TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Well... and there it goes... any respect that I had left for the Six Flags Chain. I rode this ride at SFFT this summer and, well, I was NOT impressesd. The theme is unimaginative, the ride is not very fun, and probably the only cool part was that video camera filming your ride... well... at least until the crazy price to buy one comes along.

Pretty much, I feel so let down by SFOT right now. We just got 10 family rides... and have not had a decent a worthwhile addition since Titan in 2001. That will be 7 years.

Some people will say, "Dude Hooray... a NEW coaster! (OMG)." Well, for those people, consider this, will you ride it more than once? Will it draw you to the park? Probably not.

-Andrew

I live 5 hours away from Discovery Kingdom but I have never visited it once before -- and for good reason. It's out of the way.

Maybe you didn't have a park near you close down...when SFAW closed that left the people of Houston either to go to SFOT, SFFT, or not visit a park at all. I usually go to SFOT because of the larger variety of rides, but I have also been to SFFT and ridden THBS. This is a HORRIBLE decision and I would rather them not add the ride at all. The least that they could do is choose a different theme.

THIS SUCKS!

I wait seven years to get something I've already rode at another park!!! ALL WE HAVE IS CLONES! Besides Giant and shockwave, GEESE I wanted something unique, something like Tatsu, but, who gives a crap we're all hicks who don't know that the same 2 rollercoasters are five hours away!

At least we FINALLY get a new stadium. BTW, only a Dallasite will understand some of the stuff I typed, so don't ban me SoCals.

EDIT: It'll also take up space that we won't have to finally build a bigger coaster.

I await the day that SFMM builds one of these. Sooner or later, that park will add another coaster, and since it's apparently going in a "family" direction, something like this will likely fit the bill.

Not having ridden any version of it, I can't say it's a bad ride, but I've not exactly heard raves about it either.

Eric

There are so many things that SFOT could have gotten that would have been really beneficial. The park is missing so many "key" coaster types that other parks have. The main one is a proper multi looper. That could certainly fit in that 2 billion dollar hole!

-Andrew

Well... and there it goes... any respect that I had left for the Six Flags Chain. I rode this ride at SFFT this summer and, well, I was NOT impressesd. The theme is unimaginative, the ride is not very fun, and probably the only cool part was that video camera filming your ride... well... at least until the crazy price to buy one comes along.

Pretty much, I feel so let down by SFOT right now. We just got 10 family rides... and have not had a decent a worthwhile addition since Titan in 2001. That will be 7 years.

Some people will say, "Dude Hooray... a NEW coaster! (OMG)." Well, for those people, consider this, will you ride it more than once? Will it draw you to the park? Probably not.

-Andrew

I agree, but all that matters if we get all the illegals in Dallas to go because it's something NEW!!!! well it's not new, it's just new steel.

There are so many things that SFOT could have gotten that would have been really beneficial. The park is missing so many "key" coaster types that other parks have. The main one is a proper multi looper. That could certainly fit in that 2 billion dollar hole!

-Andrew

I meant they're 2 billion in debt.

-Andrew

Wasn't Magic Mountain's Scream! rumored to go to Six Flags Over Texas at one point? Though I think there is absolutely no validity in that rumor, I will still say that Scream! would have been a better fit at Over Texas than at Magic Mountain.

Not only the fact that Magic Mountain already had two gigantic 6+ loop roller coasters before Scream! came along, it's just that we honestly did not need that roller coaster -- especially right after X's inaugaral year.

Don't get me wrong, Scream! is a great ride, but I know what a poor business decision looks like and it looks like Scream! being built at Magic Mountain.

^ Honestly, I think SFMM got Scream! just to boost their coaster count. I, too, like it, but think about it---it's out of the way, has no real theme (but then much of SFMM doesn't anyway), and, with the exception of the rolling stock, is not unlike other multi-element coasters out there.

Eric

What did that suppose to mean am i really 44 and act my age? I act my age and I will say again that this is a dumb decision. I didnt insult anyone I made a statement about how dumb this was and that was totally uncalled for. It has been too long since SFOT has gotten a coaster. Hell they just added about 8 family rides 2 years ago. Again no one runs to a park like SFOT looking for kiddie rides. Six million dollars is too much for this carnival ride because that is what the wild mouse is.

Again no one runs to a park like SFOT looking for kiddie rides.

Families do, which is the exact market Six Flags is targeting now. It's obvious that Shapiro has shifted the emphasis to family attractions.

Sorry they aren't getting an XTREEEEEEEMEEEE coaster for you guys, but that's just how the company is being run right now. The Wiggles World at Great America was packed, it's obvious the shift is working for them right now.

You are entitled to your opinion, but please do it like an adult. If you think this is a bad move for the company, come up with a valid argument.

Personally, I think this is a great move. Wonderful for the families.

If they didn't have rides like this, there would be no park. The target audience is families. Families spend money. If the parks only went after the teens, we would make no money. Teens generally don't have the money to finance an entire theme park chain.

SFOT has a great collection of rides for teens and adults, but we are lacking in the family department and we have to have a little bit of everything. Shapiro understands that and we are slowly working our way back to it.

Just because a ride isn't tall, or fast, or isn't the scariest ride around doesn't mean it can't be fun. What happened to just having fun?

While this is a good thing for a park in need of a coaster, I think that it's way too similar to the ride a few hours away at SFFT. That's boomerangs, very similar spinning coasters, and identical B&M inverts. Why not something different?

I don't understand that logic.

5 hours is far enough to a point where these parks serve completely different markets.

I live 5 hours away from Discovery Kingdom but I have never visited it once before -- and for good reason. It's out of the way.

I'm sure those that live around Fiesta Texas are able to say the same about Over Texas -- and vice versa.

Ok, so they cater to different markets. But think of it like this. What if CF (hypothetically) decided to add a TTD clone to KI. What kind of a decision would that be? Both parks owned by the same company, adding the same ride in parks that can be reached in half a day. Talk about lack of creativity. Think of the people who live 2.5 hours away from both. Those people who go to SFFT maybe once a year to ride something different than at SFoT say an hour or less away.

I think that a coaster addition is great (don't get me wrong) because the park had not received one in a while, but can't they get something at least a little more unique?

I think everyone would agree that we cannot compare Tony Hawk's Big Spin to Top Thrill Dragster.

This is more like comparing Steel Venom and Wicked Twister (which, mind you, are 3.5 hours closer to each other). I'm sure people felt the same about those rides too. Did people come to Cedar Point to ride it? Sure. Did people think they were very much alike? Probably.

Do (did) people have fun on both? Yes.

...And before you do it...do NOT blame the closure of Geauga Lake on that ride. I'm sure someone will anyhow.

Again no one runs to a park like SFOT looking for kiddie rides.

Families do, which is the exact market Six Flags is targeting now. It's obvious that Shapiro has shifted the emphasis to family attractions.

Sorry they aren't getting an XTREEEEEEEMEEEE coaster for you guys, but that's just how the company is being run right now. The Wiggles World at Great America was packed, it's obvious the shift is working for them right now.

Yeah, it's not like the previous management team didn't give thrill seekers more than their fair share of love. And look at how that turned out. If anything Shapiro is giving the chain some much needed balance. Family attractions have the added bonus of not costing $20 million, which is good because Six Flags seriously can't afford too many high cost installations right now.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that families are going to pump more cash into your parks and cause less problems than teenagers with season passes.

Did people really think that the coaster wars were going to last forever? Wait a few years, and things will change. Six Flags will eventually start building monster coasters again.

If I remember correctly, the gigantic Superman Tower of Power was added in 2003 -- followed by the 10 (yeah, that's A LOT) family/"tweener" rides in 2006. That's plenty of new and you have to admit, fun attractions, even if they aren't roller coasters.

Six Flags Over Texas has been receiving a well-balanced capital plan -- thrill rides and family attractions alike are built. Unlike a certain park called Magic Mountain during the late-90's early 00's, which led to its near demise with the new management.

Parks that keep their attractions line-up well balanced usually do better with attendance than those that don't.

I mean come on, Great America hasn't introduced a roller coaster since 2004 and their last "big" roller coaster was Superman Ultimate Flight in 2003. Yet, it still manages to now surpass the roller coaster infested Magic Mountain in annual attendance figures.