TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^ Also remember the track for free spins are manufactured by RMC. RMC coasters are built the exact same way, one piece at a time.

Yeah, but considering these are all steel coasters one would think the track could be pre-assembled. Then again there's probably a reason they do not do it.. just interesting is all

Yeah, but considering these are all steel coasters one would think the track could be pre-assembled. Then again there's probably a reason they do not do it.. just interesting is all

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess the reason(s) RMC doesn't pre-assemble the track is/are:

1.) Shipping - I'm sure it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to ship the track the way they do now.

2.) Cost - I'm sure it's more cost effective for RMC the provide the track to the park, and then have the park assemble it, instead of having the park pay RMC assemble it.

I know in the grand scheme of the cost of a new roller coaster, these two cost aren't that huge, but as with any new huge addition you know companies like to save money any where they can.

Speaking of cost saving, I noticed the original Free Spin had a platform and stairs near the first trim brake. The subsequent models have omitted this. Not sure if it's cost saving measure or if they just deemed it unnecessary.

172416105_2017-01-3111_35_50.jpg.75988096feb7dc1972ebecbe52cbb972.jpg

Original at SFFT

1319931852_2017-01-3111_23_51.thumb.jpg.8e1c0e84eba376342e4af799a252edca.jpg

Joker at Gradv

610411724_2017-01-3111_53_03.thumb.png.59946e9ef12d4677a0708a568fedb20b.png

SFOT

Hey everyone. Just booked a trip for my son and I to visit for 2 days that second week of June. We'll be here probably on a Tuesday and Wednesday. I was hoping to get a few tips from you guys.

1) what will the weather be like? I'm expecting warm but will it be in the 80s or the 100s?

2) How should we attack the park? My son is 13, we both will go on literally everything in the park. We're planning on being there right at opening too, so where should we try to run to? And where to from there?

3) What are the best places to eat outside of the park but nearby? Breakfast and dinner please.

Thanks so much for the help.

Hey everyone. Just booked a trip for my son and I to visit for 2 days that second week of June. We'll be here probably on a Tuesday and Wednesday. I was hoping to get a few tips from you guys.

1) what will the weather be like? I'm expecting warm but will it be in the 80s or the 100s?

2) How should we attack the park? My son is 13, we both will go on literally everything in the park. We're planning on being there right at opening too, so where should we try to run to? And where to from there?

3) What are the best places to eat outside of the park but nearby? Breakfast and dinner please.

Thanks so much for the help.

I'm not a local, but from our visit last summer in June the weather was crazy humid. I see you're a Californian too, so the humidity will be quite palpable to you There were also intermittent thunderstorms while we were there, so we had to deal with rides being down. SFOT has an overly cautious T Storm policy, the storm has to be 25-30 miles away before they re-open rides IIRC.

There's a Denny's and Subway right across the street. There's also a JB's smokehouse within a mile radius we went to, I thought the food was pretty good.

Speaking of cost saving, I noticed the original Free Spin had a platform and stairs near the first trim brake. The subsequent models have omitted this. Not sure if it's cost saving measure or if they just deemed it unnecessary.

Probably a little bit of both. As time went on they probably learned that it was a bit unnecessary, and they could save money by not having it there. By removing it they could kill to Raven's with one Symoné.

I love seeing it from new angles. It helps with knowing the exact location for those of us who are not locals. So, Joker is essentially on what used to be the parking lot for the old strip mall, correct?

HOT! Expect to drink plenty of water, and a wear a baseball cap if your prone to sunburning. Also be prepared for thunderstorms popping up.

Are you a Gold Pass Season Holder? Get there early enough to take advantage of the 10 minute early entry. Once in, run to The Joker! Then ride Rddler, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Batman if you want. You should probably snack at this point. Grab a snack an decide if you want to Battle Metropolis or take on Titan, The Giant among Coasters. If you choose Jusctice League, ride it, then take a right aqt the lemonade stand heading towards the front of the park, and go into France. Check out Runaway Mountain. Then go over To Texas Giant and then ride Titan. At this point, all you have left is ShockWave, which will most likely be VR and a little longer wait, and La Vibora which also has a bit of a longer line. Id recommend checking out the nachos in the sports bar and then ride La Vibora. Then head over to ShockWave.

This area of Arlington has several places within 5 mins of the park to eat. Use Google to look and compare locations near the park and your hotel to eat.

^ Yes, in fact you can see the old strip mall directly behind it in the video. Supposedly, they are going to demolish the strip mall at some point to make room for expansion.

The park has already demoed the part of the strip mall for expansion. The remaining building will be used for a future use.

^What use could they possibly have for a derelict old building, except possibly for storage. I still think it's an eyesore and it should be gotten rid of. That land should be cleared and re-themed to Gotham. Additional flat rides and/or gift shops or possibly even a new eatery could be placed there. Joker's Burger Shack anyone?

Edited by Sportsdude360

^What use could they possible have for a derelict old building, except possibly for storage. I still think it's an eyesore and it should be gotten rid of. That land should be cleared and re-themed to Gotham. Additional flat rides and/or gift shops or possibly even a new eatery could be placed there. Joker's Burger Shack anyone?

That "derelict old building" has a kitchen in it and could be used to support catering events at the park. Since the kitchen is already in tact from the old restaurant it use to be it could also be used for a new restaurant. New construction is expensive, so to save money the park could easily convert the restaurant into a DC themed restaurant. The same way they redid the sports Bar in Spain. The parts of the strip mall that were torn down were old retail spaces.

^Now were talkin! A DC themed restaurant would be great! I'll have the Batman burger please, no wait, make that the Superman Double Hero burger! My girlfriend here will have the Wonder Woman chicken strips. Oh, and we'll both have the Joker's Own Chocolate Villain Shake for desert!

I'm not sure if they still have a worker up there on a regular basis, but back when I worked there, the main reason to have someone there was the distance from the station and how long it took to get someone out there if there was an issue. Getting out there involved walking down the service road that goes around the lift and through the center of the ride, climbing up one 15 foot ladder to cross the bridge over the creek and then down another, and then walking up the several flights of stairs up to the brake run. It took me a good 10 minutes to get there 23 years ago when I was in pretty decent shape. That's a long time to have a stranded train full of nervous riders sitting unattended. I'm sure now days they rely on security cameras and a p.a. system to keep the peace until someone can get there and that's probably sufficient. I'm not sure how the control system functions now, but you also had to have someone there to possibly turn a key switch or press an acknowledge button to restart the train unless it automatically stopped there because of a back up in the brake shed (very rare since there was room for 1 train in the station and 2 in the brake shed).