TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

The coaster is looking great for sure! Though, I must say I'm going to miss the old Texas Giant. While public opinion of it in its later years wasn't to great, I had nothing but incredible ride after ride when I visited in 2004. One of my favorite wooden coasters, without a doubt. It'll be interesting to see how this new steel coaster pays homage to the old wooden one.

I hope the project is a huge success, cause if it is it could give sooo many rough coasters a new life...

While I partially agree with that statement, in terms of fixing EXTREMELY rough woodies, (Son of Beast, Mean Streak, Grizzly, Rolling Thunder...) Adding steel track could potentially neuter a wooden coaster's out-of-control feeling, and actual sense of danger during the circuit. This type of transformation should only be done on coasters that REALLY need it, not as a way to eliminate some roughness, and after reading reviews of Texas Giant before this happened, it sounded like it needed this to happen.

I hope the project is a huge success, cause if it is it could give sooo many rough coasters a new life...

While I partially agree with that statement, in terms of fixing EXTREMELY rough woodies, (Son of Beast, Mean Streak, Grizzly, Rolling Thunder...) Adding steel track could potentially neuter a wooden coaster's out-of-control feeling, and actual sense of danger during the circuit. This type of transformation should only be done on coasters that REALLY need it, not as a way to eliminate some roughness, and after reading reviews of Texas Giant before this happened, it sounded like it needed this to happen.

I don't know...El Toro is insanity / out of control from the lift to brakes! Though I think you're referring to the feeling that the ride is about to fall apart at any moment? I'm speculating that even with a dual steel spine...that structure is going to give under the dynamic load of a train.

Maybe this shouldn't be seen as "the fix" for Mean Streak, SoB etc. but more as another viable option to Parks in order to keep costs down and guests happy. (Other three options being spot fixes, demolition/replacement and complete wood retracking)

I hate to say this, but....

If the ride runs on STEEL rails, it's a STEEL coaster. Would ANYBODY doubt that of Gemini? Or any Arrow Mine Train?

if it runs onw WOOD rails, then it's a WOOD coaster. Would ANYBODY doubt the Coney Island Cyclone?

Very simply: Texas Giant will re-open as a tall, fast, steep impressive steel coaster.

If the ride runs on STEEL rails, it's a STEEL coaster. Would ANYBODY doubt that of Gemini? Or any Arrow Mine Train?

if it runs onw WOOD rails, then it's a WOOD coaster. Would ANYBODY doubt the Coney Island Cyclone?

Very simply: Texas Giant will re-open as a tall, fast, steep impressive steel coaster.

I agree that the new Giant will be a steel coaster, but technically even wood coasters run on [flat] steel rails.

I agree that the new Giant will be a steel coaster, but technically even wood coasters run on [flat] steel rails.

I agree with your argument, all wooden coasters do have steel tracks.... That makes me almost think the Giant is still a wooden coaster in a way. Hmmmm.?

No! Stop with this nonsense! It's a steel coaster. End of story. There is no debate about it. It's a steel coaster. DEAL WITH IT!

Any further idiotic argument on the subject will be deleted purely because I refuse to allow such stupidity to be posted to TPR.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

All I know is that it looks like it has the potential to be outstanding, and I can't wait for it to reopen!

Exactly! I really could care less about any ride's classification. What I care more about is if it falls in my "top ten coasters!"

If I can classify it as that, it's a winner! I don't care if it's made out of Styrofoam or lipstick.

--Robb

All I can say is that from the top of Power Tower last week, I about wet myself thinking about that first drop with all the track now in place on it, I mean wow, even up close and nerding out and studying the angles and what not, this thing will probably blow my #2, El Toro, down a peg when it opens. (Personal #1 is Montu)

Wood is Good, Steel is Real, but styrofoam? I got nothing.

There has been a little more progress on the double up over the last week or so. I FINALLY got up the tower for the first time in almost two months! I'm sorry but Arlington is not always THAT windy. I'll not get into my Oil Derrick rant here, but give me a break SFOT. Anywho, here's what there is to look at for now.

1486931640_Giant4TPR1.jpg.9ab18a9f4becc9cbbba9e35e17ec9eac.jpg

2141818159_Giant4TPR2.jpg.ffc80e78479f3f109e4eb1f20e7be836.jpg

Houston, we have banking. (I know this isn't Houston) They will clearly have to cut down more structure before this can go any further. Looks like the entire first turn will have a new profile.

1877698599_20TexasGiantrefurbdemoJuly21TPR.png.45de460e19c3ae19a2ea6568976e7981.png

Finally an updated diagram. I haven't done one in a while.

1890492457_Giant4TPR3.jpg.a261f783c022ab9ea195d5c1c6068d31.jpg

It's hard to see but there are quite a few ledgers on the inner leg of the layout behind the double up. I CANNOT WAIT to see this part get tracked!

Great to see the progress on this once incredible wooden coaster. I'm glad that Six Flags is giving new life to this giant.

I too could care less about what a ride is classified as. Sure wooden coasters are classics and a treat to ride, but they are only an enjoyable experience if they do not rattle you around too much. And from what I had read about the Texas Giant in recent years, it wasn't the smoothest experience. Converting a coaster from wood to steel may annoy some traditionalists out there; however, if the Texas Giant rides as well as it is looking right now when it reopens next year, I think that this argument could be put down.

I can't wait to see how this turns out because I have a feeling that several other parks may be considering this transformation if it is successful. I could only dream of something like this happening on SFNE's Cyclone. Such a great layout, but Six Flags has sucked the life out of that ride with all of the modifications they have made.

^^ I highly doubt it was due to wind that it was closed, I'm guessing more due to saving money on staff or the elevators being down. There was only one time I've been to SFOT that the tower was open, last Sunday it was "closed due to wind" and well, it was still a hot humid misserable day.

^That poses and interesting thought. I hope it's not a level turn. It would really wreck what little of Giant's appearance there is at this point. I mean I'm all for the upgrades in the profile so far, but I still want to be able to recognize the ride's former self within it. They may be sharpening the peak of the turn for the 95 degree banking. If that is where it is going then the old profile had far too broad of a "crown" to pull that off, and we could see it getting tightened up for that very reason. It's like Christmas every weekend seeing the new changes down here!