TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I almost forgot, an update to my previous post on opening date for the 2016 season, it's been bumped to March 5th. It had been penciled in for the week before but with some upcoming changes and other factors it was decided the extra week was needed.

Now for the good news, extra days have been added to the operating schedule versus years past which includes Friday evenings in April. A few spring break tweaks that were also done include being open only a few select days for the out of area kids versus the entire week like in 2015, but have added an all day Friday in March. May is also looking like a healthy schedule with school days starting on the 12th and then daily starts in June until Mid August. It's good to see them use the parks assets more than they have in previous. The crowds have paid it forward with a large attendance numbers.

All in all there will be more opportunities to visit in 2016 vs 2015.

Something I have observed in the past few operating months that I have not ever seen before was a line stretching all the way past LaVibora, to just get into the park. I've been on some crowded days in the past, and have never seen them like that. As I approached the main gate area, I tried to figure out if they were doing something different with check-in. I couldn't. Was it really THAT bad or did they change up something that I missed? Thankfully I have Discover card and was able to skip the majority of that line. But that is only good the first hour-2 that the park is open. Every once in awhile they'd open the side entrance. It makes me wonder if that is what they have in store for us for 2016?

I like how they had it for 2015. The lines seemed to flow a lot faster.

Now to give season pass processing their own lines....

I really feel the change was a huge improvement to the way they had it in years before.

Overall I feel like this season was the best season for the park in a long time. We got our first passes (since I was a teenager) in 2013. It was a tough season with Giant and Shock Wave out of commission for so long. I feel like the park has made a lot of improvements since then.

One of my last visits had some of the best operations I have ever seen out there. Especially on Titan, Giant, and Shock Wave. Titan crew had trains dispatched and climbing the lift as the previous train entered the first breaks.

My biggest complaint would be some of the food service lines. It took a solid 20 + minutes to get through with one person in front of me at Newman's. When I got up to the window, employees were horsing around.

I'm so glad they gave us the bonus days. They were so dead, I finally felt like I could enjoy the park and get some good riding in!!!

Agreed. the park did make some improvements. I also witnessed Titan running 3 trains and was dumbstruck to the point I almost wanted to take photo evidence as I hadn't seen a 3 train operation in years. Alas it was short lived though, I went back the final weekend and it was back to the 2 train slow operation on Titan and Giant...hopefully, they're starting to get the hang of operations and it'll be more consistent.

Something I have observed in the past few operating months that I have not ever seen before was a line stretching all the way past LaVibora, to just get into the park. I've been on some crowded days in the past, and have never seen them like that. As I approached the main gate area, I tried to figure out if they were doing something different with check-in. I couldn't. Was it really THAT bad or did they change up something that I missed? Thankfully I have Discover card and was able to skip the majority of that line. But that is only good the first hour-2 that the park is open. Every once in awhile they'd open the side entrance. It makes me wonder if that is what they have in store for us for 2016?

I like how they had it for 2015. The lines seemed to flow a lot faster.

Now to give season pass processing their own lines....

I really feel the change was a huge improvement to the way they had it in years before.

Overall I feel like this season was the best season for the park in a long time. We got our first passes (since I was a teenager) in 2013. It was a tough season with Giant and Shock Wave out of commission for so long. I feel like the park has made a lot of improvements since then.

One of my last visits had some of the best operations I have ever seen out there. Especially on Titan, Giant, and Shock Wave. Titan crew had trains dispatched and climbing the lift as the previous train entered the first breaks.

My biggest complaint would be some of the food service lines. It took a solid 20 + minutes to get through with one person in front of me at Newman's. When I got up to the window, employees were horsing around.

I'm so glad they gave us the bonus days. They were so dead, I finally felt like I could enjoy the park and get some good riding in!!!

This sounds like a very good thing (other than the food lines).

Glad to hear that things are improving at this park!

wrestlemanina.jpg.ec8b670fd43a05eff3e47e6fd86b9707.jpgJust a reminder, the first week of April will be WWE Wrestlemania week with Wrestlemania being held at AT&T Stadium April 3! Six Flags will be open til 9pm that Sunday. So if you don't like crowds or traffic, you may want to stay away that week-end as people from all over the world descend on Dallas and Arlington. For more info about Wrestlemania week, go to http://www.wrestlemania.com for list of stuff happening that week. Just doing this as a service to anybody who planned on going to SFOT that weekend.

So 2016 just keeps getting better as we lose a lot of celebrities, but yesterday terrible news for anyone who goes to Six Flags parks. Joe Alaskey, it was announced on Twitter yesterday passed. He was the voice of some of our favorite Looney Tunes' characters including Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. He took over after the original voice-over actor, Mel Blanc passed. Joe's voices can be heard in the dark ride, Yosemite Sam and The Gold River Adventure.

So 2016 just keeps getting better as we lose a lot of celebrities, but yesterday terrible news for anyone who goes to Six Flags parks. Joe Alaskey, it was announced on Twitter yesterday passed. He was the voice of some of our favorite Looney Tunes' characters including Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. He took over after the original voice-over actor, Mel Blanc passed. Joe's voices can be heard in the dark ride, Yosemite Sam and The Gold River Adventure.

Thanks for mentioning Mel Blanc. I've seen posts on Facebook that imply that Mr. Alaskey, who did fine work, was the "original" voice of these characters. How soon we forget.

No problem! I grew up watching the original Looney Tunes and Mel Blanc was awesome! I remember after he passed, Six Flags sold framed cell drawings and all the Looney Tunes were giving a moment of silence to an empty microphone and it said Mel Blanc from - to - I'm not sure exactly when he passed but I worked at SFOT at the time. Mel Blanc even did voices for the early Looney Tunes' shows that were done in the parks. On the oldies station here they play Mel Blanc performing "Blue Christmas" as Porky Pig. I guess they did the recording as a goof, because you can hear high-pitched laughter in the background. But of course you can only hear it during the Christmas season. I.E. early November through December 25.

Has anyone seen the land that was cleared near six flags dr and cope land near 360? I was told by a friend that is an Arlington resident that he learned that it was aquired by the park when he went to an Arlington city council meeting. He claims they also got approval to demolish the strip behind batman. But I'm not so sure

Has anyone seen the land that was cleared near six flags dr and cope land near 360? I was told by a friend that is an Arlington resident that he learned that it was aquired by the park when he went to an Arlington city council meeting. He claims they also got approval to demolish the strip behind batman. But I'm not so sure

Will my old home park finally get a new coaster? Time will only tell, but the park for sure needs another signature/custom coaster. The collection is getting a little outdated imo. Or maybe I should use the term stagnant.