TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

It isn't fussing, it is discussing. No matter what anyone says it was a stupid move and what success? What do u call success. Profits werent up last year when they installed these coasters. Also the people I knew that drove down there to ride Tony Hawk said that the ride was a waste of gas going. These were not coaster enthusiats these were people with CHILDREN quote unquote FAMILIES. The children even said EHHH that was all.

Now see, I hate to hear things like this when so much praise is going to SFMM cleaning up their act, but the truth is the truth. Six Flags has a moniker of being "THE PLACE" for thrills. I don't think that the company as a whole can ever escape that. I mean adding family oriented rides here and there isn't enough to make up for 15 years of neglecting you r park. I applaude the effort, and the company is moving in the right direction, but I see this as a trial and error period. Those Tony Hawk rides aren't going to offset the balance of Six Flags being teen and college kid parks. Simply adding milder coasters and rides will just result in those teens just riding weaker rides. Was adding a Tony Hawk coaster a good idea? I say it was a neutral one. I say if you want to attract families, animal or stage shows are the best way to do that. SFG ADV does fine because they have shows. There is more to do than just let your kids stand in line for El Toro while you sit on a bench. However it does not seem like this is a common goal for all chain parks. But oh well. I always say, I'm not the one who gets the final say, so what I think doesn't matter, it's just nice to say it anyway.

I think the reason for wanting families is money. Theme Park CEO's look at Disney and think that they can compete with them. NO ONE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO COMPETE WITH MICKEY. Six Flags was always a place where kids graduated to when they outgrew THE MOUSE. Now I do think that part of the success of Disney is theming. Same with Universal Studios. Not only do u get to getaway for a few days physically but you also get to get away mentally. You are immediately thrusted into another WORLD. Now think about it, what is more fun and relaxing, a nice cool ride on a basic Tidal Wave at a Six Flags park or a refreshing ride on Jurassic Park at Universal Studios? Jurassic will win hands down. You get an adventure along with the water. Everyday I look at the POV's of coasters from parks in Europe and I would enjoy Nemesis more than Batman. So in a nutshell you not only get away when you go to SF but you GETAWAY when you go to Universal Studios. Start letting Universal Studios start building heavily themed El Toro's, Tatsu's and X's and see not only will they get the kiddies but they will get the thrill seekers also.

Six Flags will never get the "families" like Universal or Disney but they can bring the thrill seekers back by competing with Cedar Point, because that is what they are good at.

I said in another post Tony Hawk didn't make that big of an impact on the revenue last year. I knew people who DROVE to SFFT last year to ride and and the parents as well as the kids thought it was a waste of gas and the kids got off and said that it was sorry. I started outgrowing Six Flags because they weren't adding rides worth nothing in my area and got immuned to the park. That is the REAL reason Six Flags Astroworld's attendance was down is because they never added anything thrilling and people got tired of going because it became blah. The tallest coaster we had was 110ft and the park never expanded.

If we had gotten a Nitro, El Toro, XI or even Goliath at XFIG, the attendance would have been up.

So Mr. Shapiro you cant abandon thrill seekers much and go after a market that you will never never never get. Look at Cedar Point. There is a park with absolutely no theming whatsoever and they have millions of people passing through their turnstiles. They stick to what they know. If Six Flags is willing to invest billions of dollars in making an Expedition Everest like at Disney and maybe you will get a broader customer than just thrill seekers.

Astroworld had a big mountain that had a coaster in it in the 70's that they stopped using and the mountain just stayed there for years, now they had the mountain, all they had to do is bring in a coaster company to run a coaster through it. The theming was basically already there but they never used it.

Mark Shapiro said himself that the days of buy $20 million rollercoasters were over. Almighty Fire makes a strong case that I totally agree with. Six Flags can't get the families that Disney can. Cedar Fair can't get the families that Disney can. Anheiser Busch Can't get the families that Disney can. Disney has the family experience on lock. No one is going to steal that market away from them. Now everyone bad mouths Six flags because they say that families are where the money is-and teens don't have money...newsflash, neither do kids. I think Six Flags would do just fine by expanding their ride counts and cleaning up their operation. If Six Flags had two parks that could compete with Cedar Point (SFMM & SFGAD) in both thrill rides, family rides, and shows, then I bet Six Flags could turn their image around. Adding a coaster every year, maybe not the best idea, but adding family rides with no themeing and horrible capacity isn't exactly cooling the fire either.

As for the cloning.

Park chains buy multiple rides from the same manufacturer due to some type of discount, which is great, but be original.

There is not a single Six Flags park that has a custom B&M Invert, they're all Batman clones. The only reason Tatsu ended up with a custom layout is because of A:the terrain, and B: the record. Otherwise, IT TOO would have been a Superman Flyer Clone.

I'm sure that once Six Flags realizes that it won't make money chasing the family market either, we will see them slip back into their old ways.

• 4 months later...

http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/info/News_GlowInTheParkAnnouncement.aspx

Six Flags Over Texas Introduces 'Glow In The Park'— A New Nighttime Parade

The Glow in the Park Parade Will Showcase World-Renowned Creative Team Including Cirque Du Soleil’s Chief Composer

Benoit Jutras

Six Flags Over Texas guests will watch in awe as the rich heritage of the Lone Star State comes to life with drummers, puppeteers, singers, dancers and kinetic stilt walkers creating an unparalleled nighttime spectacular in the all-new Glow in the Park parade. Glow in the Park will incorporate the artistic talents of a highly distinguished production team to present the largest nighttime parade in the Southwest

The parade will utilize the combined talents of a world-renowned creative group to help transform the park into a fantasyland of light, sound and motion. The Gary Goddard Entertainment team is responsible for creating several attractions at various theme parks throughout the world including "The Spiderman Adventure" and "T2/3D" at Universal Studios Florida and "The Jurassic Park River Adventure" at Universal Studios in California. GGE is also the mastermind behind the Georgia Aquarium. For Glow in the Park, Goddard has enlisted one of Cirque Du Soleil's premier composers, Benoit Jutras, to produce the music for the parade. Raul Rodriguez, the internationally acclaimed conceptual parade designer, was commissioned to create the float designs. Michael La Fleur, whose résumé includes artistic coordinator for Celine Dion's "A New Day" in Las Vegas, Imagineer for Disney and extensive Broadway musical and play work, will create fluid choreographed numbers for the Glow in the Park performers.

"Six Flags Over Texas is pleased to offer such an impressive production. This is like no other parade you've ever seen," said Steve Martindale, Six Flags Over Texas Park President. "We are dedicated to providing world class, family entertainment and we're confident the new Glow in the Park parade will be a popular addition to an already diverse collection of park offerings."

The Glow in the Park nighttime parade will step off in Gotham City and end at Star Mall. The parade will feature six custom-designed floats, 65 performers and approximately 35 support staff members and technicians. One special float will celebrate the unique and proud heritage of the Lone Star State, complete with cowboys, ten-gallon hats and Texas pride. This spectacular event makes its debut May 23 and will run weekends only through June 7. Daily parade operation will begin June 12 and will run nightly through August 16.

In 2009, Six Flags Over Texas will continue to offer "More Flags, More Fun" year-round for the entire family with more than 100 rides, shows and attractions. From monster coasters and kid-friendly thrills to special events like Spring Break Out, Festival Latino, The Best of Texas Festival, Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, Six Flags Over Texas has established itself as the Entertainment Capital of Texas.

Guests can enjoy all the park has to offer next season by purchasing a 2009 Six Flags Season Pass for $65.99, plus tax. This is the lowest price of the year and it pays for itself in just two visits. Plus, the 2009 Season Pass booklet includes five Bring-A-Friend free tickets valid on selected days. Guests who purchase their '09 Season Passes now can enjoy Fright Fest presented by SNICKERS® AND Holiday in the Park for the remainder of the '08 season. Passes are on sale now at www.sixflags.com. For those in search of fun by land and water, the 2009 Two-Park Combo Pass, good at both Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, is just $99.99 — two great parks for one low price. The 2009 season at Six Flags Over Texas promises to be filled with plenty of thrilling family fun, entertainment and excitement!

• 6 months later...

The Texas Giant will be going through extensive rehabilitation in 2010 for the park's 50th anniversary. The rehabilitation will include new trains and major track work to smooth out the ride.

Mark Shapiro also announced that SFOT will receive a major new attraction in 2011 as will every Six Flags park.

Article here: http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/1260267.html

Edited by robbalvey

This is exciting news for Texas Giant fans and for people around the world that want their favorite woodie to be good again!

I really wish more details of the refurbishment were stated. I wonder is there is some new technology that assists in redesigning specific elements, banking, drops, etc... in order to smooth out a rough coaster. I hope SOB and Mean Streak are next:)

Why do people keep saying Mean Streak is getting refurbished this year? Just because there has been some new wood added in places, doesn't mean it is being overhauled like people are making it out to be. They are simply replacing some bad wood in certain areas, like they do every off season, the same thing was done on Gemini as well. Cedar Point orders new wood every off season and replaces old wood where needed on Mean Streak, Gemini, CCMR, and Blue Streak. Going by the definition of the word "refurbishment," Mean Streak is technically getting "refurbished," but nowhere near as much or big as people are making it out to be.

Now Texas Giant's refurbishment sounds like a huge project, one that's very noteworthy. It's great to see a Dinn given some love and made a better ride.

^ I know that, but is the refurbishment's on SOB and Mean Streak as extensive as what they are expecting with TG. I mean they are always doing track work on MS. I haven't ever seen anything this extensive done to the ride. SOB just took out a loop and added some new/old trains.

To me sounds like some work on a higher level, including track modifications and brand new trains built specifically for TG.

I am only wondering. I am not a physics expert by any means so I do not know what is possible if enough money is put into it.

I was mainly referring to Scruffy's post, and everyone who's ever said, in the Rumor Thread and whatnot, "OMG Mean Streak is being refurbed this off season and is returning to it's old form..I can't wait to ride it to see how much it has improved!"

From the sound of it, Mean Streak's isn't even close to being as extensive. Mean Streak seems like routine maintenance that is probably done every off season. I'd like to see Mean Streak completely overhauled and returned to it's old form also. Perhaps Cedar Fair can do to Mean Streak what Six Flags did with X, S:ROS, Medusa, and now Texas Giant? That would be pretty cool.

Not only does Six Flags Over Texas get a major ride, every park does. This means probably at Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2011 will once again take control of the coasters at parks record over Cedar Point. This may also mean that all the parks are getting phenominal coasters that year. It would also get SFNE to 10 coasters, which it would be the fifth six flags park to do so.( If there still alive in 2011)

Im in agreement, its been 20 years since this thing went up without any major work to the coaster, since this is my home park, I can testify without a doubt that the ride has gotten progressively rougher over the years, so much I cant ride it anymore because of my back and head. Im hoping for three things:

A)Major work to the ride structure as a whole, smoothing it out accordingly.

B) New Cars, as the current have too much jump and jutter

C) Total area cleanup & renovation to ride station, entrance line, ect..

This is great news. But I wonder what a "major new attraction" is to Six Flags. Wiggles World? Tony Hawk's Big Spin Clone? New Major Coaster?

When SFOT got Tony Hawk last year, they treated it as a major new attraction. Afterall it was their first new coaster since Batman was added in 1999.

Seeing SFoT is turning 50 in 2011, I have a feeling they're going to go all out to redo the park as a whole. Maybe they'll finally get some decent flood control on Johnson Creek, which runs right through the park and has been known to shut down the park if it floods. Besides the big work on Giant, Most of the other work will be theming, as the park could use some redo/upkeep on ride stations, buildings, ect. Maybe they'll get rid of that Alamo facade they had at the back of the park, if they havent already...

Seeing SFoT is turning 50 in 2011, I have a feeling they're going to go all out to redo the park as a whole. Maybe they'll finally get some decent flood control on Johnson Creek, which runs right through the park and has been known to shut down the park if it floods. Besides the big work on Giant, Most of the other work will be theming, as the park could use some redo/upkeep on ride stations, buildings, ect. Maybe they'll get rid of that Alamo facade they had at the back of the park, if they havent already...

The alamo facade was recently repainted then torn down a couple weeks before the park opened for the season.

When SFOT got Tony Hawk last year, they treated it as a major new attraction. Afterall it was their first new coaster since Batman was added in 1999.

No, actually Titan was the last coaster added. It debuted in 2001!

I'm a really glad they will be doing some major work on The Giant. It is brutal. I would love to be able to ride it again and enjoy it as I did when it first opened. Maybe I can ride it without having to take some Advil before I get on!

The alamo facade was recently repainted then torn down a couple weeks before the park opened for the season.

Good to know, seeing I havent been this season yet...