TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I don't think anyone knows how this change is really going to turn out. The end result could be a huge success or it could blow up in the face of Six Flags. Whether you like the change or not, you at least can't knock Six Flags for trying something new and different here. I'm sure the publicity is good for the park.

I think the response so far on TPR would agree with you.

^ And if the new track ends up turning it even into a "good" ride, then that's a HUGE improvement! Regardless if it's a wood or steel coaster.

I still think it's bs though, Why couldn't they just plop a Terminator clone in there, they cost around the same.

I don't know about all of you, but if there is any coaster in need of a refurb like this more than Texas Giant, it would be Son of Beast.

I mean imagine the same Son of Beast but extremly smooth with a steeper drop, 95 degree turns, and a return of the infamous loop since the track would be steel. Would this not be the makings of the greatest wooden coaster ever?

Anyway, I'm excited to see what happens with Texas Giant.

^Personally, I think knocking Son of Beast down, burning the resulting pile of wood, sowing the ground with salt and holy water, then building an Intamin woodie in its place would have more potential for being the greatest coaster ever. But to each his or her own.

I don't know about all of you, but if there is any coaster in need of a refurb like this more than Texas Giant, it would be Son of Beast.

I mean imagine the same Son of Beast but extremly smooth with a steeper drop, 95 degree turns, and a return of the infamous loop since the track would be steel. Would this not be the makings of the greatest wooden coaster ever?

Sure, except, just like in this case, it would no longer be a wooden coaster.

So with the lift hill being completely re-profiled and raised 10ft, I'm guessing we can say goodbye to that funky slope/transition at the top of the first drop?

^ And if the new track ends up turning it even into a "good" ride, then that's a HUGE improvement! Regardless if it's a wood or steel coaster.

I still think it's bs though, Why couldn't they just plop a Terminator clone in there, they cost around the same.

I don't think they'd want to rename it the Texas Midget. j/j

All I can say is, this is a good thing. This ride was horrible when I rode it in 06. The improvements can only help the ride. If this is a success, I can only hope that they use the same technology on some older woodies that could use a facelift. (Cough! Cough! Colossus back to it's original layout with no MCBR! Cough! Cough!)

Guy "The great racer shall rise again!" Koepp

^ Colossus' ORIGINAL layout, or what most people know prior to the double dip being removed. If SFMM restored the 1978 version, they'd have two flying coasters---only with Colossus, riders would really fly!

Trust me, I rode it then...

Eric

^Personally, I think knocking Son of Beast down, burning the resulting pile of wood, sowing the ground with salt and holy water, then building an Intamin woodie in its place would have more potential for being the greatest coaster ever. But to each his or her own.

Thats what I was preaching for Texas Giant.

I laughed out loud! You just made my evening!

Rocky Mountain Construction has released some information about the new track design:

http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/

Steel coasters and old fashioned “woodies” both have their advantages. Why not combine the best of both? RMC introduces a revolutionary prefabricated all steel track for wood coasters.

• Less construction cost than other premanufactured tracks for wood coasters

• Our five year performance guarantee minimizes the maintenance and down-time of conventional tracks

• Less daily maintenance time inspecting tracks equals significant long term savings

• Retrofit your existing ride into a state of the art attraction-new excitement mean new customers

• Re-profiling with our all steel track offers a smooth ride for better risk management

• World class engineering and fabrication can economically provide a world class ride

• Automated welding insures quality control

track-1.jpg.e1c6047b28873e7e1ebbfee85e419406.jpg

“After rebuilding many tracks, the need became clear for something better. After three years of development and engineering, we now have the solution.” - Fred Grubb, President RMC

flyer-4.thumb.jpg.c6a15b8d5ae5e41e9560028ca6ac848b.jpg

flyer-3.thumb.jpg.c2242d70179274faff5ebcadba4bb136.jpg

RMC-Flyer.pdf

The flyer from the Rocky Mountain Construction company regarding this technology

^ Colossus' ORIGINAL layout, or what most people know prior to the double dip being removed. If SFMM restored the 1978 version, they'd have two flying coasters---only with Colossus, riders would really fly!

Trust me, I rode it then...

Eric

As did I my friend, as did I. And I must say, it was memorable, exciting, and liberating. I can honestly say, that is the coaster that created the enthusiast you see before your eyes today. I have only come close to that kind of ride on one other coaster. El Toro.

Question: Has the ride lost riders in the last few years for them to do this? If so, do they think that more people enjoy steel rides better than wood, or is it just this ride only? It doesn't make sense to me. My prayer is that I hope this doesn't start a new trend.

^I think it goes back to Six Flags' recent trend of refurbishing and retooling some of their existing rides to try to re-excite people about them rather than building something new. Texas Giant was absolutely unbearable when I rode it last year, and I'm surely not the only one that thought so.

And I wholeheartedly agree, I REALLY hope this doesn't become a regular thing. No matter how good the ride may end up being, I'll hate seeing woodies disappear in lieu of steel track.