second picture. I can't see any evidence of a helix going over the track. It looks like just about all of that structure was removed. Also, there's a 3rd >90 degree banked turn. Right after the first 95 degree turn. Also, I took an older picture of the Texas Giant and juxtaposed it onto the new picture. Aside from the hill, which is taller, the rest of the ride is significantly shorter than the original. I will upload that picture later.

1.-Optimized.thumb.jpg.32af5f74564a2cea7afd577cff406483.jpg

You can see they used the structure of the old helix as evidenced by the very long ledgers. One of them seems like it is at an odd angle.

2.-Optimized.jpg.b02896fe00e8a36139b82e1619387e0e.jpg

I can't imagine any other way that these would connect. It looks like it dive turns under the structure right by the chain house and connects back up into the magic carpet section.

3.-Optimized.thumb.jpg.2b0488f3a08d5f1a21721330ad966be1.jpg

4.-Optimized.jpg.02d4075b6a3797d7ae3113aaeb7ac4f8.jpg

5.-Optimized.jpg.5da4429c7ff998717ff5271d3ea1bde0.jpg

6.-Optimized.jpg.bd8280619f3561de2088a133a4617f85.jpg

7.-Optimized.jpg.a3fc1e170eb39e17be4d4aab73b9d9ab.jpg

8.-Optimized.jpg.ba3c022fe16d10ac92fe7b05a55851cd.jpg

9.-Optimized.jpg.b32f89de38968989e856320b38bcec1b.jpg

10.-Optimized.thumb.jpg.202fa79ff2b8e85b2d5ed1b7b9b35e3d.jpg

34.-Optimized.jpg.c175ea6f51ec25217988d44d554a297f.jpg

s.-Optimized.jpg.e3e06bea750f2521d12a8d8eb87ded0d.jpg

YEah.-Optimized.jpg.88b1acf5e9dc587653eb78019f0b5c17.jpg

The more I see of this layout, the more I fear that it's going to run a couple test trains with accelerometer dummies and then be either heavily braked or have to be reprofiled extensively before opening.

Can they REALLY get away with that level of extremism?

If this thing opens as-is, you better believe that I will be there on opening day as close to the front of the line as possible so I can say, "YES, I got to ride it before they screwed it up and DAMN, what a ride!"

(eternally grateful for doing that with Rattler)

^Rattler still suffered from the long, slow, boring helix on the cliff (although it wasn't NEARLY as slow back then)... but the first drop was quite simply the most incredibly insane, breath-stopping moment of any wooden coaster I've ever been on. You crested the lift, and started the plunge. Right in front of you was the helix and your mind assumed that you'd be going there. The train angled itself right at the edge of the cliff and at the time you realized that you wouldn't be going into the helix, you also realized OMG! CLIFF! - and then it angled again slightly to run parallel to the cliff and got steeper, causing a second brief moment of airtime halfway down the drop... which you couldn't see the bottom of because there was a shed over it to shield it from falling stones.

The on-ride camera snapped the pic right at the pullout of the drop. Very, VERY few people still had their hands up by the time they got to that point. Most were clutching the bar, head down, looking at the floor.

It's been confirmed that the new Texas Giant will be receiving the flame cannons from Bizarro at Six Flags New England as mentioned in a Q&A session during Super Hero Celebration.

Q. Why was the Flame Cannons removed from Bizarro?

A. We Felt they were not necessary and they will be used at SFOT on the Texas Giant to save money.

Link

If in fact the second helix is removed, this thing is going to have amazing speed going into the magic carpet section of the ride. I am hoping for some extreme ejector air on most of the little hills that are in this portion. If they do in fact enclose it, it will be insane!

I'm gonna be there next year! Whoot!