TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Newsplusnotes:

The ride will be closed for the 2010 season, and when it reopens in 2011 it will be "steeper, faster, and loaded with special effects" says park President Steve Martindale. Also revealed is that most of the ride's structure will remain in place, and they estimate about 15% of the ride's configuration will be changed.

Just adding up the details.

I think this will make SFOT a more talked about park. I don't hear much about it and it's one of the best parks I've been to!

-Intamin Bobsled

-Mr. Freeze

-Titan

-New and improved giant woodie

-Great indoor coaster

-Dark Ride

-Beautiful atmosphere

-Batman

-Fun Mine Train

-S&S Combo Tower

-Parachute ride

Yup, I can't wait to go back and visit!!

-JZ

Article & Video here

By JOHN AUSTIN

jaustin@star-telegram.com

ARLINGTON -- At a signal from Bugs Bunny, a yellow bulldozer pulled a chunk out of the Texas Giant roller coaster Monday morning, starting a $10 million renovation of the wooden ride that has been carrying Six Flags passengers since 1990.

When the dust cleared, a four-man chainsaw crew went to work under blustery skies as a crowd of employees looked on.

“Most of the structure will remain,” said Steve Martindale, park president, noting that the timbers are pressure treated and "should last 30 to 50 years.” The portion removed, he said, "needed to come out anyway" as part of a redesign.

There will be big changes will be to the track and cars. Martindale promised a steeper, faster ride loaded with special effects.

“The profile is going to be substantially different,” Martindale said. “We’re probably going to change 15 percent of the track configuration.”

The project is supposed to be finished in time for opening day, 2011.

Gene Moore, lead man at the park’s carpentry shop, has logged nearly 21 years at the park. Since the Texas Giant opened he’s been part of the team that inspects the ride to make sure it doesn’t come undone . On Monday he drove the bulldozer that pulled part of the frame down.

“I’ve spent many a day up on that thing,” said Moore, who’s looking forward to the next version of the giant. “It’s gonna be interesting.”

• 1 month later...
I can't help but think fire and on-board audio will be involved some how....

Am I the only one who really wishes "special effects" would not be a term applied to coasters like this?

I agree with you 100%. Im getting tired of these lame SF effects. Just build a good ride and effects aren't needed. I hate on board audio, especially on wooden coasters. The natural sounds of the coaster and its riders are far better than listening to a song that you can hear anytime you want. The flames are just lame. Terminator would be just as good of a coaster without all that junk.

lol, at the random construction bugs bunny in the video.

Anyways, Special Effects should only be used when needed. I've heard that they enhanced the ride for Terminator. Like it adds on to it.

However, I think On board audio is horrible. I mean it was needed for Rock'n Roller Coaster staring Aerosmith, but it was not needed for Bizzarro.

Thats my say on the special effects and OBA.(on board audio)

-Matt

• 1 month later...

http://www.amusementtoday.com/

Six Flags Over Texas will unveil the track of the new wooden coaster, Texas Giant on Wednesday, March 3 at 10 a.m. at Texas Giant ride site.

The unveiling of the track on will officially kick off the year long reconstruction process of the Texas Giant. This $10 Million project is being constructed by Rocky Mountain Construction Group and will involve state-of- the-art, never done before elements that will have industry and non-industry people talking for years to come. The new ride will be unveiled in 2011, during the park’s 50th Anniversary celebration year.

TexasGiant_JH.gif.a420dfe0daa7d1d688a3b0fb48a5cf26.gif

http://www.wbap.com/Article.asp?id=1719448&spid=

Faster, higher, sharper. Steve Martindale can't help but get excited when he talks about the new and improved Texas Giant. "The top speed will eclipse the old Texas Giant and will run up to 65 miles an hour," said Martindale, president of Six Flags Over Texas. "Most exciting to me, the new track will enable us to bank the track at an incredible 95 degrees."

The 2010 season opens at Six Flags on Saturday, but the Texas Giant won't run again until spring, 2011, when the $10 million renovation is expected to be done.

On Wednesday, crews from Rocky Mountain Construction hoisted the first section of fire-engine red, steel track into place on the wooden frame of the 20-year-old coaster. "It represents thousands of hours of engineering, applied physics and, as you can imagine, some pretty serious math," Martindale said.

In the highly competitive theme park industry and with the U.S. economy still slogging along, Martindale and the rest of the staff at Six Flags hope the renovated and re-worked Texas Giant helps the Arlington park to compete. "Everyone's always looking for that next big thing," Martindale said. "We expect this to be something that, not only people from Texas, but probably from all over the world are going to want to come and experience."

4204790.jpg.01a166c017458173fc63338c3eb6d073.jpg

The first piece of new track is raised into position on the wooden frame of the Texas Giant roller-coaster.

UPDATE! Amusement Today has more on the story:

http://www.amusementtoday.com/

During a press introduction Wednesday, the Arlington, Texas park, debuted the newest in track design for the traditional wooden coaster with the unveiling of Iron Horse Coaster track. The steel I-beam design is the result of three years of engineering. The Chinchillian Red painted track is not bent, but is cut, then welded together in 40 to 53-foot lengths before being bolted to the Texas Giant's wooden support structure. The new track design does not use any wood on the track bed, nor does it use any track bolts.

Video of the media event can be found here: http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dallasnews/entertainment/index.html?nvid=413265&stry

TxGiantQuad23.gif.b875fd6a752c2f4ad03628bd09c1564c.gif

On Wednesday, crews from Rocky Mountain Construction hoisted the first section of fire-engine red, steel track into place on the wooden frame of the 20-year-old coaster.

So wait a second...are they replacing the wood track with steel track? Like Gemini style? I don't quite understand what they are doing to this ride.

From this article is sounds like they are converting it into a steel coaster using a wood structure.

--Robb

^That's what it sounds like to me too. So is this going to be a steel coaster now? I wonder if they will be using the steel track for just the overbank element or if it will now cover the entire ride. Are we looking at a new Son of Beast (wood coaster with a steel loop) or a new Gemini?

So wait a second...are they replacing the wood track with steel track? Like Gemini style? I don't quite understand what they are doing to this ride.

From this article is sounds like they are converting it into a steel coaster using a wood structure.

--Robb

Robb I second you on this... I am very confused as to what is going on. Is the entire ride going to be new steel track, or is it just going to be bits and pieces of steel track?! I am confused. I guess we will find out in due time though...

~Matthew

Since Texas doesn't have that many big wooden coasters, it's kind of disappointing to see it lose it's authenticity. However, it's exciting to see major refurbs happen to it. I'm really excited to see the outcome. I wish they would redo The Rattler (and of course do away with the stupid helix crap). I rode it (Rattler) before the redo and the drop and fan turn was much better before. That's another conversation, though.