TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

This is more like comparing Steel Venom and Wicked Twister (which, mind you, are 3.5 hours closer to each other). I'm sure people felt the same about those rides too. Did people come to Cedar Point to ride it? Sure. Did people think they were very much alike? Probably.

Yes, this is probably a better analogy.

I have a few things to comment on.

First, I don;t know where the idea came into play that teens don't spend money. Sure, if a large family comes to a park, they could possibly spend more money, but a teen, with no parental supervision, could spend just as much if not more. Oh... and I don't think that we "teenagers with season passes" cause problems.

Anyways, I am sure that this move will be somewhat, maybe, good for the park, but I always get the feeling when I read posts like that that people are sometimes being hypocritical. When you go to a park, do you say to yourself, "Wow... what a great move for the family, now lets go ride the slow spinner of pure fun."

Also, people always seem to have the wrong idea about SFOT. There are a lot of family and "kiddie" rides. Not only is there Loony Tunes USA, but there are most of the new flat rides, the very tame log flume, La Vibora (a tame Bobsled ride), and many others.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, I just hope people think about what it would be like if this was there home park. (Unless it already is!)

-Andrew

And here I was hoping Shapiro's visit to Europa Park would produce more Euro Mir/Sierra Sidewinders in the States instead of these. I agree the family aspect is a good business decision, just could have made a more original choice of hardware, like the stock Maurer Söhne layout or at the very least, a different theme.

First, I don;t know where the idea came into play that teens don't spend money. Sure, if a large family comes to a park, they could possibly spend more money, but a teen, with no parental supervision, could spend just as much if not more.

When it's said that teens don't spend money at the parks, it's just that. They don't spend a fraction as much as families, if at all.

Majority of the groups of teens that visit parks don't blow cash on souvenirs, premium line passes, sit-down restaurants, valet parking the way a father of a family of four will.

In the following, when I say teens, I mean A GREAT DEAL OF the teens that visit amusement parks, NOT every case, but MANY cases. Teens ask for cups of water with their single slice of pizza rather than buy the souvenir cup, teens don't pay for valet parking, teens cut in line, teens use derogatory language and are loud, teens run and chase each other around the park, teens smoke outside designated areas, teens deface park property.

Again, not to say that non-teens don't do any of that, but out of ALL the targeted demographics that amusement parks draw, they make up the majority of all the activities and offenses I have just described. You know it too. How many families fit those descriptions when at amusement parks?

Oh... and I don't think that we "teenagers with season passes" cause problems.

Yes you are. Teens with a season pass use amusement parks as loitering zones. Bored with nothing to do after school? Go the park and loiter. Nothing to do on a Friday afternoon? Have mom drop me and some friends off to go run around and burn off the sugar. It's a babysitting service, simply put.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, I just hope people think about what it would be life if this was there home park. (Unless it already is!)

See, that's a bad way of looking at things. Saying those kinds of things in attempt to get people to sympathize with you...If Six Flags Over Texas were my home park, I really would not be saying the kinds of things you're saying. I'd be contempt with all the rides they've been getting SINCE Titan. Especially when you have parks like Six Flags America where NOTHING, not even a new flatride has been introduced since Batwing.

You know, having hobbies outside of amusement parks and roller coasters can help. When people get this distressed about lack of a new roller coaster at the local amusement park, it's a sure sign they need to have something more important in life to worry or complain about.

Wow I'd be totally pissed of either of the SF Texas parks were my home park.

Within the laste 10-15, years, SF has done poorley when it comes to building the right coasters for the right parks. None of the parks seem to get what the deserve. SFOT should have gotten a custom flying coaster, and SFMM should have gotten a family spinning coaster. SFOT seems to be one of the better parks in the chain, but it doesn't get treated that way. They seem to get every thing last, like a Superman or Batman ride.

SF is treating SFOT and SFFT like their the same park. They have way too much in common for parks ony a few hours away.

^^ I see all of your points... and I guess they are pretty accurate... but I'm not really trying to get people to "feel bad" for me, I'm just really saying how I feel.

-Andrew

**Edit- Oh... and, just to say, if this ride had a different theme, I probably would be cool with it!

I just hope people think about what it would be life if this was there home park.

-Andrew

My homepark is SF St. Louis. We went 7 years before we got a new coaster, and that coaster was... Tony Hawk's Big Spin. Plus, SFOT got a lot more flats in those in-between years than SFSTL got. We got Excaliber, S:TOP, and that's about it! We still don't have a hyper. Our Schwarzkopf was taken out years ago. So you guys don't have it *too* rough.

Anyway, even though it's not a huge thrill ride, THBS is a lot of fun. That can't be emphasized enough. I'm glad our park got it and hopefully you eventually will be glad your park got it, too. I understand where you're coming from, though. I hope SFSTL's new coaster is truly thrilling. Our coaster collection is lacking, we definitely deserve a big thrill ride this year.

I can't believe all the whining about a NEW COASTER.

The thing might not be a record breaker, but it is a fun little ride. I love these things, even if they do make me sick. It's a relatively inexpensive ride that the whole family can enjoy.

Makes sense from a buisness standpoint as far as I can see.

and did i mention it's a NEW COASTER?

The people who are opposed to it aren't saying it isn't good that a new ride is being built, we are saying it could have been something else. The reason Sf went into bankruptcy wasn't because of building big rides it was because of taking on too much responsibility from buying other parks. It is stupid to even think that someone is saying that build a coaster even though it isn't in the budget, we are just saying for the amt of money that was spent on this ride it could have been something different instead of a total clone. Now I know good and well my point does make some sense. I did say that in my initial first post about how dumb dumb dumb this decision is. This doesn't make any business or financial sense at all. The whole purpose of having parks close together is to give the residents that are close a reason to come there. People in Houston drive to both parks all the time even when we had one because ours was really weak, but we had a reason to travel to both parks for a little vacation. Now SFOT has other rides there that SFFT doesn't but we have all ridden them over and over and a new ride is supposed to respark interest. Now that wont happen if people have lost interest in SFOT (as I have) and they went to SFFT this past season and rode the TONY HAWK ride. It is nothing wrong with a smaller scaled ride but it needs to be different. I refuse to use the word family ride because no matter what SF does it still isnt gonna compete with what is going on in Florida. Again this is a dumb dumb dumb decision.

Okay. I see your point. But... ask yourself... is this what you wanted?

-Andrew

I would have liked a B&M, but thanks to morons they can't do that because they dug a 2 billion dollar hole.

A B&M that they can Fit in Wildcatters Tiny Space

I Wonder if this is going to affect the snow hill in Holiday at the Park?

I refuse to use the word family ride because no matter what SF does it still isnt gonna compete with what is going on in Florida.

So just because this isn't on par with Disney rides, a ride that the whole family can enjoy together is somehow not a family ride?

Would different theming be enough? How about a different name? Both of those things seem to make a ride different for most of the GP.

But the thing to think about, is that kids LOVE this ride. I have heard it again and again, with people at work, relatives, and overhearing people in the park. If they love it so much it just might make people more likely to go to another park that also has it.

Boardwalk bullet may seem like a great ride to us, but i doubt many entire families will ride it together, which is what i feel the SF management are trying to do with this ride.

I thoroghly enjoyed the Tony Hawk. The word family is thrown around a lot. It would have been better to make it like the one I think in New England called Pandemonion, now dont quote me on that. I havent read one post on here saying it shouldnt have been a smaller scaled coaster, but the beef is that it shouldnt have been a clone. Thats all.`I love Wild Mouse rides. My favorite ride at SFOT has always and will always be the Runaway mine train and my favorite ride at Magic Mountain is actually the goldrusher. So i am not an opponent to smaller scaled rides just stop the cloning. I have always made that clear throughout this post. One of the rides that is on the top of my to do list is the Expedition ride at DisneyWorld. Hell it is my number one after Voyage. What makes the quote unquote FAMILY PARKS attract more attention is theming. Kids are very visual and are drawn to loud colors and fantasy. So am I and Six Flags has never spent monies on this. That is my biggest problem with Cedar Point. So I am all for a new wild mouse just make it different with different elements. Heck they are even calling it the same thing. Again stupid decision.

What makes the quote unquote FAMILY PARKS attract more attention is theming. Kids are very visual and are drawn to loud colors and fantasy. So am I and Six Flags has never spent monies on this.

Kings Island has one of the best kiddie areas of any seasonal park. This plays a major role in the high attendance that Kings Island gets. They actually get more guests than Cedar Point does.

But I wouldn't call their kiddie area well themed. At least not compared to a Disney park or Legoland. But regional parks don't need that level of quality. They just need to have a lot of decent kiddie oriented attractions; "good enough" quality if you will. If Six Flags can get their kiddie areas to Kings Island level, they'll do exceptionally well.

I read this article this morning too.

I'll miss the Wildcatter. Of course, in my day, it was just called the "Free Fall".

We have plans for Fright Fest in a few weeks, I'm excited.

By the way, I've been going to SFOT my whole life and I've been to SFFT exactly once, so I don't know that they get a lot of crossover traffic.

I think this is great news, and having ridden the version at SFSTL, I know this will be a great addition to the park. The coaster is a lot of fun, and more parks in the chain should add a version. As for those complaining about another one five hours away, it will not matter as both parks have diffrent markets.

^ Wildcatter is very close to the USA section, the entrance is no more than 50 feet away from Aquaman. Therefore, it could be placed in USA's area, and it would somewhat fit.

Gosh, all this complaining, be glad on what you get. I still find Boot Scootin' from 06 VERY fun. Crazy Legs as well.

BUT, we could do without a clone. Let's review...

Shockwave - Custom

Titan - Similar

Runaway Mountain - Clone

Mine Train - Clone

Mini Mine - Similar

Freeze - Clone

Flashback - Clone

Judge Roy Scream - Custom

Vibora - Similar

Batman - Clone

Giant - Custom

Wile E. Coyete's Canyon Blaster - Clone

Now THBS - Clone

Need I say more?

I just hope people think about what it would be life if this was there home park.

-Andrew

My homepark is SF St. Louis. We went 7 years before we got a new coaster, and that coaster was... Tony Hawk's Big Spin. Plus, SFOT got a lot more flats in those in-between years than SFSTL got. We got Excaliber, S:TOP, and that's about it! We still don't have a hyper. Our Schwarzkopf was taken out years ago. So you guys don't have it *too* rough.

Y'all are about to get a new GCI (rumoured), so you and peeps in DFW are on the same page.

Shockwave - Custom

Titan - Similar

Runaway Mountain - Clone

Mine Train - Clone

Mini Mine - Similar

Freeze - Clone

Flashback - Clone

Judge Roy Scream - Custom

Vibora - Similar

Batman - Clone

Giant - Custom

Wile E. Coyete's Canyon Blaster - Clone

Now THBS - Clone

umm...Mine Train was the first of its kind...it cant be a clone, and whats Runaway Mountain a clone of?

I dont wanna step on anyones toes or shut peoples opinions down, but getting a new THBS is NOT a dumb decision. SFFT and SFoT are 5 HOURS away from each other. Thats a long time to travel! people in San Antonio/Austin are waay more likely to goto SFFT than people in the DFW area.

Right now SF has Texas totally covered for the most part; and even if there are clones 5 hours down the road from each other, you have to remember, the general public doesnt care! (for the most part...) They'll just be happy to take their family out to a park and enjoy themselves on the newest ride. And its not like spinners give the EXACT same ride EVERY time.

I think everyone just has to chill out, take an optimism pill, look at a couple kittens, and take a new approach on this. And if y'all still arent satisfied, hold out for 2011 when SFoT has its 50th...they HAVE to get something big then (rocket coaster over by Titan anyone?)