TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Again, I'm not being negative about the "show", but you have to understand that it's not what everyone looks for when they go to a park.

--Robb

I hear you Robb and your right, some people just won't like it. OTOH I think alot of people will. I do think that SFOT is a good park to try this out. SFOT seems to have more consistent operations than SFMM so while this might be a disaster for a park like SFMM, it might do quite well at SFOT.

I think part of the reason Blue Man Group is going over so well with Universal is because you don't need to buy a park admission just to see it, as it will also be accessible from outside in Citywalk.

My whole problem with the show is pretty much the same as every other show at a Six Flags, it lasts for about 2 seasons and then thats it, the show leaves and all that remains is an empty building. No memory remains of what used to be there (which IMO means it was a waste of money).

While this may be a good way to end the days experience at the park, I don't think its going to force people to stick around. No one is going to fight long lines, rude/lazy operators, mediocre food, smoking people, and the heat at a Six Flags park for more time than usual just because "it'll look pretty tonight". If all the other problems were also addressed (much like they were supposed to last year) then I could see this benefitting the chain. But no family is going to say at 6pm "we're tired, rode 5 rides total, spent $90 on food, and are pretty fed up with this place. Ooooh, but in 3 hours there'll be jugglers and cool lighting. Lets stick around!"

One of the reasons why BMG will work is because Universal IS a resort. Six Flags is a local park that you go to for a day trip, and even the GP knows Six Flags as the place with all the thrills, especially in Texas where they had the first thrill rides like the runaway train and log flume. No child is going to remember the Six Flags show they saw with mommy and daddy 20 years from now, they'll remember their first roller coaster. When it comes to remembering the shows and parades, that's Disney's job.

^ I agree with most of whay you said about the people not remembering the "show" they saw... but the rides they rode. Also... I too think it is ironic how they want families to stay... but they do the show at LATE hours of the night.

However, I would like to point out that this show will be taking place on a stace in a large ampitheater... that was designed to host concerts. Unless the stage will be majorly modified... the show could lack in many ways.

On another note... I believe that the reason some people, including myself, are a bit annoyed is because SFOT already has plenty of shows that run during the main season. Adding this show, really doesn't add all that much. But the park at night will be pretty cool to look at... if it isnt some half worked job!

I think though that while most people say that they only think of rides when it comes to Six Flags, This could be a big step to changing the outlook. Plus the way you look at a park depends on what you do there. When we went to Disneyland when I was 9, I only remeber rides, because we didn't see any shows there. But we also went to Knott's for a day, and I remember the rides (especially our 4 strait rides on Bigfoot Rapids at the end of the night), and one of the most lasting images in my head from the day at Knott's is the mystery lodge. I thought it was one of the neatest things I had seen to that point. While I agree that this show may not necessarily fit the Six Flags we know and......kind of like or kind of don't, but it can be a great ending for those who are tired from riding all day, and the parents who don't ride and their kids can enjoy this together. That and those of us who would rather do rides can taken advantage of smaller lines!

I think part of the reason Blue Man Group is going over so well with Universal is because you don't need to buy a park admission just to see it, as it will also be accessible from outside in Citywalk.

Apples to oranges, IMO. Think of how many more people (both enthusiasts and non enthusiasts alike) hold Six Flags season passes versus Universal Orlando APs. Heck, I bought my '07 SF pass at SFoT in October for about the price of a one day Universal Studios ticket!

My whole problem with the show is pretty much the same as every other show at a Six Flags, it lasts for about 2 seasons and then thats it, the show leaves and all that remains is an empty building. No memory remains of what used to be there (which IMO means it was a waste of money).

Totally agree in the case of places like SFGAd where their Batman theatre has sat dormant for many of the past few years. But in the case of SFoT, they're using their amphitheatre. It's already there, and is also used for concerts (and will continue to do so).

While this may be a good way to end the days experience at the park, I don't think its going to force people to stick around. No one is going to fight long lines, rude/lazy operators, mediocre food, smoking people, and the heat at a Six Flags park for more time than usual just because "it'll look pretty tonight".

Tough call there. As some have said in this thread, SFoT draws far more of a "family" crowd than your average Six Flags park. I personally think this type of show is brilliant from an "out of the box" thinking standpoint. I also think that it was probably strategically chosen to run at SFoT (speculation). As Robb mentioned, SFStl is losing their Sherwood Theatre in favor of a coaster. The Sherwood Theatre is a 500 seat theatre that has been used sparingly at best over the past few years- nothing like the 10,000 seat Music Mills at SFoT. If this concept proves to work at SFoT, SFStl could put on their own version of this Cirque show at the Old Glory Amphitheatre back by the Screamin' Eagle.

Now, although this SFoT show will only run for about 2 months (mid June to mid August unless I'm missing something), I think besides keeping day guests in the park longer (along with offering an extra hour of park ops as apposed to all the SF parks that *lost* an hour of park ops late in the summer this year), this may also be just the thing to turn season pass holders from loitering and not spending to "gee, let's go to the park tonight to see the show and have dinner."

Again, just speculation and something to thiink about.

-Mark

all of you are saying that a show could be a good new addition to SFOT. I agree that Cirque will be good but I think they should have chosen another location because:

A. No offense, but D/FW isn't the most cultured area.

B. We already have the Chinese acrobats, Irish Riverdancers, and Puppet Lady.

C. Same as before; the people that do take a break from coasters to see a show usually don't stay around late enough.

I think we'll all just have to see how it works out(I'm just glad we're getting something new)

While this may be a good way to end the days experience at the park, I don't think its going to force people to stick around. No one is going to fight long lines, rude/lazy operators, mediocre food, smoking people, and the heat at a Six Flags park for more time than usual just because "it'll look pretty tonight". If all the other problems were also addressed (much like they were supposed to last year) then I could see this benefitting the chain. But no family is going to say at 6pm "we're tired, rode 5 rides total, spent $90 on food, and are pretty fed up with this place. Ooooh, but in 3 hours there'll be jugglers and cool lighting. Lets stick around!"

One of the reasons why BMG will work is because Universal IS a resort. Six Flags is a local park that you go to for a day trip, and even the GP knows Six Flags as the place with all the thrills, especially in Texas where they had the first thrill rides like the runaway train and log flume. No child is going to remember the Six Flags show they saw with mommy and daddy 20 years from now, they'll remember their first roller coaster. When it comes to remembering the shows and parades, that's Disney's job.

And the Choir said, Amen.

Six Flags just isnt a place for grand spectacular night shows, because like you said, people are tired from walking around all day. I know if it was me and my family I would just get a few night rides in and go home if the park had extra hours, probably under the idea that people would be at the show and not in line.

But maybe thats what Six Flags is trying to do, maybe they're going from day park to resort destination. Isnt SFGAdv getting a hotel anyhow? I think that eventually, in the eies of Shapiro Six Flags could be like a new age resort chain that has parks all over the US with everything people would want.

However, if that is his dream, he's starting at the wrong end of the chain. Though I would be even less happy if SFoT was just getting a hotel!

A cirque knock-off... Sigh. I *seriously* wish that things would stop being "Cirque-Like". I love Cirque but knock-offs end up being very cheesy and circus like...not innovative and beautiful with great music like Cirque.

Anyways - don't really think this is a great mix for Six Flags... If they had made great strides in trying to change their demographic over the last season and this was catering to that then great.. but unfortunately nothing much changed last season so I don't have a feeling the thrill-riding gangstas will be breaking down the doors to get seats instead of riding Titan...but I could be wrong!

My $.02...

IF SFOT is able to pull this off "as described," then I'd love to see SFNE get something similar in the future. Sure, I'm as much a coaster nut as anyone else here, and I can certainly understand both sides of this debate, but for me, personally, this sounds pretty spectacular.

Obviously we've all had experience with SF in general not following through, or letting us down, or disappointing us in one way or another, but with this, they ARE actually making good on their promise to bring more family-friendly attractions in...maybe it's not what WE as enthusiasts want, but it's a small step toward actually fulfilling more promises. Give them a chance to f*ck this one up (or...here's a shocker...maybe they WON'T f*ck it up) before we trash them for it.

Sure, I'm just as skeptical as anyone else here. I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" school of thought. But I'm certainly willing to give SF a chance to try this before I totally slag them for the effort, and like I said...if it works, send one to SFNE, because it does sound pretty damn cool, at least as the press release describes it.

If building lots of coasters hasn't significantly boosted attendance and increased profits then the other option is to keep those who do come there for longer and increase the secondary spend. If people are staying in the park for longer then they will buy more food and drinks. If a park offers a show that is like a night out then people watching the show might buy bags of popcorn and cotton candy etc. Why do you think Disney have evening shows.

OK it's not likely to be a big crowd puller BUT SFOT already has good attendance so I can't see it dropping significantly and if those who do go spend more money then it's a winner. If the park is seen to be even more profitable then it'll get a new ride we all want as a reward.

Who knows people might find the idea of going to the park after dark attractive, I love the different experience of riding coasters after dark. Perhaps parents will finish work and say to the kids lets go to SFOT for the evening, take in a few rides and see a great show. So an amusment park isn't just about a day out, it's a family night out.

As i was reading the article, i kept thinking how slick they were. They kept saying Cirque but not saying Cirque du Soleil. Of course most naturaly hear cirque and automatically, cirque du soleil comes to mind.

Guess i need to go back and re read the article cause it may not be a true cirque du soleil show but a knockoff.

Also seems many are zero ing in on the show itself. There is the other part of the "tranformed park after dark" I am very interested in that part if it is done right. Hell, i would go just for an awesome transormed after dark and skip the show.

Not somethimng that would make me want to go to the park in the slightest.

Assuming that the show that bears at least some semblance to Cirque de Solleil - based on the popularity of those shows that should result in an increase in attendance at the park and attract maybe more people of the sophisticated yuppie demographic with high levels of disposable income.

Let's not forget the travesty that was "Circo Magnifico" at SFMM! Also billed as a Cirque-esque show...Yikes.

I agree that the other nighttime stuff sounds cool, and again, if any Six Flags park can pull it off SFoT would be one of them, but I hope they don't cannibalize resources and staffing to put on this entertainment and pull off trains at 6pm!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

About time SFoT got a new coaster. I've heard rumors over on Screamscape that this one might be a new layout for a spinner, different from the ones @ SFSL and SFFT. Supposedly it might be smaller, but anything unique is still good...

Now if they would hack away that demon of a boomerang we'd be in business...

^ Don't think it'll be smaller.

According to the article:

Parker said the Arlington park’s ride, made by coaster manufacturer Gerstlauer of Germany, will be similar to the one at Fiesta Texas, with an elevation of 52.5 feet and a track length of 1,351 feet.

Looks to be a clone of the Fiesta Texas one.

this is the most stupid idea i have ever seen. why would u put the same coaster 2 hrs away from another park. i live near both parks and i go to both and i would have no need to if they have the same thing. i would go to both parks times a yr and i spend money in both. i cant believe this little baby coaster costs 6 million dollars. hell they could have had a woodie like boardwalk bullet for that price.

what a waste

this coaster isnt gonna make any more people run to the park that wouldnt have in the first place. No one ran to SFFT because of tony hawk this year.

While this is a good thing for a park in need of a coaster, I think that it's way too similar to the ride a few hours away at SFFT. That's boomerangs, very similar spinning coasters, and identical B&M inverts. Why not something different?

I don't understand that logic.

5 hours is far enough to a point where these parks serve completely different markets.

I live 5 hours away from Discovery Kingdom but I have never visited it once before -- and for good reason. It's out of the way.

I'm sure those that live around Fiesta Texas are able to say the same about Over Texas -- and vice versa.