TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^Do you mean 90 degree banks like on Voyage being irrelevant? I wouldn't really say that.

Anyways BIG NEWS! We have another reprofiled gem in store! Hidden behind and beneath that insane looking double up workers installed new steel ledgers foreshadowing yet another killer air hill before the old block brake! Take a look!

281411271_GiantnewbunnyJul51.jpg.90b1c138f5d40106e386de7ca30d62e2.jpg

464459735_GiantnewbunnytrackJul51.jpg.a9953faa1c0178ee595f032b104a77f9.jpg

A little illustrative embellishment to show you what you are looking at.

820180575_GiantnewbunnyJul53.jpg.564734a963084b496ac374956182fc81.jpg

a wider view

1000177476_GiantnewbunnytrackJul53.jpg.83bb8d7e4438f73d104bab13b227a6da.jpg

Here is what is appears we have in store judging from the remaining structure, but anything is possible it seems!

1856844868_GiantMar131.jpg.e36b28388822321671737b7b7a61278e.jpg

and just a refresher on what this looked like less than 4 months ago. It's quite remarkable really!

1824914386_GiantnewbunnyJul52.jpg.c2bce2654a89c9e894d2857cc43ae716.jpg

looking back towards the nearly completed drop

463046896_GiantnewbunnytrackJul52.jpg.75369e361a9dfa9cb4380fec78b85585.jpg

and one more tid bit of predictive profiling. I did this one in yellow as well because I have no idea what that drop and turn before the newest bunny hill will be for sure.

603816526_GiantMar132.png.898633e2967937d98b781f52c6266f90.png

and another look back

Edited by Zingoman

I don't think I ever liked the helix. It was a very dull portion of an otherwise very wild ride. I'm certain it will be back, but hopefully they will spice it up a bit, like making it drop to the ground and do a low turn after it crosses over the lift, and before coming back over the lift again. I do hope they keep the two turns over the lift. I think that was one of the aesthetic signatures of the ride. It wouldn't look like Giant at all anymore without that.

Well they had to (tear up the helix) in order to do the lift hill, and I really liked that helix albeit it was taken kind of slow recently. So hopefully they keep the helix.

What does the helix have to do with the lift hill? The only new thing with the lift is the extra 10 feet at the top as far as I know.

I was talking about the turns over the lift hill. I think of those as helixes. That's what I was saying. They made the ride look like it did and like Zingoman said, the ride wouldn't be the same without it.

Well they had to (tear up the helix) in order to do the lift hill, and I really liked that helix albeit it was taken kind of slow recently. So hopefully they keep the helix.

What does the helix have to do with the lift hill? The only new thing with the lift is the extra 10 feet at the top as far as I know.

I think what he was referring to was the fact that they had to remove that side of the helix to make the lift accessible for construction. It was in the way so they cut it down until the lift is ready is my take on it.

Yeah, I get what you mean, but track could probably be placed even with the helix still there. Didn't they tear down the entire helix structure anyways?

They did. But like I said, all we can do is speculate whether it'll make a return or not. Because if it doesn't, the Giant wouldn't be the same even with the retracking.

this project looks more and more impressive everytime new material is posted. Very excited about it. When I rode Texas Giant back in the mid 90's or so it was my number 1 wood and it's still in my top 5 based on those rides that year. I hope this overhaul returns the ride to its former glory and moves up my top ten list. This could be the only coaster ever to be in a top 10 for both wood and steel.

^Yes they are retracking the whole ride, and only certain parts of the wooden structure that need to be replaced are being replaced, and as far as we know, only certain parts of the layout are being altered such as the double up after the first drop, the midcourse brake run will cease to exist (I believe so) and there was something else I just don't remember at this current moment.

^ I've been wondering about the midcourse actually. A friend and I have discussed the idea of it not being there anymore and just running two trains with a pretty swift lift hill speed. What made you think it won't be back?

^Don't for get about the second double up sitting just inside the first double up. I also believe they will remove the MCB as it seems to me they want the ride to maintain it's speed. It would not shock me to see them add some cool re-profiling to the helix. I also expect them to add some fun surprises to the final run around the perimeter leading into the final break run.

^^^You should really go back and read the whole thread. I think you will find your answers all over the place. Not to mention the fact that the thread is quite informative and very enlightening.

^ I've been wondering about the midcourse actually. A friend and I have discussed the idea of it not being there anymore and just running two trains with a pretty swift lift hill speed. What made you think it won't be back?

Well I tried to look for that answer (and looking through 65 pages just wasn't fun enough) but I remember when they first released a lot of important details, I remember sources saying the midcourse would not return. Or so I heard.