TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I've got to say that in my time perusing this board, I haven't seen many topics like this - where just about everyone is in agreement as to how awesome this thing is looking. I keep on waiting for some clunker to roll out of the PR machine around this ride, but it seems like every move and announcement they make is greeted with 100% positivity. Cool.

Thanks for the picture of that steel/wood coaster, that's interesting. I guess this whole concept really proves how you have to continually create and "think outside the box" to truly innovate....while I know this is costly, if it all turns out the right way I'm certain that the experience gained on this project will be put to good use in other parks with aging coasters.

And yes David, we will certainly be doing another short Texas Trip in the future. Most likely not next summer, but you never know! We could end up doing a 'Bay Area Bash' type short trip if the ride ends up being as awesome as it looks!

That sounds great! I'll keep my fingers crossed that this coaster turns out as good as it looks.

Robb or Elissa... will TPR be doing another Texas trip anytime soon to ride this?

ACE CoasterCon is at SFOT next year.

SFOT is well-known for their hospitality and killer surprises during an enthusiast event (they had intended to let folks at this year's Lone Star Coasterthon climb the lift hill on the Giant, but weather didn't allow it).

The last CoasterCon at SFOT was in 1990, the year that Giant was born. One of my favorite memories is during ERT one night on Runaway Mine Train, they turned off ALL the lights in that corner of the park and ran it in total darkness. That little ride is freaking INSANE if you can't see those turns coming.

To be fair, David asked if TPR was doing a trip there. Pretty sure he'd enjoy a TPR Trip there about 10048395 times better than an ACE Event.

And yes David, we will certainly be doing another short Texas Trip in the future. Most likely not next summer, but you never know! We could end up doing a 'Bay Area Bash' type short trip if the ride ends up being as awesome as it looks!

To be fair, I assumed that he would ask about a TPR trip because it might offer reduced costs, ERT, special treats or other fun stuff from the park, and the ability to enjoy the experience with other enthusiasts. Since TPR hadn't announced anything at SFOT and since y'all just did Texas this year, I figured that I'd clue him in on how to get what he's looking for next year. If the last CoasterCon at SFOT is any indication, next year's is going to be awesome.

Excuse me for trying to help.

Here are a few screenshots from the video

544615832_Screenshot2010-10-07at11_39_34PM.jpg.56ff4b26086c634cf558b6b595422e59.jpg

You can see that the double helix around the lift is now just a single pass around the lift.

2096143392_Screenshot2010-10-07at11_38_36PM.jpg.67b7670961375ee3a48f222abfda8ec1.jpg

The S-turn lead in to the flying carpet is still there

318064145_Screenshot2010-10-07at11_37_25PM.jpg.d8eb0ffd22fa4bcf15cbf566e7a40b86.jpg

What's this? The flying carpet is tunneled?

527985271_Screenshot2010-10-07at11_39_17PM.jpg.d3b2aafd2de60b372fc87c15d6f5b6a1.jpg

Yep. Tunnel all the way around the carpet.

And honestly, I don't know why anyone's upset that the double helix is leaving. That was by far the slowest and most boring part of the old Giant. Not as slow and boring as Rattler's helix of course, but still, I for one won't miss it when I look at what's being gained.

And let's not forget that without a double helix the flying carpet could actually be even faster since the helix bled off a decent amount of the train's speed...

The one advantage to the double helix is that it allowed enough time for them to dispatch a train (in 3-train op) so that you could get buzzed by an overhead train as you're going up the lift.

Having said that, with the new trains and the lack of seatbelts, there could be enough time saved there to still get a train out in time for the fly-by.

And let's not forget that without a double helix the flying carpet could actually be even faster since the helix bled off a decent amount of the train's speed...

The MCBR is significantly lower than the old one, though, so if there's any sort of braking up there, and it's not just a pass through like SKC, it's gonna end up about the same speed, I'd imagine.

I really like how this ride is shaping up. While I'll miss the old Giant (it was one of my favorite woodies), the new one looks to be even better. However, having a thing for wooden coasters, I do hope that in keeping a wooden structure the coaster still acts a bit like one. If not, oh well. In addition to a cool looking ride layout (so far), the new cars are quite awesome as well. I look forward to my next trip to SFoT. My favorite Six Flags park just keeps getting better.

In defense of the helix, yes it was boring before, but 1 it provided a fantastic contrast to "that which we do not speak of", 2 it made the ride that much longer, and 3 it doesn't have to be at all what it used to be. The entire ride has been jazzed up beyond recognition so if the helix returned I don't think it would be boring anymore. One quick turn around the lift is lame to me.