TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Judge Roy Scream is finally back up and running. Pirates of Speelunker's Cave is really coming along. They look done with the queue line and the station looks great. That ride is nearing its opening date rapidly. They put a lot of concrete down at Aquaman. Turntable apparatus looks good too. Still no work on station yet. They have what looks like an entrance/exit path going underneath the hump in the middle of the ride. 

If I've learned anything about rollercoaster construction, and I haven't, I'd take a guess-timation that July 4th weekend sounds like a good opening day for that ride. They still have at least a month of work ahead on it. The splash trough looks good too. It's not close but it's a lot better than 4 months ago.

Mr. Freeze and Titan still down. 

IMG-7721.jpg

REJOICE! REJOICE! REJOICE! SINGLE RIDER LINES ARE BACK! New Texas Giant, Pandemonium, Superman: Tower of Power, and Runaway Mountain all have them again. I didn't check the others. 

IMG-7746.jpg

Edited by TallShortstop
Ride Name
  • Like 2

I'm just fine being proven wrong, but I bet some people are going to be pretty disappointed if the theme is way more pirate than speelunker.  That said, it looks incredible either way given the teases we've seen.

1 hour ago, bigboy said:

I'm just fine being proven wrong, but I bet some people are going to be pretty disappointed if the theme is way more pirate than speelunker.  That said, it looks incredible either way given the teases we've seen.

pretty much every bit of "Pirates" theming I've seen has come from the work done for SFFT's Pirates of Deep Sea ride. . just reusing signage, and design elements. . . so likely some of the sets inside are the same too.

but eager to find out, and hope it's great.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:26 PM, TallShortstop said:

Judge Roy Scream is finally back up and running. Pirates of Speelunker's Cave is really coming along. They look done with the queue line and the station looks great. That ride is nearing its opening date rapidly. They put a lot of concrete down at Aquaman. Turntable apparatus looks good too. Still no work on station yet. They have what looks like an entrance/exit path going underneath the hump in the middle of the ride. 

If I've learned anything about rollercoaster construction, and I haven't, I'd take a guess-timation that July 4th weekend sounds like a good opening day for that ride. They still have at least a month of work ahead on it. The splash trough looks good too. It's not close but it's a lot better than 4 months ago.

Mr. Freeze and Titan still down. 

IMG-7721.jpg

Is Joker still down as well?

49 minutes ago, skyrocket010 said:

Is Joker still down as well?

Joker runs occasionally. It ran this weekend but the threshold for operating in winds is low. The wind doesn't need to blow hard at all for it to go down. Even Texas Skyscreamer and Superman: Tower of Power operate in higher winds than the Joker. It does have a lot of technical difficulties too. It's a operations problem of a ride.

It's closed more than it is open and it barely makes it 2 hours without technical difficulties. I've seen it go down for technical difficulties 3 times in 45 minutes. The maintenance crew didn't even walk past Catwoman's Whip from the last time before it went down again.

9 hours ago, TallShortstop said:

It's closed more than it is open and it barely makes it 2 hours without technical difficulties. I've seen it go down for technical difficulties 3 times in 45 minutes. The maintenance crew didn't even walk past Catwoman's Whip from the last time before it went down again.

Wow that’s interesting. I don’t recall the other Six Flags parks having a lot of issues with their Freespins. It seems like this park has been plagued with downtime. I moved here in November and have been trying to hold off on visiting the park in an attempt to wait for Titan & Freeze to re-open. Sigh 😔

4 hours ago, skyrocket010 said:

Wow that’s interesting. I don’t recall the other Six Flags parks having a lot of issues with their Freespins. It seems like this park has been plagued with downtime. I moved here in November and have been trying to hold off on visiting the park in an attempt to wait for Titan & Freeze to re-open. Sigh 😔

It depends on the day. Some rides can go down 10 times one day and be fine the next. It depends on the ride too. 

The last time I saw the Mine Train go down for more than 30 minutes was a decade ago. You can drop a Nokia on it and it breaks the Nokia. Shockwave hardly ever goes down. Texas Giant goes down a lot. 

If I had to rank the top 5 rides with non-weather/non-refurbishment downtime I'd rank them in no order as:

El Diablo

Mr. Freeze

The Joker

Riddler Revenge

Texas Giant

I'd put Harley Quinn Spinsanity on this list but that ride is gone long-term or permanent.

It all depends on the day.

I was looking at the app today for SFOT (as I'm planning a trip out there later this summer), and it claimed Mr. Freeze was open with a hour wait.  Can anyone at the park actually confirm if it reopened?  I feel like if had reopened, someone would've already posted about it here.

17 hours ago, ryder said:

I was looking at the app today for SFOT (as I'm planning a trip out there later this summer), and it claimed Mr. Freeze was open with a hour wait.  Can anyone at the park actually confirm if it reopened?  I feel like if had reopened, someone would've already posted about it here.

I finally made it there yesterday. I can confirm it is indeed reopen. It was running very well.

• Like 3

So Aquaman, you know, that ride that was announced in 2019? Is it actually going to open this summer? I know it’s not a carousel that takes the minimum required 3 years to overhaul, so this seems excessive. 

• Haha 1

I mean..it's the 1st of it's kind in the USA, they added a turn table (which caused some redesign work), and there was this Pandemic Thing that closed many parks for quite a while and impacted revenue flow to parks.

just enjoy it when it's open. .and it will open when it's open.   

Otherwise, I just don't get the bitching.

• Like 1

These photos are from last year. They were in the parking lot and it looks like the old track designed for single car ops? January-March of this year I saw them installing a metric butt-load of wiring for the electronics of the ride. You can see the crew working on the ride when the park is open on weekdays. April-May of this year they have gotten LOTS done. But are they close? No they are not, are they closer than January? Eons. The main progress I've seen is the concrete. It will get there.

This project has gone through a global pandemic not to mention 3 company CEOs and 3 Park Presidents when SFOT appoints a new one. 

IMG-6828.jpg

IMG-6829.jpg

IMG-6830.jpg

From reading reports everything is back open other then Titan? If the chain comes before memorial weekend and they install the new chain how long would it take them to get Titan back open in operation  after testing or how many cycles does it take? What would chances of Titan being open after memorial weekend I’m leaving on Monday be at Over Texas on Tuesday? 

10 hours ago, TallShortstop said:

This project has gone through a global pandemic not to mention 3 company CEOs and 3 Park Presidents when SFOT appoints a new one

Sharon Parker was announced as the new GM/park president about a month ago.  She's done marketing and PR for the park for several years.  I've heard there was someone else in the GM role between her and Ron McKenzie that was also an internal promotion, but that didn't last longer than a few weeks for one reason or another.

I mostly was commenting on Aquaman in jest. I think we all know there was a  pandemic that threw a monkey wrench into the construction timeline.

Although I do think it’s funny that they decided after construction had already begun to add the turntable. It’s the most Six Flags thing ever to make that kind of decision. But at the same time the most un-Six Flags thing ever to make that decision in the name of capacity 🙃

Also rest assured: It’s surely opening before SFSL’s carousel 🤪

• Like 2

Friendly reminder that Pirates of Speelunker Cave opens to the public in 24 hours and 13 minutes! Single Rider Lines are back. Mr. Freeze is open. Busy weekend ahead with the Boston Red Sox in town. Saturday's game is a 6:05pm start with Six Flags closing at 9 for the TRAFFIC JAM FROM HELL! LEAVE THE SIX FLAGS PARKING LOT TO GO TO 6 MORE PARKING LOTS! Want to go half a mile in 30 minutes? WELL WE GOT THE ROUTE FOR YOU!

IMG-7581.jpg

Pirates Media Day is today. . . have several friends riding and posting info about it.

Happy to hear tho it does have a lot of Pirates in it (and some of the theming inside looks a bit , um,  wooden). . there are lots and lots of Spelunkers in there too!

so yay!