TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Texas Giant: Sponsored by the Toyota Prius.

So the ride ops will get error messages saying brake errors even though they are working correctly?

Yep, they will hear a buzz and a yellow message saying "Texas Giant has broken down." Once that happens the train will come through and make a red explosion and have a buzzing red message appear saying "Texas Giant has crashed!". Then once you a touch the ride and go to the gears tab, it will say "Station Brakes Failure" in orange letters.

I heard the story from people who worked at the park then (from a fan site). Apparently, the G trains stalled and they removed them and put the PTC's on from Eagle for media day.

I wasn't sure about the story i was told on that, Thanks for clearing that up. I wish they would just get rid of the Gerstlauer trains, the Boss would be so much better.

So, it's Plug'n'play track just composed of a steel form? That's what I'm getting here..

Not really. To me it looks more like steel I-beam track that has been used in other coasters, like Superman: The Escape, Hypersonic, and Jaguar. I would seem that what took most of the engineering development time was how to make it so that it's light enough to be used on the wooden structure.

Granted this is based on the very limited number of pictures we've see so far but it looks much more like the track from the rides I described than it does "plug n play" track.

Go back and few pages and look at the photos I posted and you'll see.

--Robb

This "New Texas Giant" will have high standards for me, more than likely. When I rode Texas Giant back in August, it was SMOOTH and one of the best coasters I've been on. Such an amazing ride. So if they're making all these improvements in an attempt to make it better (since it was "bad") then my standards are probably higher than most. Does this make sense?

So am I correct in assuming that this type of structure should result in fewer labor hours for maintenance than the previous wooden structure? If so, I could see that fitting into the industry's need to streamline operating costs while still raising the bar on guests' expectations.

Either way, call it what you wish and just know that we're in for a helluva ride when it opens!

^^Wait.....you rode it in August.....and it was..........................SMOOTH?!?!?!?!?!

Cause I rode it in mid-August last year and my friend and I literally rode one more ride and left because of how bad our headaches were from that ride. It was bumpy, shuffled a TON, and rattled in a fashion very similar to Mean Streak. Of all the words in the English language I could use to describe that ride, "smooth" would be one of the very last I would use.

Giant *does* have it's smooth days: the ones after it's rained. I do remember it raining sometime in August last year ..

Seriously, if you could catch Giant after a decent rainstorm or a long period of drizzle, it was like night and day. The last few years have seen a sprinkler system they installed back around 98 FINALLY being used, but not enough. The wood needs to be soaked, plus the rails weren't getting wet.

Meanwhile, I've seen enthusiasts who find certain seats that ride at reduced jostling, and ride it over and over again at the Lone Star Coasterthon event. Every year, there they are in the same seat, close to the back.

Personally, I've long been a front-seat rider Giant rider because it was the smoothest I could find. At this past Coasterthon event, I finally felt it taking a toll on my tolerance. So for me, this reconstruction came just in time..

It seems Six Flags is still classifying the Texas Giant as wooden coaster...

Curious about some of the Texas Giant renovations? How bout the steepest drop IN THE WORLD at 79 degrees?! Pics to come soon...

Correct - New Texas Giant has steepest WOODEN coaster drop in the world. Can't wait to test it out!

Wow I just thought it was a typo at first! I can not believe it will have the steepest wooden drop in the world! Thats just 1º from being as steep as Millennium Force's! I have never been to SFOT, but I think in 2011 I know what I'll be doing during spring break, or maybe summer break?

I think the new Texas Giant will have the potential to be as good as people say El Toro is. If they add a few airtime hills somewhere, I think it will have to be. Cedar Fair really could take some advice from Six Flags. Recently Six Flags has just been renovating rides making them seem brand new isntead of buying $20,000,000+ coasters! Cedar Point could do the same thing to Mean Streak, advertise it as a new roller coaster, and their already great collection of coasters would be better!

-track length might be about 400 feet shorter

-no confirmation yet as to whether the "magic carpet finale" will stay, but the engineers have been told it's a favorite

-the most likely place for this 95-degree-banked turn is just before what is now known as "Curt's Curve," located just after the peak of the hill after safety brake

and the million-dollar question..

if you MUST have steel or wood, then it's steel. The park believes it to be a hybrid combination, though, as said in the press release.

Edited by skyscreems

Ah I see now, but I have a feeling the ride won't be a smooth one, but I have just gathered expectations for this ride. I'm curious to see what they're going to do with this now. Maybe a wooden counterpart of Big Boom + the 95* turns?

So this may be covered somewhere, but are they getting new trains as well? And what kind will they be?

Thanks for all the updates. I read thru about 15 pages but couldn't find any specifics on the rolling stock.

Thanks!

Yes, Gerstlauer trains are in store for Giant. Which, if you're anything like me and several others watching this project, disappoints even MORE after this development. But then again, maybe this can help those trains run better..

Heh, that was about 9 pages ago, posted yesterday

Look what Mike posted to me when I said, "Well isn't it a steel coaster now to?"

@zacqua10 Correct. Should we create a new name for something like this? Stooden Coaster? I have no clue. Just know I'm excited.

I accidentally deleted my post though. I also said something about it being a hybrid. Mike is just in the New York office, he doesn't know much...

If it is smooth as I think it will be I believe will take #1 Wooden Rollercoaster again. It's like it's rising from the ashes

As for the clasification debate, I believe it will still be considered wooden, just look at the track, it isn't a circular beam,it still has a wooden rollercoaster brick track.

If it is smooth as I think it will be I believe will take #1 Wooden Rollercoaster again. It's like it's rising from the ashes

Long time observer but first time poster.....I'm sorry to say this is no longer a wooden rollercoaster...However, it's not to say it will not be good...A matter a fact it may be great...But to classify this as a wooden coaster is wrong...It's as much as a wooden coaster as Voyage or Cyclone(Coney) would be considered a steel coaster...I will miss the Texas Giant(Wooden) the early years that is...