TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Just glancing at Queue Times, here were some wait times from Saturday at their peak (around late afternoon / early evening).

Titan: 70 minutes

Batman: 60 minutes

Mr. Freeze: 60 minutes

New Texas Giant : 40 minutes

Shockwave: 60 minutes

Runaway Mountain: 55 minutes

Pandemonium: 60 minutes

... prepare to buy a Flash Pass. Wait times are updated less frequently here than at other parks in the chain so they probably got a lot shorter as the night went on and they were probably a lot shorter early in the day but still, there are a lot of coasters and not a lot of time.

On the plus side, everything major was open but it's a year-round park now so everything would be barring seasonal maintenance.

Edited by coasterbill

Thanks for the tips.

The good news is we're driving (and my family is driving independently from my marching band), so we have lots of flexibility. If we have a great 8 hours at SFOT and do everything, we may even pop down to SFFT on Sunday before driving home on Monday. I guess we'll just play it by ear when the time comes.

Regardless, I'm excited to get on New Texas Giant and Mr. Freeze. Those are two coasters I've been wanting to ride for years now!

best of luck on Freeze -

it took me over 10 years of visits to the park for us to get a visit when it was running (and during that two day visit, it broke down BOTH DAYS we were there, and both times while I was in line).

luckily, I did manage to get a ride on it, after waiting out the 1st break down, since I was so close to the station, I elected to wait out the downtime, which was about 40 minutes).

at SFStl, it was only running 1 side, but it was running the entire time I was there on our 1 visit (tho I did need Flash Pass for it, even on a "slow" day, since only running one side.

it's a great coaster, so really. . best of luck with it!

When we went to SFOT last December, we were able to get in early and then when we were standing at the rope inside the park, there was a line for members. Turns out members get past the rope 10 minutes early. We were able to head back toward New Texas Giant and were first in line for the first train of the day. It had some technical issues, but it was nice to know we could get in a few minutes earlier.

Titan was right there so we rode it a few times until New Texas Giant was ready. I think the MCBR on Titan loosened something in my daughter's brain because she still says it's her favorite coaster of the trip. I thought Titan was great, but Iron Rattler at SFFT took that title for me. SFOT was great. They have a bobsled, a Schwarzkopf looper, an RMC conversion, a Giovanola Hyper, the first Arrow Mine Train... It really is a great lineup!

Wow, I hadn't realized how cheap the Flash Passes are at SFOT, even on that Saturday (12/21). They're only $40 and $65 for Regular and Gold, respectively. We definitely may do that just to ensure we can ride what we want in those 8 hours, then drive down to SFFT Sunday morning and spend the day there, then drive back home to CA on Monday and Tuesday.

This trip was very spur-of-the-moment, but I'm getting excited now. Hopefully both parks have most of their rides running since we're only spending one day at each. If not, it's still better than not going at all. They're both brand new parks for me.

Any other tips (for either park) would be appreciated. It'll be our first time in Texas!

With that being the last Saturday before Christmas and the day after kids get out of school for the break, I would expect it to be pretty busy barring wet or below freezing weather. It's been pretty mild so far this fall and despite a cold spell this week I wouldn't be shocked if it stays mild going into Christmas. I haven't been to the park since September, but just following along the last few weeks on Facebook groups, it sounds like there's an early rush on Saturday at opening and then the crowds pick up again as it starts to get dark around 5:00.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to pop in this thread and say that I had a FANTASTIC time at Six Flags Over Texas on Saturday. The park exceeded my expectations greatly. I was worried about one train operations, ride closures, bad weather, and more, given the time of year. So many things could have gone wrong, but I guess I got REALLY lucky.

Batman, Titan, Shockwave, New Texas Giant, and even Judge Roy Scream were all running two trains and dispatching very well. Mr. Freeze was running just one side, but I was just thrilled it was open! The park also looked fantastic for HITP, and every coaster and flat ride was up and running. It could not have gone better. We also purchased a Flash Pass, which definitely helped for rides like La Vibora and Joker.

Oddly enough, I think Mr. Freeze is my favorite coaster in the park. NTG is good, but Freeze has that crazy intensity that I love in coasters. I couldn’t get enough of that ride. NTG was about what I expected. You can tell it was the first RMC, but it’s still a fun ride. It was mild enough that my mom actually rode it and liked it a lot (which cannot be said for other RMCs).

Overall I love this park. We also got a chance to visit SFFT on Sunday, which I also loved. Both Texas parks get two big thumbs up from me. Either I got very lucky, or people complain about these two park way too much that it lowered my expectations. I can’t wait to go back to again! Thanks to those who gave me some tips beforehand.

Any pics of the new ride going up yet?

Yes! I posted some about 2 pages back.

You literally posted some photos of some dirt being moved around... None of the photos actually show any vertical construction... unless I’m missing something...

This is all I saw...

20191207_142528.jpg

And it shows nothing...

Glad you had such a good experience at the park thrillseeker4552, I’m headed to SFOT for the first time in over 20 years. We decided to take the kids and do a quick Texas trip to see Holiday in the Park at SFOT and SFFT. Is there a best way to hit this park? I imagine starting with NTAG or Freeze is the way the go. If there’s any shows or good food we don’t want to miss, please let me know.

During my visit, La Vibora had the longest queue, but it has a single rider line. New Texas Giant wasn't far behind.

However, Mr. Freeze had a lot of downtime for me and I know others who've had the same issue. I'd almost recommend starting with it in case it does go down since it's really fun.

You literally posted some photos of some dirt being moved around... None of the photos actually show any vertical construction... unless I’m missing something...

This is all I saw...

20191207_142528.jpg

And it shows nothing...

Because that's all there was to show at the time this photo was taken. So far, no vertical construction has started, just underground pipes and footers. I'll be heading back out to the park soon to, hopefully, gets some shots of the ride actually going up, which I will post.

This is all I saw...

20191207_142528.jpg

And it shows nothing...

Because that's all there was to show at the time this photo was taken. So far, no vertical construction has started, just underground pipes and footers. I'll be heading back out to the park soon to, hopefully, gets some shots of the ride actually going up, which I will post.

Any updates are appreciated, ignore the negative ninnies.

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the support! I'll be posting regularly with photo and video updates on Aquaman: Power Wave construction. I also plan to attend both VIP and Member preview days, you can look forward to my full review of this fine new addition to our park's coaster line up.

And again, thanks for the support guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post some updates for the 2020 season from the recent WinterFest event. Some exciting things are coming to the park!

Mobile Dining will coming to both Six Flags Over Texas and Hurricane Harbor.

JB's BBQ will be remodeled and a new location will be coming to HH.

New Menu Healthier options will be coming including, Vegan, Vegetarian, and Gluten Free.

Turkey Legs will be offered at more locations.

Both parks will be testing new styles of self service drinks.

Six Flags Over Texas will be opening 2-3 new Bars!

The park will be hosting a Texas Beer Fest!

The park will be in year-round operations.

The Splash Water Parade will be returning for the 2020 season along with more floats.

Friendly reminder: Year round operations are awesome, but it does mean that rides are going to need to occasionally go down for refurbishment and Six Flags will give no advanced notice on this (which is something that I wish they would work on).

Be patient if the next few weeks are a bit rocky though. I expect lots of closed rides since right now everything is going to be due for refurb right around the same time since they were seasonal last year. It should improve in future years. I'm sure there will be a bunch of "I don't see year-round operations working" "This is a nightmare" posts circling the internet as is always the case the first year parks do this.

Edited by coasterbill