TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Hi guys. This looks like a truly stunning dark ride. It appeals to me far more than Transformers or Spiderman as it has a much heavier uses of physical sets and props, rather than relying mostly on screens. Sally has delivered.

Anyway, I have a question regarding the show building layout. I am always interested when parks re-use existing buildings for new dark rides. As JL is located in the old (Adventure?) theatre building, a large part of it has an extremely high ceiling. In some of the constructions pics where the building is an empty shell, the whole area was open right up to the ceiling (which looked to be in pretty average condition). So, my question is, does most of the ride open out to this high ceiling still? Or did they install a false ceiling that is closer to the tops of the sets? I note the old Scooby show building that is being used for the St Louis version is significantly lower height-wise. Also, does anyone know what part of the ride fits into the existing building and what part takes place in the extended building at the back?

So, what with the unholy apocalypse engulfing Texas for the forseeable future, what can I expect to shut down when it inevitably rains on Friday?

Your choices will be limited to JLBFM, Runaway Mountain and Yosemite Sam. Everything not indoors will be closed.

As long as it's not a monsoon and no lightning in the area they will still run NTAG, batman, judge roy(single train) shockwave(single train) and if not flooded Titan and mine train. Superman and Skyscreamer will run in light rain. Rode shockwave, batman, freeze, and NTAG in the rain yesterday evening.

As bad as that looks. That area of the park always floods. The park was able to open yesterday. It's been some crazy weather all over Texas.

Yeah, this is a pretty standard flood along Johnson Creek. It just looks dramatic with the rapids by the mine train. This is nowhere near the worst flooding the park has received here.

Park is pretty quiet today. Just some school groups mainly. After my recent trip to CP, the ops here make me sad lol.

That being said, they're not terrible. Just. Meh.

Titan and the Go Carts are both down for the day. I presume Titan's tunnel hasn't finished draining. The cart track for sure is still slighly flooded. Everything else seems to be going as normal.

The go carts weren't even in the station...I'm curious where they store them. Wouldn't it be fun to drive the go carts through the park?!

image.thumb.jpg.a60944e737566241c08f8268b400c9f8.jpg

The go cart track is still draining. This pic was taken after ShockWave was fully stopped and stacked.

image.thumb.jpg.950532d6d9c49e344e181b2c29c9a57c.jpg

The creek is still flowing over the access road to the back of the amphitheater.

Park is pretty quiet today. Just some school groups mainly. After my recent trip to CP, the ops here make me sad lol.

I wish Six Flags would take note of this. This is something that even the general public notices. My wife isn't an enthusiast, but she enjoys going to the parks with me. SFOT was the only park she had ever been to in her life until I took her to CP in 2009 after we got married. She completely noticed the general enthusiasm and efficiency of the CP ops compared to SFOT. As much as I love SFOT, the ops make me sad too. It's always refreshing when I go and come across a ride crew that's at least attempting to throw some enthusiasm out there and trying to keep the lines moving.

As JL is located in the old (Adventure?) theatre building, a large part of it has an extremely high ceiling. In some of the constructions pics where the building is an empty shell, the whole area was open right up to the ceiling (which looked to be in pretty average condition). So, my question is, does most of the ride open out to this high ceiling still? Or did they install a false ceiling that is closer to the tops of the sets? I note the old Scooby show building that is being used for the St Louis version is significantly lower height-wise. Also, does anyone know what part of the ride fits into the existing building and what part takes place in the extended building at the back?

I can't speak for what parts of the layout are in the original space vs the add-on, but the full ride (at least everywhere I noticed) has a dark "acoustic tile" drop ceiling, but you really don't notice unless you specifically look for it.

I saw your question and rode the ride 2 more times before I remembered to look during the ride. (Single rider is super-fast on this attraction, since each car has 2 rows of 3 people)

I wish Six Flags would take note of this. This is something that even the general public notices. My wife isn't an enthusiast, but she enjoys going to the parks with me. SFOT was the only park she had ever been to in her life until I took her to CP in 2009 after we got married. She completely noticed the general enthusiasm and efficiency of the CP ops compared to SFOT. As much as I love SFOT, the ops make me sad too. It's always refreshing when I go and come across a ride crew that's at least attempting to throw some enthusiasm out there and trying to keep the lines moving.

Could'nt agree more...My girlfriend and myself visited SFOt for the first time last year and we both noticed how un-eager the ride crews seemed. A lot of the time they would just stand around talking amongst themeselves for a few minutes before checking the restraints. It really did'nt bother me at the time as it was hot as heck ( by my standards at least) and I know I don't like moving very fast when I have to work when it's blazing hot.

Best ride dispatch I have ever seen....the Phoenix at Knoebels...no sooner had we sat down we were dispatched.

WOW!!!? I'm at the park now and you aren't going to believe what just happened.

JLBFM broke down while I was riding. My car kept stopping at various points throughout the ride.

The first time this happened was during the first scene.

Onscreen, the scene kept repeating itself and we kept blasting away for nearly ten minutes

while waiting for the ride to start up again. Unfortunately, this didn't help our scores any.

Clearly, they are ironing out a lot of bugs in the ride system. The cars kept stopping

at various places. Sometimes they would stop facing away from the screen.

Anyway, the ops let us re-ride once the cars were moving again. I see now

how much trouble shooting goes into a ride this complicated.

^I could tell you, but I don't want to spoil it for everyone! (There's more than 1)

Anyway, so today I took a stroll in the park being as it wasn't a heavy school kid day and had a pretty enjoyable time, especially with the sun finally out. Single rider line on JL is golden. Unfortunately the ride went down and interestingly enough the reason a little birdie told me was that a vehicle was overloaded. You know what they say, everything is bigger in Texas.

One other interesting thing I noticed was the concession stands were staffed by a several(ok a lot) teenage girls from Thailand. I'm assuming the park is sponsoring them which is honestly not a bad idea. It was obvious they were brand new and a little timid, but pleasant to deal with, a far cry from the usual staff of those who didn't seem to care to be at work. So once again, they are making improvements for the better.

Finally I've seen some photos and conversation circulating the internet claiming that the park has started demolition on the strip mall by removing the concrete parking lot. Well, I hate to be bad news charlie, but that isn't true. The dirt and concrete that is sitting in the parking lot of focus has been there for almost a year. I believe it was the material removed to place the asphalt pad down for the outdoor haunt.

BUT on that note, being as JL was an expensive investment, do you see any new rides for the park next year, or will the next one come in 2017? Keep in mind they have placed new attractions in 4 of the last 5 years.