TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Glad you finally got to go to Texas! It's a great park, despite the idiotic membership/season pass stuff. I believe I posted on here a while back about SFStL denying us benefits of a Gold membership when we had a Gold season pass, even though they had signs that said both were good for it. Six Flags still has yet to figure out the membership model. Overall I like it, but they just have to get it together chainwide.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 10:45 PM, clippers6 said:

Tried to start with Runaway Mountain, but it went down just as I got there.

Went back to check on Runaway Mountain and it was still down.

Finally got on Runaway Mountain next. Waited 35 minutes; the longest I waited all day. Enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. I didn’t realize there was a disco yeti on it!

Glad you stuck it out and got to ride Runaway Mountain! It's legitimately my favorite coaster in the park. I admittedly have an affinity for coasters-in-a-box, but in my opinion, this is the best one.

Glad you finally got to go to Texas! It's a great park, despite the idiotic membership/season pass stuff. I believe I posted on here a while back about SFStL denying us benefits of a Gold membership when we had a Gold season pass, even though they had signs that said both were good for it. Six Flags still has yet to figure out the membership model. Overall I like it, but they just have to get it together chainwide.

I think that's one of the reasons this year they are going with a season pass "with parking benefits", instead of GOLD season pass, because people assumed gold season pass was the same as Gold (+plus) membership, when they are very different things.
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, DBru said:

Glad you stuck it out and got to ride Runaway Mountain! It's legitimately my favorite coaster in the park. I admittedly have an affinity for coasters-in-a-box, but in my opinion, this is the best one.

It was a surprise highlight for sure. Disappointed that they cut Fridays for most of April since  the next time I will be in the Dallas area will be on a Friday. Flying to Houston Saturday morning. Boardwalk Bullet will be my consolation. 

Woohoo! Looks like they’re opening in the evening Fridays in April. Can’t make a reservation yet though and customer service just told me that it is sold out, but I’m pretty sure they just haven’t updated the reservation system since not a single day has sold out all spring.

• 1 month later...

Pretty stoked as I'm going to SFOT tonight for the first time since the TPR trip in 2009.

It will be nice to pay my respects and experience the OG RMC!

And then get fat on Whataburger (which I missed in 2009).

• Like 1

Please have a great time- watch out for the rain- due around 4:00. I am a Whataburger fan as well, enjoy! Welcome to Texas! Don't miss Casa Magnetica- it's a limited time offering.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SFDallas said:

Please have a great time- watch out for the rain- due around 4:00. I am a Whataburger fan as well, enjoy! Welcome to Texas! Don't miss Casa Magnetica- it's a limited time offering.

they're not keeping it open?

thought I saw the new park manager (who came over from SFFT) was indicating it was a permanent refurb, but had reopened specifically due to the Anniversary (same with Flume 1, that just reopened after being closed for a decade plus)

My flight arrives at 6pm local and I'm hoping to get to the park at around 7. So I'll probably just be doing Joker and NTAG (new credits to me). 

Tomorrow I begin a death drive to Magic Springs and then Oklahoma City for Frontier City on Sunday (both new parks to me).

I'll be back at SFOT on Monday from open until about 3pm. Might get a flash pass. 

Thought about going  south for Wonder Woman, Iron Rattler, and Texas Stingray but kind of wanted to knock Magic Springs and Frontier City off my list of parks never visited.

• Like 1

I've always considered In-N-Out as more of a west coast thing, but Whataburger is great.  Usually it's the first meal I have after landing in Texas.  

1 hour ago, redfoot12 said:

Thought about going  south for Wonder Woman, Iron Rattler, and Texas Stingray but kind of wanted to knock Magic Springs and Frontier City off my list of parks never visited.

I can't speak to Magic Springs but I did get to Frontier City recently and it was pretty solid.  Not the deepest coaster lineup by any means but Diamond Back is a rare one with surprising airtime in the back row and Silver Bullet is as fun as any classic Schwarzkopf.  Great theming compared to other Six Flags parks.  If you're a member, they also recently opened a new Member Lounge where you can chill out, refill beverages, and it even has outlets for charging should you need it. 

• Like 1

^ Agreed on Frontier City. All your points are spot on.

Magic Springs on the other hand is a really nice waterpark attached to a really crappy amusement park. If you're not there for the slides, I wouldn't even bother. X Coaster is kind of neat, but the rest of the coaster collection is painful. There are a couple of cool flats left, but every year it seems they ditch a cool flat, leaving less incentive to go.

8 hours ago, redfoot12 said:

My flight arrives at 6pm local and I'm hoping to get to the park at around 7. So I'll probably just be doing Joker and NTAG (new credits to me). 

Sounds like you might be there now. My husband and I are going next Friday (all day) and Saturday (morning), let us know how the crowds are! This is a holiday weekend so maybe next weekend will be not as bad?? Maybe??

On 5/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, bert425 said:

^ if freeze is running, grab a ride on that.

Same with Texas Skyscreamer.

both are so temperamental

On 5/28/2021 at 7:33 PM, CP_RULES said:

Sounds like you might be there now. My husband and I are going next Friday (all day) and Saturday (morning), let us know how the crowds are! This is a holiday weekend so maybe next weekend will be not as bad?? Maybe??

Crowds were pretty steady Friday night. They were running 2 trains on most of the popular coasters. I rode Titan, Shockwave, Mr Freeze, Batman, and Judge Roy Scream. Tried to ride NTAG but got denied. Got green on the test seat but the ride ops couldn't get the restraint down. Bummer.

It was raining today but that didn't stop the crowds.

As far as NTAG, I had changed my wardrobe to something less constraining-- gym shorts and flip flops and still got denied on NTAG. 

I'm going to have to a skinny revenge tour of SFOT, SDC (Outlaw Run), and SFSTL (Batman) next year! That said...

This afternoon I went to a great brisket place in downtown Dallas-- Terry Black's BBQ. Highly recommended.

Magic Springs did kind of suck, btw. I went there on Saturday and they weren't running Arkansas Twister and X-Coaster. Gauntlet may have shot to the top for my least favorite SLC. Have a nice bruise. Ops kind of sucked as well. Only one train and they weren't trying very hard to send full trains out.

Frontier City was better. Nice little park with some fun rides. Really enjoyed Wildcat, Diamondback, and Silver Bullet.

Despite some setbacks and disappointments, overall, I had a fun trip.

Edit to add:

Also rode Joker Friday night. Only 9 new credits on this trip but my goal of hitting 400 this year is within reach. Currently at 372.

I'm going to try to hit a few more of these less popular parks this summer but also return to a couple I haven't been to since the late 2000s like Carowinds and Six Flags Over Georgia. 

• Like 2

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but reservations are no longer required at either Six Flags park in Texas... might be chainwide, but I only know about Texas.

^Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about your experience with NTG! We will have to consider Terry Black's, we were looking for places to visit while in town!

Speaking of food in Texas, where is the best place to get actual good food at SFoT? The barbeque place by the Oil Rig looks to have good google reviews....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 7:19 PM, Sportsdude360 said:

Got this gift card for $205.92 for not pausing my DE membership during the pandemic!

20210606_103425.jpg

Very confused here.  Is Six Flags giving this out to everybody who didn't pause their memberships?  And why that specific amount?  Did you receive any notice or communications ahead of time that you would be receiving this?