TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I believe this is the article. It's from Texas Thrillseekers FB page. If it's true then other media will soon pick this up.

BREAKING NEWS: “Our sources have confirmed that the purchase/acquisition of three Six Flags parks, including Six Flags Over Texas, by the minority owners and Herschend Family Entertainment for $5 billion is being discussed at the Six Flags corporate level RIGHT NOW.” The buyout could be completed as early as 2021, just in time for the park’s 60th anniversary.

For those that don’t know, Herschend Family Entertainment owns DollyWood and Silver Dollar City. I believe more than ever before that the future is incredibly bright for Six Flags Over Texas after learning this news. New leadership and a fresh start! It can only mean that positive changes are coming! What do you think, TTS? I love it! The best news I’ve heard come out of SFOT in years!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasThrillSeekers/?multi_permalinks=2061454667315093%2C2061423120651581%2C2061396133987613%2C2061205617339998&notif_id=1556221506284878&notif_t=group_activity

Well, that's certainly a rumor... but it is not out of the question for HFEC to be making a bid on SF properties. They have done it before. They almost acquired Elitch Gardens, Darien Lake, and a few other properties during the SF sell-off years ago. HFEC has been fairly conservative with their money/growth, and most people underestimate the size and power of the company.

I've been told many stories over the years about an odd setup with the ownership of SFOT. Something about minority stakeholders and original family stakeholders and such. I've been told that's part of what has held the park back in recent years while other parks have gotten larger investments. If such a situation does actually exist, this could have some weight to it.

...buuut, I don't think SF will give up SFOT willingly unless there is some sort of massive monetary incentive besides getting rid of a few minority stakeholders. It's a cash cow in any case, and a big piece of their national membership strategy.

Over Texas was the inaugural park and is the entire reason for the name of the chain. I know that the current "Six Flags" has absolutely zero left of the founders, but I would be very surprised if they sell off the park.

The price is the dead giveaway that this is just something dreamed up by a 13 year old. Premier purchased the entire chain for the inflated price of $1.86 billion. Even 21 years later, HFEC is not going to buy 3 parks for $5 billion.

I doubt a company that just acquired several smaller properties is going to sell off their larger properties, especially so short-term after acquiring those properties. I don’t think the current ownership is foolish enough to make a financial decision like buying several small properties that could have been so risky as such.

TLDR: I don’t believe it at all.

Edited by RollerManic

Like I said, if this is true

It isn't. All of the wishful thinking in the world won't make this true.

then other media outlets will be reporting it soon enough.

Why are you using "other" in this declaration? A fanboy page reporting an unsubstantiated rumor made up by a 13 year old posting from under the covers of his bunk bed is not a media outlet.

The only thing to do is to wait and see if this rumor is reported by any actual media outlets. Screamscape, Amusement Source, Over Texas Thrills ect.

Lol at what you consider "actual media outlets." How about like Dallas Morning News or one of the TV stations, ec tetera.

Anyway this is dumb. I have no doubt HFEC would be interested in buying this park for the right price, but that's beside the point. That the three parks in question are the three ground-up SF parks is a dead giveaway this came from an enthusiast's wet dream and not any actual plans. Get over it, guys, the days of Six Flags being a theme park are over.

The only thing to do is to wait and see if this rumor is reported by any actual media outlets. Screamscape, Amusement Source, Over Texas Thrills ect.

giphy.gif

I don't think I'd consider Screamscape, Amusement Source, and/or Over Texas Thrills "actual media outlets." Maybe it's just me, but I usually think as actual media outlets being reputable like, oh... I don't know... BBC, USA Today, LA Times, Washington Post... You know... real media outlets. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

giphy.gif

I don't think I'd consider Screamscape, Amusement Source, and/or Over Texas Thrills "actual media outlets." Maybe it's just me, but I usually think as actual media outlets being reputable like, oh... I don't know... BBC, USA Today, LA Times, Washington Post... You know... real media outlets. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, "media outlet" is poor choice of words on my part. I just meant sources besides FB. Preferably sources that are attuned to the theme park industry.

^The current rumor is that the 3 SF parks in question are SFOT, SFOG and SFSTL. I'm not sure how much each of these parks are currently worth.

The 3 parks in question are SFOT, SFOG, and Whitewater Atlanta

This rumor is so hard to believe. Those parks are not even worth 1 billion let alone 5 haha

When I first heard this I couldn’t help but think of Dr Evil: “5 Billion Dollars!”

The guy that originally posted it has pretty much walked it back altogether. Now he's saying it was simply "discussed" at some point, but isn't happening. I'm sure there's more details that I missed. He posted his update in a 7+ minute stammering video that I didn't have the patience to sit through. Most of the comments to that post were congratulating him for stirring up discussion (which was probably the motive behind it) and declaring that the doubters just weren't open to or ready for change.

[attachment=0]BB05AFD1-4DDB-4C7B-87B2-113476AB468C.jpeg[/attachment]

This is the original 3 Six Flags parks we’re talking about. They are 100% not going to sell them. Plus Six Flags St Louis is the only park in the chain that they completely own.

I swear if this pops up on screamscape I’ll eat my hat

Hopefully you aren’t ready to eat your hat because you won’t believe which site posted this rumor.

Edited by 9Armgeddon4

[attachment=0]BB05AFD1-4DDB-4C7B-87B2-113476AB468C.jpeg[/attachment]

This is the original 3 Six Flags parks we’re talking about. They are 100% not going to sell them. Plus Six Flags St Louis is the only park in the chain that they completely own.

I swear if this pops up on screamscape I’ll eat my hat

You’re going to be eat your hat because you won’t believe which site posted this rumor.

I can confirm, Screamscape actually reported on this for some reason.