TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^ That's my plan...just coasters and a couple of flats.

I'm still contemplating whether it'll be worth the price given that I'll likely only have about 4 hours in the park. But I've never been to this park and not sure when I'll get the chance again!

Be prepared for heavy traffic. Traffic going in stays pretty heavy through the late afternoon and it will be compounded tomorrow by a Sunday night Cowboy game next door. That could work in your favor since Cowboy game time is known for being a good chance to enjoy alternate activities with a smaller crowd. Grocery stores, movies, etc. However, I wouldn't count on that making a huge difference with the gorgeous warm weather and closing in on the peak of Fright Fest. If it weren't your first trip to the park, I would tell you to go enjoy the closing hours of the State Fair's season, but hey, go to the park, enjoy the weather, and make the best of it.

^ That's my plan...just coasters and a couple of flats.

I'm still contemplating whether it'll be worth the price given that I'll likely only have about 4 hours in the park. But I've never been to this park and not sure when I'll get the chance again!

If you only have four hours, then yes, get the Flash Pass. Otherwise from my Fright Fest experience in the evening, you'll be pushing your luck. The lines for coasters still could take 30-45 minutes at least to go through, plus walking you'd be lucky to get four rides in. I'm like you, don't prefer Fright Fest and just there for the rides.

^ & ^^ Thanks, guys!

I never thought about the Cowboys game and heavy traffic, so that's enough to warrant caution, I suppose.

I hate to spend a ton of money on a ticket, parking, Flash Pass, etc and only be able to manage a few rides once I got there.

I guess that I'll just play it by ear when I get to DFW and see what happens.

Worse comes to worst, I can always just eat, drink and watch football in the hotel restaurant!

Look online now and see if they are still running season pass special for 2020 that included update to Gold (free parking at all parks). Usually they run thru 10/31 this deal for the Texas parks. Both will be year round open in 2020 so would get you admission to all SF parks now thru Dec 2020

If yes? Grab one

Only slightly more than single day + parking anyway. So very worth it

They require 2 riders in the last loaded seat of any train so that, in theory, there are 2 people that can see anything that happens to that train during the ride. It's come and go over the years and most recently resurfaced when the rider was ejected from NTAG. When I worked there in the mid-90s, it was explained as a insurance requirement and went so far as to say that all loaded ride units or flat rides had to have at least 2 riders. I don't know that it makes a whole lot of sense, but there is a reason behind it.

They require 2 riders in the last loaded seat of any train so that, in theory, there are 2 people that can see anything that happens to that train during the ride. It's come and go over the years and most recently resurfaced when the rider was ejected from NTAG. When I worked there in the mid-90s, it was explained as a insurance requirement and went so far as to say that all loaded ride units or flat rides had to have at least 2 riders. I don't know that it makes a whole lot of sense, but there is a reason behind it.

So if I get this right, there needs to be 2 people for observation purposes? Setting aside that cameras could be used for this, rather than park patrons, I was allowed to sit as the last person on the train solo, it just had to be in the middle or front.

I feel at this point the "must have 2 riders in the back in case you fly out" has reached urban legend staus. Who knows why they're one of the few parks with this stupid rule. I believe they don't even know why it's in place.

I try to find 3 people while I'm in line and ask the 3rd to ride in the back with me. It's always worked. But yea, ruins your ride if you can't find anyone.

I feel at this point the "must have 2 riders in the back in case you fly out" has reached urban legend staus.

Idk... when I was there last and tried riding in the last row of NTG I wasn’t allowed. I was put in the “chicken coop” till they found another single rider for the last row.

Who knows why they're one of the few parks with this stupid rule.

Maybe it’s because.... oh... I don’t know... they legit had someone FLY out of one of their roller coasters. So they implemented this procedure so that they have two sets of eyes in case something like this happens again.

I haven't ridden these coasters, but I did have a solo back seat ride on El Toro, without any issues. Although I liked the front seat of the last car more ...

Wasn't the point of adding the seat belts to prevent ejection of passengers, partly from redundancy but more because someone too large to fit would not be able to get the seat belt buckled?

Interesting they enforce that policy. Makes sense though, need someone to tell the media what happened.

In seriousness though, it's very strange they have that rule, because unless someone stands up on a ride and is thus ejected, any incident could be argued as a ride malfunction on the part of six flags.

I feel at this point the "must have 2 riders in the back in case you fly out" has reached urban legend staus.

Idk... when I was there last and tried riding in the last row of NTAG I wasn’t allowed. I was put in the “chicken coop” till they found another single rider for the last row.

Who knows why they're one of the few parks with this stupid rule.

Maybe it’s because.... oh... I don’t know... they legit had someone FLY out of one of their roller coasters. So they implemented this procedure so that they have two sets of eyes in case something like this happens again.

Because having an audience to someone flying out the coaster helps? Frankly it sounds like the ride attendants fault for giving an obese person with a questionable lock on the restraints the go ahead. Did they not have seat belts implemented on the ride back then?

Lets not forget SALLY is re doing THE CAVE

Last thing I saw on the web was they could not do any new construction on it, since it's in a flood plain. Hard to know what's true and what isn't online.

I've been wondering about Flume 1, as to if they are going to remove it, replace it, bulldoze it. Anyone have updates on it?

Isn't the guy that runs Texas Thrill Seekers the same guy that posted the ridiculous Herschend buying SFOT rumor to drive his social media traffic? Anyone that really knows what's going to happen with Gold River isn't talking and anyone that's speculating that wildly about what's happening with Gold River doesn't really know.