TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

One question--after the rehabilitation, will Texas Giant be considered a steel coaster? I would assume so, just as I would consider Gemini a steel coaster, but just wondering.

The drop looks ultra amazing!

I believe Robb already put this one to rest. I wouldn't bring it up anymore.

The further along this gets, the more excited I get. Our household has pretty much decided a quick trip to the DFW area is in order next spring / summer. I rode this when it was a new Woodie, and I'd love to ride it when it is a new Steelie!

David

I think they stay there, the wheel just goes between.

What he said.

That seems like mighty precise engineering as coaster trains tend to shuffle a little, but I'm no engineer.

There's more room there than appears in pictures. There's nearly enough room between those bolts to mount one of the traditional steel running rails if they wanted to.

There's more room there than appears in pictures. There's nearly enough room between those bolts to mount one of the traditional steel running rails if they wanted to.

OK, I'll buy that answer. It's hard to judge scale and depth in a picture.

I could be wrong but it appeared the bolts and plates were just temporary and that I saw them going back and welding pieces of the track together and buffing them down to a smooth surface. Not sure they're doing that everywhere but I would find it a bit odd if they left the bolts in place as the train tolerances would have to be spot-on to prevent some catastrophic wheel problems.

I'm with Houston up there. The places without plates are probably just getting adjusted. I'm of the opinion that the trains have plenty of room to get between them. they have been putting things together and taking them back apart and adjusting them throughout this whole process. Saying the bolt plates are temporary at this point is like saying they wont be bolting the ledgers to the structure, because I've seen a lot of that too.

I'm with Houston up there. The places without plates are probably just getting adjusted. I'm of the opinion that the trains have plenty of room to get between them. they have been putting things together and taking them back apart and adjusting them throughout this whole process. Saying the bolt plates are temporary at this point is like saying they wont be bolting the ledgers to the structure, because I've seen a lot of that too.

But doesn't it make more sense that they're just bolting things together until they can weld the track together? They wouldn't weld the track together to adjust it. I dunno, it just seems strange to have a relatively narrow path for the guide wheels to run throughout without traversing over bolts. I suppose it all depends on the train though.

But doesn't it make more sense that they're just bolting things together until they can weld the track together? They wouldn't weld the track together to adjust it. I dunno, it just seems strange to have a relatively narrow path for the guide wheels to run throughout without traversing over bolts. I suppose it all depends on the train though.

I don't think the track's gonna be welded together at all.