TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

This was from a press release from the park to an Arlington Tx newspaper:

Additional Information: In true Texas fashion, these Giant trains symbolize everything that is grand and great about the Lone Star State. The ride will boast three trains that pay homage to the popular 1961 Cadillac Deville. From the replicated body of the car, to the grill, headlights and tail lights, the look of these trains will take guests on a smooth and exhilarating ride with a nostalgic twist. To top it off, each train has a custom-made “cattle horn” and custom saddle designed seats.

The three train colors are aqua metallic, black metallic and red metallic.

Each train will hold 24 passengers in stadium style seating.

Each train is approximately 48 feet long and almost 5 feet wide.

The lap bar restraints have been custom designed with a saddle horn.

Headlights and taillights, huh? Wonder if they'll light up or just be for show. Holy crap, if they leave the ride in the dark at night and just have the train headlights to light the way, that would be awesome.

Aqua, black, and red. I like it. Obviously, they trotted out the aqua train for the preview.

Everyone who I've talked to believe this coaster will be a huge fail. I'm the exact opposite, and hoping for the best. Also, that train does indeed look awesome, however, not a fan of the "window" guards. Anyway, I'm loving this project take shape everyday and think this has the potential to be a Top 5 coaster for many. Now to book my flight to Texas for next year....

I LOVE the new trains and don't mind the plexiglass guards at all! I know they're a little ugly from an aesthetic point of view, but when you're riding will you REALLY notice them? Hell no! Honestly I think it's to save your back from swinging over the side of the train, which means the forces are going to be there!

The ONLY comment (and this isn't about the aesthetics of the train) I have is I wish they would have put the bogeys on the OUTSIDE of the I beams instead of the inside. As we've learned with Arrow and Morgan rides like X, GASM, Magnum XL, Steel Phantom or Steel Dragon, inside rail bogeys are prone to a rough and choppy ride. Intamin and B&M has the bogeys on the outside and it helps to provide an overall smoother ride, as the axle has a wider length, and rotates more smoothly.

I hope they have the headlights AND tailights, and I hope they work for more than a year.

But can you really chalk up Arrow and Morgan rides' roughness to the wheel bogies, or just poor engineering in terms of the track profile (crappy transitions, not heartlined, etc.)? I know on most Arrow rides if you look at the wheels there's typically a pretty big gap between the side and upstop wheels and the track due to poor tolerances (even to the point of them still spinning after the train stops in the station), which of course translates to a rough ride. B&M and other modern coaster manufacturers use spring-loaded wheels to stay in contact with the track at all times, in addition to using sophisticated software and analysis to heartline their tracks.

I think if properly engineered, wheel bogies on the inside don't necessarily translate to a rougher ride. Of course Rocky Mountain seems to have a lot of experience in building coasters and none in designing them so it's still somewhat of a gamble I suppose.

Robb or Elissa... will TPR be doing another Texas trip anytime soon to ride this?

ACE CoasterCon is at SFOT next year.

SFOT is well-known for their hospitality and killer surprises during an enthusiast event (they had intended to let folks at this year's Lone Star Coasterthon climb the lift hill on the Giant, but weather didn't allow it).

The last CoasterCon at SFOT was in 1990, the year that Giant was born. One of my favorite memories is during ERT one night on Runaway Mine Train, they turned off ALL the lights in that corner of the park and ran it in total darkness. That little ride is freaking INSANE if you can't see those turns coming.

i think they hit a home run with these trains, I think, however, that it would be totally crazy if they added a mechanism to roll the "windows" down when the train left the station and then roll them back up when it hit the brake run, but then, for sure, someone would claim they got hurt when the windows rolled up....

Wow, these trains look great, especially since I was expecting something like what was on Twisted Twins with horns. The new Texas Giant is shaping up to be a great coaster, and it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being ranked as one of the best in the country. Every update shows this coaster getting better and better, and hopefully if the new track system works, we will see other parks do something similar in the not to distant future.

Love the design of the trains. Especially if it does in fact have working headlamps and tail lights. Not real pleased with the colors other than the red. Hopefully it will be candy apple with glitter fleck.

I'm wondering how the end car will look. Perhaps we will see fins. A man can only hope.

Well, sadly, it looks like I will have to spend at least a day in Texas next year. I feel the dry heaves already. Except when I am riding of course. I hope.

Guy "Every thing about this project is looking better and better. Now if we could just get them to move the whole thing out of the state." Koepp

I personally think the reach shields look almost un-noticable.

Wait a second - is that stadium seating I see? That will be really cool. It will give more airtime over the hills, too, because of the taller heartline in the back.

Robb or Elissa... will TPR be doing another Texas trip anytime soon to ride this?

ACE CoasterCon is at SFOT next year.

SFOT is well-known for their hospitality and killer surprises during an enthusiast event (they had intended to let folks at this year's Lone Star Coasterthon climb the lift hill on the Giant, but weather didn't allow it).

The last CoasterCon at SFOT was in 1990, the year that Giant was born. One of my favorite memories is during ERT one night on Runaway Mine Train, they turned off ALL the lights in that corner of the park and ran it in total darkness. That little ride is freaking INSANE if you can't see those turns coming.

To be fair, David asked if TPR was doing a trip there. Pretty sure he'd enjoy a TPR Trip there about 10048395 times better than an ACE Event.

And yes David, we will certainly be doing another short Texas Trip in the future. Most likely not next summer, but you never know! We could end up doing a 'Bay Area Bash' type short trip if the ride ends up being as awesome as it looks!