TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

They're doing it because the chain as-a-whole is having a horrendous year. It's possible that Fiesta is one of the rare exceptions, it's also possible that they're hoping for crowds when the new coaster opens and it's also possible that Fiesta's "quality bubble" is just holding strong.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CoasterAuditor said:

I don't really know quite how "reducing attendance" is beneficial to a theme park chain.

Reducing attendance results in lower crowds, resulting in a better guest experience, possibly resulting in more return-visitors and in-park spending.

• Like 4

I can't help but think that the weather is a part of this decision.  It has been abnormally hot in Dallas since Memorial Day weekend and there is no end in sight.  All but 4 days in July have been above 100 and 7 days have been above 105.  Outdoor activities are dying right now, even water parks.

11 minutes ago, bigboy said:

I can't help but think that the weather is a part of this decision.  It has been abnormally hot in Dallas since Memorial Day weekend and there is no end in sight.  All but 4 days in July have been above 100 and 7 days have been above 105.  Outdoor activities are dying right now, even water parks.

By that logic, shouldn't they shift the hours later so they're open longer once the sun is down?  7PM is right when it starts to cool down.

3 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

By that logic, shouldn't they shift the hours later so they're open longer once the sun is down?  7PM is right when it starts to cool down.

It was 103 yesterday at my house at 9 pm

so.  Yeah, you would think.  But “cool down” is relative in Texas heat

Today was the emptiest I've ever seen the park. It was kind of amazing. I didn't know they were explicitly approving re-rides on Titan now. 

I didn't realize Harley Quinn had a history of op failures. It was a walk-on today and it's truly bizarre.

I was there just a few days ago, and it was pretty dead as well. We had four FOL pass3s from an old membership, and we didn’t even need to use any of them. It was still super hot, and one ride op said most kids have gone back to school already. I’m not a local; is that true?

8 hours ago, ryder said:

I was there just a few days ago, and it was pretty dead as well. We had four FOL pass3s from an old membership, and we didn’t even need to use any of them. It was still super hot, and one ride op said most kids have gone back to school already. I’m not a local; is that true?

Definitely not. School starts in the 2nd week of August, around the 10th.

No doubt.  And I've lived in Texas for 46 years.  This year is unusual.  In Dallas, we're at 34 days above 100 when we had only 2 at this same point last year.  And we're just now getting to August.  It's pacing right up there with the 2 hottest summers ever (1980 and 2011).

Even Riddler was a re-ride today. I've never seen the park like this. If it wasn't for Freeze running one train the whole year(?), it would be 100% perfect. I'd hate to be looking at the bottom line, though.

Too bad this is the last week of daily ops. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These photos were taken at Lone Star Coasterthon. No further information was released to the public. The current speculation is that Freeze may be on its way out. The ride uses the older Lim technology and is expensive to operate and maintain. CREDIT: Lisa Marie and DFW Thrillseekers for the top photo and Coaster Nation for the bottom one.

FB_IMG_1661728101649.jpg

FB_IMG_1661728763896.jpg

49 minutes ago, southpuddle said:

Didn’t they literally just repaint it over the off-season? Logic would say it’s not going anywhere, but this is Six Flags, so.

The fact that there has been no further information made available is what's fueling the speculation. Seasonal maintenance would have been announced.  Also, Crazy Legs was repainted and re-themed to Harley Quinn and then removed.

My guess is a full re-theming and rehab.  There are many other Intamin launching coasters, including another Mr. Freeze at SFStl, Poltergeist and Joker's Jynx, and Flight of Fear at two Cedar Fair parks.  One would think parts availability is not an issue.  And since the chain has been refurbing and re-theming coasters (including the aforementioned Poltergeist at SFFT) in lieu of adding new attractions, this would certainly fit.  This ride is simply too popular to just remove it.

Of course I have a Texas trip slated for next spring and this thing was one of the coasters I was looking forward to most, especially since I never got the chance to ride the Batman side of Chiller. I would hope it's just a refurb considering the park has not officially announced that it's closing. If it were permanent I feel like they'd give everyone more time to go ride it one more time. But, who really knows with this company.

Maybe I'll just have to stop in St. Louis.

I'm torn between being upset about this because it's the best ride in the park but also not caring because it's odds of operating when I showed up were already a solid 0%.

Hopefully they're just turning the train around so that next time we go we can still not ride it, but stand out front for awhile with the false hope that it might open later that day.