TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...

If a full-size Aldi can be built in a week down the road from me, I don't understand how this ride is taking literal years to be built.

I'm not kidding about the Aldi, either.  It was a dirt pit for a while, then the construction equipment showed up in early January.  It opened ten days ago.

1 hour ago, KBrylczyk said:

If a full-size Aldi can be built in a week down the road from me, I don't understand how this ride is taking literal years to be built.

I'm not kidding about the Aldi, either.  It was a dirt pit for a while, then the construction equipment showed up in early January.  It opened ten days ago.

Zadra was built in 9 months and half of the ride fell over halfway thru.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedarFlags said:

Zadra was built in 9 months and half of the ride fell over halfway thru.

While it was being built, thus not fully structurally sound, and as the result of a pretty serious storm, so yeah not the same.

Aquaman is taking forever because SF gives zero shits about opening rides with any sort of promptness.

2 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

While it was being built, thus not fully structurally sound, and as the result of a pretty serious storm, so yeah not the same.

Aquaman is taking forever because SF gives zero shits about opening rides with any sort of promptness.

Was no shade on Zadra at all.  My point was: a MUCH larger scale project was completed, even with a major set back, in less than half the time that this glorified shoot-the-chutes ride has taken.

12 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

glorified shoot-the-chutes ride

Hey now, I've been on Pulsar at Walibi Wavre.  These things are WAY better than any Shoot The Chutes ride I've been on.  I would happily marathon a Powersplash any day while I would happily walk right by a Shoot The Chutes.

I say this after I almost didn't ride Pulsar because I was being a pansy about getting wet.  I was essentially shamed into going on the ride because I was afraid my socks and underwear would get squishy.  Pulsar ended up being one of the highlights of that entire Europe trip and it has a refreshing splash rather than a "soak you to the bone" splash.   If you want to get drenched you go stand next to the splashdown pool, but if you're in the boat you get a very fun thrill, a surprising amount of airtime, and a nice splish of water to cool you down.

SFOT still sucks, though.

• Like 1

I think the biggest reason for the delay was originally they weren't going to include the turntable (which would be horrendous dispatch times) and after they got to building it Six Flags was like yeah go ahead and give us the turntable after all so then they had to wait on the turntable from the manufacturer, good idea to include it but stupid to decide not to include it from the get go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeykaise said:

I think the biggest reason for the delay was originally they weren't going to include the turntable (which would be horrendous dispatch times) and after they got to building it Six Flags was like yeah go ahead and give us the turntable after all so then they had to wait on the turntable from the manufacturer, good idea to include it but stupid to decide not to include it from the get go.

That makes A LOT of sense now.

5 hours ago, mikeykaise said:

You know as well as I do (and the rest of the y'all wackadoos here) that the turntable will be used for the first year until they take one boat into permanent "maintenance" (read - parts bitch) and they're stuck with one boat that still needs to be spun around every single cycle, resulting in even longer cycle times and lower capacity.  It's the Six Flags Way*.  That being said, we also all know that when your ride is complete you're still going to be sitting in the boat for five minutes until they finally check and clear the second boat to rotate you back into the station.  It's the Six Flags Way*.

* - Does not apply to SFFT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, KBrylczyk said:

You know as well as I do (and the rest of the y'all wackadoos here) that the turntable will be used for the first year until they take one boat into permanent "maintenance" (read - parts bitch) and they're stuck with one boat that still needs to be spun around every single cycle, resulting in even longer cycle times and lower capacity.  It's the Six Flags Way*.  That being said, we also all know that when your ride is complete you're still going to be sitting in the boat for five minutes until they finally check and clear the second boat to rotate you back into the station.  It's the Six Flags Way*.

* - Does not apply to SFFT.

And the both boats will have plenty of open seats since there's no grouper and the ROs are only allowed to open the gates for 3 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

Hey now, I've been on Pulsar at Walibi Wavre.  These things are WAY better than any Shoot The Chutes ride I've been on.  I would happily marathon a Powersplash any day while I would happily walk right by a Shoot The Chutes.

I say this after I almost didn't ride Pulsar because I was being a pansy about getting wet.  I was essentially shamed into going on the ride because I was afraid my socks and underwear would get squishy.  Pulsar ended up being one of the highlights of that entire Europe trip and it has a refreshing splash rather than a "soak you to the bone" splash.   If you want to get drenched you go stand next to the splashdown pool, but if you're in the boat you get a very fun thrill, a surprising amount of airtime, and a nice splish of water to cool you down.

SFOT still sucks, though.

From what I have heard, the powersplash model ride can also operate year-round as a dry ride by simply emptying the splash pool.  It is basically a roller coaster with a splashdown option.  But as far as water rides go, I like the idea of not being completely drenched (unless I want to stand by the splash pool area).  At any rate, I look forward to riding this in the next year or two.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lotologist492 said:

From what I have heard, the powersplash model ride can also operate year-round as a dry ride by simply emptying the splash pool.  It is basically a roller coaster with a splashdown option.  But as far as water rides go, I like the idea of not being completely drenched (unless I want to stand by the splash pool area).  At any rate, I look forward to riding this in the next year or two.

I asked about this at Winterfest. . and the park rep I was speaking to did not know if SF had a version that could operate year round (when I told him that Pulsar can operate without the splash to keep it going year round).

he agreed that it would be great to have it running year round and said he'd ask that question when he got back to Dallas.

not sure what the end answer was tho.

and yes, Pulsar barely got the riders wet. . it just misted us every time I rode.

IMG_1782.JPG

• Like 1

^ Lotte World Busan is a year round park, temperatures have been pretty low and as far as I'm aware, as well as looking at the schedule on their site, their Giant Splash is open for the winter season. Looking at it on YouTube, they're running it with the splash though even in Winter.

• 3 weeks later...