TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

It's hardly the craftsmanship of a Windseeker.

Because when I think quality craftsmanship, I think of Windseeker.

Let's look at the pros of Starflyers and Windseekers real quick. I'll ignore the fact that I think the Starflyer provides a better ride since that's totally arbitrary but I think most people would agree with me.

Staflyer

- More accommodating restraints, I've never seen a "walk of shame" on one. On Windseekers it happens almost every cycle

- Can run in extremely high winds

- Much more reliable

- Cheaper (by all accounts)

- Don't routinely get stuck for hours at a time leading to national news stories at parks across the country which forced the rides to close down so they could build huge evacuation platforms that now need to be stored near the rides.

- Don't have balancing issues that cause constant faults like Windseekers do

Windseeker

- Looks pretty

^^ After riding CP's, KI's and Adventureland's Windseeker's last year and now riding my first Star Flyer at VF this year I have to agree. Just an overall better experience and thrill. Not a ton better, but better in my opinion.

I just cleaned up a lot of stupidity and name calling in this thread. Seems like I've had to do this quite a bit over the last few days. Sigh.

Let's keep the conversation civil and focused on Six Flags Over Texas, please.

Thank you.

Anyone care to speculate as to what we'll get next year?

SFOT has received the full array of the "big ticket " SF rides. They have a RMC, 4D Free Spin, Justice League, Skyscreamer, Discovery, and the only park to get an Endeavour. I'm on board with the notion of something small, hence an off year.

SFOT has received the full array of the "big ticket " SF rides. They have a RMC, 4D Free Spin, Justice League, Skyscreamer, Discovery, and the only park to get an Endeavour. I'm on board with the notion of something small, hence an off year.

Hurricane Harbor hasn't gotten anything new in a while now. Which is why I'm thinking water coaster.

I honestly am very disappointed with the last 6 years of installations because I had always hoped that the whole removal quest of Goodtimes Square would result in another massive, beautiful coaster, especially including the land of the old shopping center. Not a permanent installation of a traveling carnival. And because of Joker, now we have to wait at least ANOTHER five years for anything that *Six Flags co* thinks is a big ticket attraction. I don't understand why the original Six Flags park with great attendance and earnings barely ever gets a good coaster. The park is pretty much a half day park, and the only reason why it's ever considered a full day is because it's almost ALWAYS mobbed. There are only 3 roller coasters in the park that would be considered great and unique by the coaster community, obviously NTAG, Mr. Freeze, Shockwave. The rest are passable. And don't even get me started on the upkeep of the park lately. I'll say a few things about it, like the broken Runaway Mountain waterfall, Mr. Freeze animatronic just given up on, never turning the Danny Elfman music on in either Freeze or Batman, Boomtown and Gotham city smelling like a seafood dumpster, closed Titan restrooms, closed Texas arcade, Yosemite Sam falling apart, daily breaking of yet another effect in Justice League, on an on. Oh. And no more good Pink Things to ice the crap cake. I'm sorry for the rant, but it's time.

^ I can understand most of your frustrations, but I feel like most of it is subjective. For instance, my home park is SFStL and I would love to have just one of the awesome coasters SFOT has (and no, Flashback didn't count lol). We don't have a hyper, or an RMC.

Yeah, we can be frustrated together! It's just that the difference here, objectively, is that SFoT serves a 7 million plus metro area population, which is more than Atlanta for example, which has 4 B&Ms, possibly an upcoming RMC, one of the best Schwarzkopfs, and a Gerstlauer Eurofighter.

I honestly am very disappointed with the last 6 years of installations because I had always hoped that the whole removal quest of Goodtimes Square would result in another massive, beautiful coaster, especially including the land of the old shopping center. Not a permanent installation of a traveling carnival. And because of Joker, now we have to wait at least ANOTHER five years for anything that *Six Flags co* thinks is a big ticket attraction. I don't understand why the original Six Flags park with great attendance and earnings barely ever gets a good coaster. The park is pretty much a half day park, and the only reason why it's ever considered a full day is because it's almost ALWAYS mobbed. There are only 3 roller coasters in the park that would be considered great and unique by the coaster community, obviously NTAG, Mr. Freeze, Shockwave. The rest are passable. And don't even get me started on the upkeep of the park lately. I'll say a few things about it, like the broken Runaway Mountain waterfall, Mr. Freeze animatronic just given up on, never turning the Danny Elfman music on in either Freeze or Batman, Boomtown and Gotham city smelling like a seafood dumpster, closed Titan restrooms, closed Texas arcade, Yosemite Sam falling apart, daily breaking of yet another effect in Justice League, on an on. Oh. And no more good Pink Things to ice the crap cake. I'm sorry for the rant, but it's time.

I really do not think there will be another 5-year coaster hiatus. The S&S Free Spins are actually inexpensive coasters with a small footprint. The Justice League was much, much more expensive. I agree with the lack of upkeep as I noticed a few elements of the JL missing and/or broken on my last visit. Maintenance seems to be a chain-wide problem but something they are trying to catch up on doing. I have to admit though the flat rides the park has added recently are quite impressive and are a far cry from 'carnival rides'. The Riddler's Revenge is way more extreme than many coasters and I sure hope OG gets one someday.

You answered your own question. The park is profitable and well attendend. Therefore the park doesn't need large investments in order to maintain attendance levels and profit margins. It is far wiser for the company to take the capital that would have gone to a large expansion at an already sucessful park and send it to parks that are less successful in order to make them more profitable.

Yeah I guess it's time for me to move to Sandusky. I'm so tired of being disappointed by Six Flags! Haha

Yeah, we can be frustrated together! It's just that the difference here, objectively, is that SFoT serves a 7 million plus metro area population, which is more than Atlanta for example, which has 4 B&Ms, possibly an upcoming RMC, one of the best Schwarzkopfs, and a Gerstlauer Eurofighter.

Uh, yes.... Well um.... I don't think we'll be getting a new Schwarzkopf!

You answered your own question. The park is profitable and well attendend. Therefore the park doesn't need large investments in order to maintain attendance levels and profit margins. It is far wiser for the company to take the capital that would have gone to a large expansion at an already sucessful park and send it to parks that are less successful in order to make them more profitable.

Except, that's not what SF Corporate does. The profitable and successful parks (GAm, MM, Adv, OT) get more and the less successful ones get scraps..ie...LaRonde, SFA, Stl, etc.. Then, there are the middle tier parks. Looking at the additions since 2011(post bankruptcy), there are clear corporate favorites.

That was my perspective in my original rant. The ones that make sense to me are MM and GAdv in that the former is competing with seemingly millions of entertainment options and the latter is in the country's most populated area by far. My rant was based basically comparing SFGAm, SFoG, SFFT, and SFoT in which SFoT gets the least of those four lately.

Let me just be clear in my dream for this park has been for years to have a B&M flyer around the pond next to Judge Roy Scream. I'm just bitter that it looks like Six Flags may never again spend $20+ million on a single ride anywhere, especially since we've had years of Cedar Fair installing these amazing coasters.

I edited this post multiple times, sorry.

That was my perspective in my original rant. The ones that make sense to me are MM and GAdv in that the former is competing with seemingly millions of entertainment options and the latter is in the country's most populated area by far. My rant was based basically comparing SFGAm, SFoG, SFFT, and SFoT in which SFoT gets the least of those four lately.

Let me just be clear in my dream for this park has been for years to have a B&M flyer around the pond next to Judge Roy Scream. I'm just bitter that it looks like Six Flags may never again spend $20+ million on a single ride anywhere, especially since we've had years of Cedar Fair installing these amazing coasters.

SFOT has not actually got the least out of SFGAm, SFOG, SFFT, SFOT group lately IMO. I would say SFOG got the least. SFOG has no Discovery or 4D and are just now likely getting a RMC, something SFOT got long ago. Not to mention SFOT avoided the super loop, which SFOG didn't.

Just be glad your home park isn't WoF, VF, MA, or Dorney. SFOT has gotten a smorgasbord in comparison the past 6 years or so.