TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Here is my thought. Rattler is actually running kind of good this year. I would however LOVE to see it get this treatment IF the old drop and double down are going to return.

Boss, get better trains. Look at Legend. It made a big difference. Boss I had not ridden since opening year until closing day last season. I not only thought it was surprisingly smooth, but found it quite tame until the helix. Maybe that's just me, but I was shocked at how tame it was.

Mean Streak, CP doesn't do squat to help that ride. It's a lost cause in that park.

And anyone saying Ghostrider needs it, you make me cry I LOVE how intense and brutal that ride is.

To be fair, Ghostrider has been running MILES better this year than it has in the past. My ride in July of last year was beyond unbearable (the only coaster ever to make my back hurt), but recently, it's had the perfect balance of roughness and awesomeness.

As for TG, I think the layout is going to be a real winner. Although even though I'm pretty sure they have it all calculated out, that structure looks really flimsy at some points (the drop looks especially janky). It'll be weird seeing how a weak looking structure like that will hold up a ride that's most likely significantly heavier than the ride it was designed for.

If rattler's running good this year, I'd hate to have ridden it last year, two rounds and done for me. Could have been I wasn't expecting what was next, but it sure put a bruisen on me...

I have to say, even though TG won't be a ground up attraction, I think this will be the big ticket item everyone will be seeking next year, not too many new coaster announcements for next year thus far, and while I hope that changes, I see the coaster boys and girls flocking to Texas and Tampa, FL next year for sure.

I am really excited about this one, just hope they put it on the flashpass.

As for TG, I think the layout is going to be a real winner. Although even though I'm pretty sure they have it all calculated out, that structure looks really flimsy at some points (the drop looks especially janky). It'll be weird seeing how a weak looking structure like that will hold up a ride that's most likely significantly heavier than the ride it was designed for.

Hammer meet nail. This has been my biggest concern since day 1. Almost doesn't seem possible, but then again, a lot of things with roller coasters don't seem possible. I'll rest easy knowing some really smart people planned this one out and just trust them.

^^ I rode The Boss in its first or second season and didn't find it bad at all. There was even a guy (can't remember his name, but he's the one who's always doing the marathon records) riding it non-stop for 100 days that year.

In a utopian scenario, rides with amazing, unique layouts would be cared for by their home parks and the TLC would keep the rides in good enough shape to provide great rides throughout the life of the coaster. There are plenty of examples of coasters much older than Boss or Texas Giant or Rattler that still give great rides. (Yes, their layouts are simpler and not as extreme, but you get my point)

We don't live in Utopia, though. The sad reality is that budget cuts, poor maintenance, brutal weather, and a host of other things can turn a once-great ride into a sadistic monster. Once a ride reaches that stage, a lot of parks opt to tear it down completely (Hercules comes to mind). While I will certainly mourn the passing of the once-mighty Giant, knowing that I'll never get to experience again the way it rode back in the early 90's, the fact is that those days were ALREADY gone and never to be seen again. If the options were [1] let it run like crap [2] taer it down or [3] retrofit it with Iron Horse track, then I applaud SFOT for taking the risky, but ultimately better road. No, it won't be the Giant I once loved, but it could very well be a hella good coaster in its own right.

That said, I think Boss and Rattler are two coasters that have gotten to the point of being beyond a mere tune-up. They simply aren't ever going to run like they used to, no matter how much retracking they get. Let's mourn the passing of their glory days and look forward to the possibility that they could get a makeover like Giant is getting. Losing a woodie to a bad-A$$ hybrid based on the original design is far preferable to having it torn down and losing it completely.

(Already drooling over the prospect of Rattler's first drop returning to the insanity it had on opening day)

Don't forget to mention those damned G-Trains. My first experience with them was on Cheetah at Wild Adventures. It was basically crap. They re-tracked it last winter and it was awesome earlier this year - but I don't hold high hopes for it as time moves on because those trains are just aweful for the track.

I agree with you 100% though. I rode Giant when it was the new coaster at SFoT and it was just amazing. My #1 for a long time. Hearing of its slow decline was heartbreaking, so if this gets it back up and amazing again - more power to them.

My only complaint so far is that the steel catwalks make the lift a bit ugly looking, other than that, everything looks great.

Also, The chain trough seems to look a bit thin for a conventional chain, perhaps a cable sytsem will be utilized? I have yet to see it in person so I can't really tell for sure.

I had a layover flight in Dallas Fort Worth on the way home from Mexico City and I was able to see Six Flags Over Texas from the air. I have to say that Texas Giant looks much more impressive "up close" than it does in pictures. The drop looks completely out of place and insane, which are both good things about this ride. I really think that the result of this project will be much better than many people had originally expected. Can't wait to ride it in 2011

o_o They are going to slide some wood in along with those red steel rails, aren't they? Would this change the classification of the ride at all? That looks seriously weird.

Although a quick trip through the rest of the thread would've answered your question....

No, those are the rails, the whole rails, and nothing but the rails. There won't be any wood track.

Yes, that means that it will go from being a woodie to being a steelie.

Carry on.

Why yes, they have calculated it out, and it turns out the new track system weighs roughly the same as the numerous layers of wood and steel rails track system of traditional wood coasters. And during the drop you don't really have that many positive Gs (until the bottom) so why would it need to have a significant amount of supports?

o_o They are going to slide some wood in along with those red steel rails, aren't they? Would this change the classification of the ride at all? That looks seriously weird.

Uhh, what rock/cave have you been living under/in?

Seriously, what would be the point of retrofitting the entire ride with a steel track system and then putting wood on them?

Uhh, what rock/cave have you been living under/in?

Seriously, what would be the point of retrofitting the entire ride with a steel track system and then putting wood on them?

Obviously, the one where people don't hover constantly about an update or aren't in the know. And hey, how would I know? That's why I asked the question.

Those photos are actually really cool.

Well I wouldn't say one would have to "hover constantly" about the Texas Giant renovation to know the sheer basics that they're converting it to a steel-track system. This whole project was announced in March 2009 and has been a significant source of discussion since, but maybe you just haven't been keeping up with big news in the coaster world...?

Went out to the park today and took a couple of pictures...

The chain guide is almost finished

Starting to look pretty wicked there on that turn.

See what I mean?

Rails in place at the bottom of the 3rd drop.

Maybe a matter of perspective, but that pullout into the 1st turn looks kinda tight/intense.

^No way that will be on the first turn. I'd be really surprised if it is. I'm thinking that will be a 95 degree turn, and the turn into the 3rd or 4th drop will be the really heavy bank. I kind of feel like all 3 turns after the drop will be overbanked. While that is very exciting, it also doesn't leave too much room for any lateral forces in the first half of the ride. Here is hoping that the second half of the ride will still deliver that element!