TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Is this the same "strip mall" spot near the entrance behind BTR? It's been rumored for like 10+ years that a new coaster was going to go in there.

Yes, but New Gotham was built right next to the area with a gate connecting it to the "parking lot" to the strip mall. What your seeing is demolition work on the lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see the building demoed soon.

Is this the same "strip mall" spot near the entrance behind BTR? It's been rumored for like 10+ years that a new coaster was going to go in there.

Yes, but New Gotham was built right next to the area with a gate connecting it to the "parking lot" to the strip mall. What your seeing is demolition work on the lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see the building demoed soon.

Okay interesting! SFOT was my original home park and I haven't been since 2011 but I'm going to try to go next month to see how it's progressed. This is a good sign that a possible coaster could be on the way. I just pray that it isn't a S&S 4D Free-Spin clone.

Actually, this demolition is just to make way for that new 400ft Ring the Bell game that I've been hoping for. Well, that and a few new restrooms!

On a more serious note; I don't think it will be an S&S 4D. There's already one at SFFT, and I don't think SF would put the exact same coaster at both parks. I know they did it with Tony Hawk (Pandemonium), but that was years ago. A Wing Rider is a possibility.

Here's another peek over the fence with a view of a dumpster being filled up. They are definitely doing some land clearing. Every day more and more.

After visiting on Saturday and getting my own view of the site. I believe they are merely setting up a site for either the same ole Zombie haunt or a new haunt for Fright Fest.

Work is being done on the old Mexican Restaurant in Spain. I bet it's a new haunt for Fright Fest. There were black curtains in the windows blocking anyone from looking inside.

EDIT: The only reason I mentioned the black curtains is because during the Johnny Rockets remodel, you could see inside the windows.

13528129_1125223097537946_5709334205166999970_o.thumb.jpg.819bbbb0ed05c9ed9d60f752ec130a0c.jpg

Mexican Restaurant in Spain

I'd also like to throw a suggestion out there for "New Technology Six Flags might bring to their parks." These Kuka Robocoasters won IAAPA's best new technology applied to an amusement park last year. I have no idea how much these cost, and what the ride capacity per hour is, but this could be a possibility.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.3079ca5cb594c166cea971784f6f08f5.jpg

I'd also like to throw a suggestion out there for "New Technology Six Flags might bring to their parks." These Kuka Robocoasters won IAAPA's best new technology applied to an amusement park last year. I have no idea how much these cost, and what the ride capacity per hour is, but this could be a possibility.

These rides would seem to have an atrocious capacity, so if Six Flags or any major park would choose to add one, I imagine it would be an upcharge.

Yeah it'd definitely have to be an upcharge. Honestly unless they add at least 4 seats or have an array of these things going, I can't see them turning that much of a profit compared to the cost (those robots aren't cheap).

Interesting that they're finally doing something to Casa de las Banderas. Perhaps it could be a real Mexican restaurant again?!

These rides would seem to have an atrocious capacity, so if Six Flags or any major park would choose to add one, I imagine it would be an upcharge.

Would it work for Great Escape? Or would capacity still be a challenge even for them?

I might be heading to the park next week if all goes to plan. Can't wait to get some much needed rides on NTaG and ShockWave. How has the VR affected the line for ShockWave? Is it one of busiest rides in the park now or still somewhere in the middle? I'll be there on a weekday so it shouldn't be that bad but still, I'd rather get more rides in than less. Can't wait to try Riddler Revenge, it'll be my first larger sized Frisbee.

My pipe dream for SFOT that's never going to happen is a B&M reprofile of... well, that hyper coaster they have at the front. Reprofile the first drop to give airtime, replace the helices with less boring and less painful elements like overbanks and airtime hills, and replace the trains with B&M hyper trains. It would easily take it from being a mediocre (at best) ride to an awesome fun coaster and the tallest B&M hyper. It could also use a new paint job.

How has the VR affected the line for ShockWave? Is it one of busiest rides in the park now or still somewhere in the middle? I'll be there on a weekday so it shouldn't be that bad but still, I'd rather get more rides in than less.

Not a local so I can't give the best/most up to date answer, but when I was there at the end of April, Shockwave had about a 20 minute wait when everything else was a walk-on. I'd assume this has gotten worse as the park is now in peak season.

Dispatches were a nightmare. Some of it was probably due to them only running one train that day, but a lot of the headsets weren't working which held up the train as well. Maybe it's gotten a bit better, but hearing how much trouble this VR is giving people in parks like New England makes me believe it's still bad at Over Texas as well.

Dispatches were a nightmare. Some of it was probably due to them only running one train that day, but a lot of the headsets weren't working which held up the train as well. Maybe it's gotten a bit better, but hearing how much trouble this VR is giving people in parks like New England makes me believe it's still bad at Over Texas as well.

I visited on one of the busiest days of the year but splurged on a platinum pass. With the pass, the line started on the final ramp to the station and that took about 30 mins (which I'm guessing would have ordinarily taken about 5-10 minutes). Because of the problems with the headsets (at least a couple would break per train), dispatches were between 5-8 minutes. From what I was told, the line without any kind of fast pass was around 3 hours. It was incredibly busy on the day I was there, but I would suggest that if you want to ride Shockwave at all, get over to it as fast as you can.

Most of the rides were between 1.5 and 2.5 hours when I was there, but Shockwave and Runaway Mountain seemed to be the worst all day long whereas the others would lighten up now and again.

• 2 weeks later...