TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Yeah, now that I think about it...it's kind of odd that the three original Six Flags parks all seem to flood about once or twice a year!?!?

Poor Mind Bender, and Shockwave! That water looked really fun for a Natural Lazy River, or a River Rapids ride!!! I would think that the park would be open tommorow.

-Tatum

During the second day of Lone Star Coasterthon last year it started raining heavily. Within about 30 minutes that bayou was starting to go past it banks and parts of the park were being roped off. Several restaurants (Panda Express near the observation tower for one) had about 4 inches of water on the floor. It continued to rain heavily for almost an hour. A few hours later the water had all drained and the park was back to normal. One of the maintenance guys said it was normal for park to drain really fast after the rain.

All I know is - wet tennis shoes and a lot of walking = major foot pain!

-GG

^Glad it's no a big deal, then! Honestly, I wonder how long the park will have to be closed because of this.

The park will open today.

Much of the staff is going in by 7 to get everything ready to go.

Yeah man, Your Oping Mine Train, Im guessing they closed it?

This happens quite a bit, They modified it I believe the last time it really flooded, so Im not really worried. Anyway, It might just be a little scare like last time, everything will be fine.

This actually happens quite often and really isn't anything for SFOT.... I've worked at the park during a much larger flood then this one. It was the day of the Dada concert back in '91('92?), and I was off that evening to enjoy the concert with a friend. A flash storm hit and it poured and poured for hours straight. The concert got canceled and they closed the park eventually. We got stuck in Texas Hats behind the counter where a friend was working. The water got to about 2 feet inside that stall. When we were finally "rescued" we had to wade through waist deep water before we could make it back to the employee area.

It looks like these floods have eroded the Shock Wave enough that they have closed the Shock Wave and the next to the last bank/turn has been removed. The supports look like they were just about to fall into the water and they are re-building them now. Not sure when it is expected to be re-opened.

It looks like these floods have eroded the Shock Wave enough that they have closed the Shock Wave and the next to the last bank/turn has been removed. The supports look like they were just about to fall into the water and they are re-building them now. Not sure when it is expected to be re-opened.

Actually they are doing track refurbishment...

Actually they are doing track refurbishment...

Ahhh, thank you for the correction. I just assumed it was due to erosion since they had the supports pulled in that area last week when we were out there. It looked like it had some serious erosion in that area recently. I guess the concrete support base should go 15+ feet into the ground.

I think the new policy is going to cause more problems than it solves. In the last two years I have visited SFOT, SFOG, SFSTL, SFKK, Kings Island, Dollywood, Silver Dollar City and I had nothing stolen and I did not see anyone complaining about stolen items. All I left behind at the station was my park drink bottle and my cap. Yes the cubbies take a little time and that system is not perfect (things do get lost and stolen), but using the cubbies is widely accepted by the GP and the procedure runs quite smoothly most of the time. I understand that the lockers solve some problems, but I believe the inconvenience of being forced to use the lockers is not worth it.

I agree with Dazz, we need to let Six Flags and others know that this policy is unacceptable.

I appreciate their attempt to improve things, but this is the wrong way, please try again.

BTW My last name is NOT Marden.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I am 44 and I feel the same way as the 14 year old. It is ok to get a wild mouse type ride but make it different than the one 3 hrs away. Now I live in Houston and all the people here in the Houston, Dallas and San Antonio area travel to the different parks in the area. It is a local park but it doesnt have to be. There are a lot of people in the Houston area who would love to take a one day trip to both parks but if they have the same thing in them then why go to both. If it is a money issue then Six Flags needs to make their parks that are in the SAME STATE totally different. It would give people reasons to drive to each one. Houston and Austin dont have a park and the population of both equates to around 7 million. Now wouldnt it make sense to try to get some of those 7 million to visit both parks instead of one? Yes is the answer and the only way to do that is make both parks different.

Now that is not the truth. I know a lot of people who will jump in the car and drive one way or another. Houston has absolutely nothing to do and so does Austin. I didnt say custom I said another style. It would have made more sense to put in another woodie like evil kneivel than spend another 6 million on a clone that someone can practically walk to. There were other options. I didnt say a hyper coaster but for 6million dollars Tony Hawk looks like a toy that one of our stong winds here in Texas will blow down. I understand that Kneivel cost around the same thing.

Well keep in mind Over Texas is run by a corporation that's in billions of dollars in dept and doesn't have room to install "This summer's greatest ride ever" at their parks for a while. Six Flags added Tony Hawk to because it was a success at Fiesta Texas and the St Louis park and felt it would be a good addition for Over Texas.

Also, Tony Hawk isn't going to be the last addition to the park. Shapiro even stated himself that they are working on 5-year plans for their parks etc..

Long story short, fussing over a Tony Hawk clone is a bit silly.