TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I think this has the potential to work out really well and it will be a lot of fun to ride. In fact, it could end up being a top coaster. However, it is a steel coaster. It doesn't matter what a group of marketing people for Six Flags think. It is steel by definition and they can advertise it as whatever they want, but it will never make it in any official record books for having anything related with being a wooden coaster. I'm sure they will advertise it as a being one of a kind and having the steepest drop. But that has nothing to do with what will actually work for record books. It's similar to CGA building the Survivor "roller coaster." They advertised it as a coaster, but it's not actually considered one.

Edited by sixflagsguy5

^I would be all for it. Not only would that ride (presumably) get much better, but in making it a steelie, it'd provide even more reason for CP to get a new wood coaster .

In terms of the Giant, though, I don't have a problem with what they're doing, nor would I be upset to see the trend spread to other rides. I can't see this technology "shutting down" the wooden coaster business or displacing GG or GCI by stealing their new coaster business. And to be honest, I'd kinda like to see CF touch up some of their struggling coasters.

Except SoB. Just kill that one.

Woodie-steelie classification as of late has become pretty meaningless, IMO. For example, El Toro is technically a wooden coaster, yet it feels more like a steelie. I don't know how others feel about this, but when building material and ride experience no longer influence each other, I just feel the whole system loses its meaning.

I don't think this kind of rehab is going to end with Texas Giant, especially if it's a success.

It may be time for a third category of coasters since these steel rails on wood structure coasters aren't 100% wood or steel. I'd call them 'hybrid' coasters since they are really a fusion of both wood and steel.

I don't think this kind of rehab is going to end with Texas Giant, especially if it's a success.

It may be time for a third category of coasters since these steel rails on wood structure coasters aren't 100% wood or steel. I'd call them 'hybrid' coasters since they are really a fusion of both wood and steel.

Actually, coasters with steel rails on wood structure are 100% wood coasters...Again the structure has nothing to do with determining the type of coaster...In reality the only true hybrid coaster that I am aware of would have been Son Of Beast...The loop was all steel making it a coaster that had actually wood and steel tracking according to the definition...However, it's not to say that the definition will one day change..But as of now the new TG will be classified as steel...Also, I believe it's going to be a very good coaster and if it works their are many coasters out there that should have this done..

Actually, coasters with steel rails on wood structure are 100% wood coasters...Again the structure has nothing to do with determining the type of coaster...In reality the only true hybrid coaster that I am aware of would have been Son Of Beast...The loop was all steel making it a coaster that had actually wood and steel tracking according to the definition...However, it's not to say that the definition will one day change..But as of now the new TG will be classified as steel...Also, I believe it's going to be a very good coaster and if it works their are many coasters out there that should have this done..

Actually SoB had wood track in the loop. The difference was that it was attached to a steel structure. It can clearly be seen in this picture http://www.coasterimage.com/pictures/albums/_wallpaper/sonofbeast_1280.jpg

I respectfully disagree, there is no wood track at all on this coaster. So, by your definition of a coaster, it is def. a steel coaster. Also, rcdb now says TG is a Steel coaster now.

With all the changes, including the steel cross member and not just the rails, I would be hard pressed to call this a wooden coaster. THough I think that Six flags will continue to classify it as a wooden coaster, as doing so allows them to say they have the record for steepest drop. That would no longer be true if it were steel.

CP was classifying Gemini as a wood coaster at times well into the 1990's. They stopped round the time that the internet had its first big burst. Information = power I guess (or something like that).

Even if this is going to be a steel coaster, it is not going to be a "tubular rail" coaster as probably like 95% of steel coasters are. Maybe we need to start classifying by rail shape? Wood, Tubular, Steel Rail, Box, Dan, etc.

Okay so I am really interested in this referb project because I loved the Texas Giant when it ran halfway decent a decade or more ago. Of course I have been following the artices on amusement today just like everyone else. Did anybody else notice that under their article titled "Renovation Officially Begins on the NEW Texas Giant" that the picture in the article is not even the Texas Giant! The first turn after the drop is all wrong and the second turn that goes over and aroung the lift hill is missing. Someone please tell me that I am wrong! If not WTF amusement today!!

Did anybody else notice that under their article titled "Renovation Officially Begins on the NEW Texas Giant" that the picture in the article is not even the Texas Giant! The first turn after the drop is all wrong and the second turn that goes over and aroung the lift hill is missing. Someone please tell me that I am wrong! If not WTF amusement today!!

Well, if you are talking about the side view photo of Texas Giant, that is indeed the Texas Giant. That view is not one that everyone is familiar with though. Part of the ride is not seen in the photo (far right side) and that is where the helix turns over the lift would be. The people at Amusement Today know the Giant very well, so no worries on them mistaking a photo of another ride for Texas Giant.

Thank GOD! I guess I have never been able to see the coaster from this view before. To be honest, it looks really good from this viewpoint and I think it is better than the pictures six flags always uses for marketing and Onride photo covers.

Actually SoB had wood track in the loop. The difference was that it was attached to a steel structure. It can clearly be seen in this picture http://www.coasterimage.com/pictures/albums/_wallpaper/sonofbeast_1280.jpg

Yeah, and I would like to add that having a steel structure doesn't mean it's not a wooden coaster. Look at coasters built by (the now defunct) CCI, such as Villain, Mega Zeph, Cornball Express, etc.

Thanx for clarifying my mistake...That is a great picture...I couldn't find one that close up and all the pictures I looked at were far away and appeared to be steel...

^It's really not that confusing. Steel track is steel track. If there's no wood involved in the track, then it's not a wooden coaster. There really isn't any gray area there. The support structure could be made out of petrified marshmallows, it doesn't matter. Coaster classification comes from whatever the track is made out of.

^ That can be very confusing at times, and illustrates the need for a third category - the wood/steel hybrid.

Then we can just keep it simple. 100% steel is steel. 100% wood is wood. Wood/steel together is hybrid.

So, by your logic, coasters like The Voyage, Hades, Ravine Flyer II, etc. are all not considered wooden coasters and should be stripped of the awards given to them? What about the fact that ALL wooden coasters use steel for the wheels to ride on?

It's not that difficult of a concept to grasp. As Steve said above me, steel track is steel track, and wooden track is wooden track...simple as that. The supports aren't what changes the experience, thus requiring coasters to be classed differently, the track is what does that.

Like the person above me, I would like to point out that wooden roller coasters wheels run on strips of STEEL. This in itself sort of blurs the line of calling it a wooden coaster then doesn't it? But really, who cares if its a wooden coaster or a steel coaster. Its still a coaster by definition isn't it? Everyone should just be happy six flags is refurbishing a ride to make it better.

^^ That wasn't what I was getting at. Steel has to be used, because just bare wood would be torn apart very quickly. There really aren't many other options other than steel strips. My point being...steel on the track has been used since the early 1900s (probably earlier) and no one has said anything about the classification of the coaster until now, from what I am aware of. Wooden track has barely changed over decades, it is what it is, and now, because there is a steel strip, it should be re-classified as a hybrid because of some new track?