TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, tndank said:

...Also, they confirmed at Winterfest they are adding the turn table and extra boat for Aquaman this year.

Good for them to FINALLY realize, that THIS is the best way to do the ride. IMhO. When they first announced it, I was really shocked that (first concept art) it was a one boat only, thing. Thankfully, they came to their collective senses, lol.

1 hour ago, Nrthwnd said:

Good for them to FINALLY realize, that THIS is the best way to do the ride. IMhO. When they first announced it, I was really shocked that (first concept art) it was a one boat only, thing. Thankfully, they came to their collective senses, lol.

From what I understand, it was the new President that took over a couple months ago that made the call.  Not sure if he just gets the credit, or if he really did have a hand in it.  Either way, great news for sure.

12 hours ago, cfc said:

I was never clear on their "year-round" status.

last year was their 1st year round cycle (and it got funky due to Covid).

SFFT went year round 2 years ago.

So my son and I are going to make an attempt to get down to the park on Pres Day pending which way the virus goes by then since it does involve us getting on a plane. Trying to reschedule our cancelled Spring Break trip from last March and running out of days to do it. Glad they are having the new festival, will be fun to have something other than just barely open like the parks we managed to get to over the summer, although I was grateful for any parks that managed to open. Will look forward to any trip reports before then.

• Like 1

Ok so in case anyone didn't know (and maybe you all did already)  Apparently you cannot have two preferred parking reservations active at the same time, even if they are for different parks on different days. Couldn't make a res for SFOT on 2/15 because I already have one for SFFT on 2/14. Certainly not the end of the world, don't have to have pp and there will very like be available spots anyway on day of. But still, annoying.

• Like 1

^ you do NOT want preferred parking at SFOT - if you are planning to stay until end of day.

they empty the lots at end of day, by opening up exits at the BACK & Sides of the main lots. . so if you're in preferred (ie: parking up front), it's a bitch and a half to get out.  You'll be sitting stuck in massive traffic jam if you wait until end of day to leave.

Yeah, you would THINK you could exit out the same entrance you came in, but nope. . SFOT doesn't do that.

so yeah, Kim, I'd say go towards the back of the lot, nearest the exits you can find, then just make the longer walk up to the front gates.  You're gonna be doing a lot of walking anyways, and it will save you a ton of grief at the end of the day (just my 2cents).

this isn't an issue at SFFT, since the Exit is the same as the Entrance for everyone.

I'm going to SFOT and SFFT most likely on March 6 and 7th (Saturday and Sunday.)  It really doesn't matter which day I go to which one.  Does it matter which one I do which day as far as crowds are concerned?  Additionally, I could go to SFFT on that Monday since they're open for spring break and I would just have to find something to do around town on Saturday.  For context, I've never been to either park or even the state of Texas and want to hit as many rides as I can.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:32 PM, bert425 said:

^ you do NOT want preferred parking at SFOT - if you are planning to stay until end of day.

they empty the lots at end of day, by opening up exits at the BACK & Sides of the main lots. . so if you're in preferred (ie: parking up front), it's a bitch and a half to get out.  You'll be sitting stuck in massive traffic jam if you wait until end of day to leave.

Yeah, you would THINK you could exit out the same entrance you came in, but nope. . SFOT doesn't do that.

so yeah, Kim, I'd say go towards the back of the lot, nearest the exits you can find, then just make the longer walk up to the front gates.  You're gonna be doing a lot of walking anyways, and it will save you a ton of grief at the end of the day (just my 2cents).

this isn't an issue at SFFT, since the Exit is the same as the Entrance for everyone.

Good to know! I guess I accidentally did the right thing and secured the reservation at SFFT. Although I still think it is weird that you cannot have two parking reservations open when they are different parks on different days.....but, whatever.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have a ride question about Texas Sky Screamer.  Usually rides seem have redundancy, meaning if one system fails, there is a 2nd mechanism in place to prevent an accident.  What I don't understand about Texas Sky Screamer, for starters, is that every seat attaches at a single point.  See attachment. It would SEEM as if that one connection fails, the seat could potentially fall to the ground.  Is anybody familiar with the technical aspects of this ride, in terms of if that one brace were to fail?  Also, when there were high winds, I saw riders up there literally facing backwards as they were twisted around.  I'm aware the ride operators are usually supposed to suspend under high winds.  Now, the seatbelt is high up on the chest (I'm average height), so I can imagine a huge gust of wind for a split second tipping the seat upside down and it being theoretically possible to slip out with how high the seat belt is.

2193388-2.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 2.25.25 PM copy.jpg

seat.jpg

my only input is that it's SUPPOSED to feel like it could be dangerous, but I've never felt unsafe on it.

and tho they do stop it in cases of high wind (which happens a LOT), even on calmer days, the seats sometimes do that "flip around" thing, just from the spinning motion of the ride (and it's always a bit windy up there).

it's a fun ride.

• Like 1

I was going to say, our StarFlyer (AtmosFEAR) here at Playland(PNE) has the same setup with each pair of seats on it.

When I've been brave enough to actually look up, I could easily see it's the same rigging as what's been shown here.

Scary, especially when it's windy, but very safe to ride.

4 hours ago, michaellynn4 said:

It's the same connection on not just all Star Flyers, but almost all Wave Swings, too. I'm sure a closer, detailed picture would show how it's actually very secure with more than one connection point.

These are the clearest pictures I could find.  To me, it appears to still have one connection point, whereas if that one "brace" failed, that's it.

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

• Like 1

So, since we have had to reschedule Texas coaster trips for covid. And snowstorms. And then park closures/power outages/water problems. 😒 We are going to do something kind of crazy when the park is open during the week of March 15th. On that Tuesday the 16th we are going to hop an early flight, go right from the airport to the park, do the day, crash at a hotel and get up early the next morning to fly home and take the boy right to school.

Any suggestions on a unique local breakfast joint between Love Field and the park? If not any old I-Hop or Waffle House will do but though I would ask.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, tanthonyam said:

So now that Texas has opened up 100% and mask mandates now not required will SFOT allow non maskers??

Texas has *NOT* "opened up 100%" as most residents realize that Abbott pulled this crap because he desperately wants to please Trump/CPAC idiots.

the blowback has been FIERCE here in Texas, and many companies are coming forward and forcefully stating they will absolutely NOT be changing any requirements.

I would be absolutely shocked if Six Flags Over Texas (or SFFT) suddenly stop temperature checking, or enforcing masks within their parks.   

the Governor, our Senators, and many Republican Members of Government may not give a shit if they put Citizens at risk (and they sure as hell didn't care about Citizens freezing to death, so it's a safe bet to say they don't care about the health of their Citizens re: Covid). . but the individual companies are stepping up.

I would put pretty good money on anyone foolish enough to show up without a mask, or take mask off once entering the parks?  will be removed immediately.

it's not worth the bad press to them. .and frankly, many of those attending the parks would revolt and refuse to go if they don't keep enforcing.

despite that we keep electing idiots like Abbott, Cruz, Paxton, Cornyn, Gohemert, etc. . . ?   There are a lot of *not* stupid Texans living here.

oh and to add?  Texas is FOURTY-EIGHTH (out of 50 States) in terms of population vaccinated.   The Infection Rate & Death rate on Monday was *higher* than it was when Abbott first put the Mask Mandates in place back in July 2020 (way too late, but at least he did it).

*and* Houston yesterday made history for being the 1st City in the USA (possibly world?) to have ALL 28 variations of Covid present in the City.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, tanthonyam said:

So now that Texas has opened up 100% and mask mandates now not required will SFOT allow non maskers??

from what I have seen online it looks like unfortunately Six Flags policy will still require them 

• Like 1

Deleted.

Edit:  In retrospect, my comment was off topic and did not add anything to the discussion of SFoT.