TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Cell phones, pagers, or other small items must be secured in cargo pockets or waist packs.

Wow, wait a minute, a park that actually understands that cargo pockets are secure?!? Might be nice if other parks would learn this fact. A certain much-loved park by enthusiasts immediately comes to mind...

dt

I'm actually glad that they went to lockers instead of the abovementioned system. A *LOT* of load/unload time is wasted with people crossing through the train, waiting for the previous riders to get their stuff and get out of the way, putting their stuff in the cubby, then returning to their seat... assuming they remember which seat they were going to sit in.

Not to mention the dick weeds who come in from the queue and try to steal your seat while you're stowing your loose articles.

I dont see a problem. There is too much time spent on people trying to leave their belongings on the other side and come and re enter the train. this will speed things up if they go ahead and open the gates as soon as people exit. sit down in the train immeidiatley and RUN and check the bars and dispatch. This should take no longer than 80 secs. So the removal of people going to the other side to secure items is a good idea no matter if it is about money ro not.

The Japanese are particularly concerned about loose objects on rides. For example, you're not allowed to carry anything on Hollywood Dream at Universal Osaka. Before you're allowed in the queue, a host or hostess directs you to a locker, where you have to empty your pockets and stow your other gear. The locker costs 100 yen, but it is refunded when you return for your stuff. LaQua's Thunder Dolphin has actual lockers, which can be actually locked with a key which you can take with you attached to your wrist. (Hmm--a bit of an exception to the loose-item restriction.)

^I was personally shocked at how strict Japanese parks were when it came to loose objects, especially on absolutely forceless rides like Thunder Dolphin. And the ride attendants have no problem patting you down or asking you to turn your pockets inside out to prove you're carrying nothing before you get on the ride. But at least they are very polite about it.

I don't know about SFOT, but I tend to think this is more about the money at SFA. Yeah, they don't allow loose items to be left in the stations of Wild One or Superman. Yet they have the little cubby holes for people to leave their stuff in the stations of Roar, Two-Face, Batwing, and Joker's Jinx.

Who knows? Maybe SFA will apply this policy to all their coasters this season. As it stood last season, the policy was inconsistent and irritating.

In 2007 that was just atrial run & if it went well then they're gonna add mandatory lockers to all coasters in the park...same thing will apply at SFOT in 2008,which is why they're only doing it on 3 coasters there at the moment.

Ever since Snyder took over SFI he's been ALL about what makes money FOR him.So far we've seen outragous parking fees chainwide,additional fees for "premium parking" near the gate & now these mandatory lockers as just another means to an end for Snyder to line his pockets & it's yet another reason why their strategy thus far has failed to turn things around for the chain.

^It's a dollar a locker, don't you think if he was really all about scalping money from you he would have raised the season pass prices. Stop carrying so much crap on the rides.

BTW come to a home Notre Dame football game if you want to see crazy prices for parking. Or a Nascar race.

• 2 weeks later...

In theory I guess it's a good idea for speeding the queue, but I really think they shouldn't have put them where they are. Titan's are all the way at the entrance to the queue, meaning it's quite possible they could run out of lockers on a crowded day.

• 2 weeks later...

Ride Lockers SUCK! I posted the following on the ex-Six Flags employee forums, and I will repost it here. My frustrations with new park policies for this year are just going through the roof...

I am an ACE member and I know how to go to an amusement park. I take the BARE minimum necessities... Cell phone (sometimes I even leave this in the car), Seasons Passes, Credit Card, little bit of cash (note no wallet listed), car key (key is removed from key ring and secured) and my $15.00 Six Flags branded SPORT BOTTLE.

They say these lockers are supposed to save time, but now just getting into line is usually backed up with 2 to 3 employees checking people for loose articles... These people are then forced to either leave their belongings with a "non-rider" or lock them in these lockers. The lockers are only good for 120 (2 hours) minutes and cost $1.00 to use.... Only 2 hours? What is going to happen when the line is 3 hours long and every locker is taken? These lockers are also a BIG eyesore and stand out like a sore thumb near the entrances to these rides.

Sports bottles (and possibly other drinks/food) is considered a loose article and is now contraband for queue lines! Before entering the line with my 2 children, I was harassed and told that I COULD NOT TAKE my newly purchased $15.00 bottle into the 1.5 hour queue line for the Batman. Having 2 children with me that are always asking for something to drink to stay hydrated there is no way in hell was I going to lock my water bottle up... I ended up saying screw it and went immediately to Guest Relations where I put in a formal complaint.

On top of the Ride Lockers.... other park policies are simply making going to Six Flags Over Texas now a really bad experience. I've been 3 times this year so far.... 2 more new policies really tick me off!

Then we went over to Mr Freeze. My 6 year old son is obviously too short to ride, I know this... he knows this. The past 3 years that he has been going he knows to stand with me until it is my turn and then he goes and waits at the exit. BUT... NOOOOOOOO, now he is no longer even allowed to go into the queue line for Mr Freeze. This too is absolute BULLSHIT. In a world with predators every where, I am not going to let my 6 year old son stand at the exit for an hour while the rest of our party wait in line. He doesn't mind waiting in line and is actually very well behaved, he doesn't climb on anything and is normally really quiet, but NO WAY IN HELL am I going to let him stand by the exit alone.

What really gets me is that we left Mr Freeze and walked straight over to Batman and walked right past 3 yellow shirt employees. 2 on locker guard and one measuring people as they went in. They measured him and said he was too short to ride, but they let him past and he stood happily in line. Once we got to the front he simply walked over to the exit like he normally does.

Now what happens if someone is tall enough to ride, but they are a non-rider? Is the non rider not going to be allowed in line? They can simply say they are going to ride, but chicken out when they get to the coaster. Once they get up to the coaster train, are they not going to be permitted to cross over and head to the exit? Are they going to be forced to walk down the line in order to get out? What is the big deal with allowing people to do this? Is this only to make the line appear shorter even though the wait is the same length with non-riders waiting in line with their friends than it is with riders only? Personally I like for my friends (riding or non) to wait in line with me and I don't care if others do it.

Oh, another thing happened that pissed me off once again... My 10 year old daughter and 6 year old son were in line for the Crazy Legs. A ride that they have been riding for the past 2 years with each other. My daughter is very tall, well above the height requirement for a single rider, my son is above the minimum to ride with another person. They rode on Friday without any issues, all of a sudden on Saturday they are no longer allowed to ride with each other... I was standing along the fence watching when I see the ride attendant stop them and they start to turn around... I screamed for them to stop right there. I could see the fear in the attendants eyes when she looked in my direction... I walked over and politely asked what the deal was and she said that the rides now require someone 18+ to ride with a smaller child!?! I said, ok... Instead of taking up one car to ride together, I now have to ride and we'll just take up two. I opened the exit gate and walked on with my son....

Again, are they going to check the ID of anyone wanting to ride that has a smaller rider with them? What the hell does it matter how old someone is to ride a ride, when rides only require a minimum height requirement? Last time I checked the park charged children based on their HEIGHT?

I don't think Six Flags has put thought into their new policies... Sure times change, but it really feels like they are going out of their way to make the park un-friendly to non-riders and inconveniencing riders.

Right now I am one pissed off Six Flags guest and Ex-Six Flags employee. I have already requested that local news stations investigate some of these new policies (specifically the water bottle one), I have put in a formal complaint with Guest Relations, and my next step is going straight to the Park Director and have my passes fully refunded. I'm sorry, but we can't just sit idly by and let companies do this shit... We need to band together and show them that we will not put up with it.

This policy is in effect at Six Flags St. Louis, and to say it nicely, this policy sucks (loose items). At SFSTL, the rides where loose items are not allowed are Tony Hawk, Batman, The Boss and Evel Knievel. Three different areas of the park. Money maker is right, even if you get there on a slow day and do the loop around the park and put a locker in at Batman. If you get thirsty and have your bottle in a ride locker, you have to put another dollar in just to secure it. Other parks don't have this policy but do ban loose items on rides. Holiday World has bins and FREE lockers in ride stations if you want your items locked up. And when I was at the park last season (SFSTL), I tried to rent a locker at the front and the little ones were sold out an hour into the day. I got a big family one, but it was way over kill and it was 15 dollars. What I usually walk around with me is usually a baggie with my SP, drivers license, debit car and around 2 20's, refillable bottle and sometimes my keys. I usually put my camera equipment in a locker until I take a do my camera lap with my video camera and still camera.

Just saw this clip. I had no idea that the area was getting hammered with rain. Hope this doesn't screw up the park too much.

Here's the video clip:

http://video.nbc5i.com/player/?id=230284

And a few screen grabs:

flood4.jpg.5a57e8b46b4d61e1fc32e02af292493a.jpg

At least it's not totally underwater.

flood3.jpg.fba66e69ff336d20e8f01f96de7406f1.jpg

Poor Arrow mine train!

flood2.jpg.b09a3a12337a486f90cf35d3b2e9ba79.jpg

Scuba dive at Six Flags Over Texas?

flood1.jpg.1aeb5e972d1f703a83bcfa905170e809.jpg

Wow, that's a LOT of water!

I am not really too worried about the damage to the rides mostly because the park has been flooded before especially in a flood zone. Anyways, the flood didn't look to bad and the park will probably open up all the rides at sometime.

This almost reminds me of the shots that were taken of Six Flags New Orleans right after the flooding. Everything was gone, except all the coasters. Which really makes you realize how well they're all built, and how unless you disassemble them, they are not going to be coming down. I'm guessing if this doesn't happen too often, its not a problem, but that's a lot of water passing through the park!

My favorite clip of the video: