TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I went to the park a couple Fridays ago and witnessed the most atrocious operations I've ever seen on Giant. There was a VC (vomit cleanup) and the crew made what should have been a painless, 10-minute delay into an awe-inspiring 30+ minute shutdown. They stalled for a good 10 minutes because they didn't have the right cleaning supplies (what happened to pre-shift checklists?) and kept endlessly cycling empty trains without cleaning or seeming to make *any* progress. The teen endlessly talking on the mic just made it more unbearable

They sent the first train with a huge pile of the kitty litter absorbent material still all in the train so I'm sure that flew everywhere on the track and got in the wheel assemblies. We ended up leaving when it became apparent the crew didn't know what the hell they were doing and couldn't provide any information on how much longer it should take to cleanup a little bit of puke.

I've never been more frustrated and flabbergasted by how they were letting such an inexperienced crew operate the park's main attraction.

^ Is the annoying ("plus-sized") girl still working the control panel and mic, singing "She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain" and all kinds of other annoying songs over and over, and saying whatever other odd thoughts come to her mind, plus picking out people (read: men) to make fun of?

Won't somebody please please pretty please think of the men????

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been any busier than this. What with the impending opening of JLBFM. Heaven forbid this ride should turn out to be a

spectacular new addition to the park and a massive hit.

I'm sure it will be great, but if I'm being honest, I'm most excited about its potential to shorten lines elsewhere in the park, and I probably won't ride it until next year. Maybe once if my buddy's kid insists on one of our trips, but I'm usually childless at the park.

I'll definitely be giving Justice League a shot. I'm sure it will be very cool and that most of us will enjoy it, but I am a thrill-rider/roller coaster rider primarily. The GP will likely eat it up and think it's great which is mostly the point, I went to Cedar Point the last few days (just got back a few hours ago at the time of this post) and as long as I can fly cheaply to go ride other extreme major attractions, then I will since Titan was our last "major" roller coaster. The TG renovation was great and it's a great ride, but it didn't improve our line-up, and even that was 4 years ago now. I've been stunned that a park that is supposed to be a flagship park hasn't been getting some new thrilling attractions, I'd be happy with some flat rides which our park lacks.

We took a quick trip out to the park this afternoon because the kid's soccer game was cancelled on account of last night's rain. I was hoping that the forecasts all week calling for a full day of rain (that didn't materialize, it stopped raining before sun up) would keep the crowds down, but the nice weather and the rescheduled bring-a-friend free weekend made for a pretty large crowd.

We kept the ride selection kid-friendly for this trip and, other than one incredibly slow worker on the kiddie swings, the operations were top notch. The crowd was rougher than normal too: lots of wild ass kids and adults pushing their way through lines ahead of people, we saw 2 adults get into an argument while trying to board the train. When we tried to get a pic of our daughter at one of the Looney Tunes character photo ops, a family sent their kids in with the characters to crash our kid's pic. Not the end of the world, but kind of irritated that we have a good pic of our kid with someone we don't know in the pic as well.

I did notice that they've painted over the ugly sheet metal facade on the Justice League building. It's a sort of grayish-purple color.

Wow, the lighting looks great!

Also, the way the animatronic interacts with the barrel with flame is very clever!

This video however, is terrible. If you stop it at the right time it's completely out of order. It appears as soon as your car comes into the ride you are approached by one of the first giant screens.

My only gripes with this so far is that the animation looks meh and one of the screens is so tiny, I'm not exactly sure if it's supposed to be or its supposed to be some sort of ally. I'll have to see it in a real PoV. None the less, this ride looks awesome! I'm very impressed so far!

The physical sets are looking rather good! But yeah, the video is meh with all the CGI effects and editing... Whatever, it's a nice first glance in condition.

The Joker is really impressive, and the blast with the barrel is amazing, really! I also noticed strobe lights in the vehicle, so I think we can expect some 4D effects, which is excellent. The GCI and screens won't be on par with Spidey/Transformer (still can't tell if there is squinching or not) but the overall experience might be just as fun - and I think that's their goal.

But, but... What is happening there? Why is the vehicle doing a 360° to face a bland wall while there is this awesome animatronic behind your back?!

coaster.jpg.4dcee7d85c2042bd9f2475680df0327a.jpg

And I don't know if these will be the real one, but the 3D glasses are looking really cool!

The physical sets are looking rather good! But yeah, the video is meh with all the CGI effects and editing... Whatever, it's a nice first glance in condition.

The Joker is really impressive, and the blast with the barrel is amazing, really! I also noticed strobe lights in the vehicle, so I think we can expect some 4D effects, which is excellent. The GCI and screens won't be on par with Spidey/Transformer (still can't tell if there is squinching or not) but the overall experience might be just as fun - and I think that's their goal.

But, but... What is happening there? Why is the vehicle doing a 360° to face a bland wall while there is this awesome animatronic behind your back?!

[attachment=0]coaster.jpg[/attachment]

And I don't know if these will be the real one, but the 3D glasses are looking really cool!

I suspect that the CGI effects shown in this video are a combination of the actual ride animation and animation done for this video. It really doesn't show all that much of the "screens" portion of the ride. I'm thinking that the actual ride experience will be far better than what is shown here with regard to the animation.

Trip Report:

One question...Is this park ever not busy? I was there last Friday and yesterday and it was a madhouse. I can't even imagine what it was like on Saturday and Sunday. I bought a platinum flash pass Friday, but a lot of the rides were not running. Titan was down all day and some of the rides that were usually on the flash pass were not on the flash pass, like Runaway Mountain. I couldn't understand why they took that ride off. The Oil Derrick was shut down all day due to "weather" but it was sunshine all day so that made no sense. I did like the rides there, most the coasters were good. New Texas Giant is probably in my top 3 of favorite rides now, it's just an amazing ride. I rode it 12 times...I was definitely getting my money's worth on that ride alone. I will have to say, the operations at this park is horrible. They didn't even open the flash pass until nearly 1pm and had one person operating it, there was a line to the front gate. We got there when the park opened, and no rides were running, no shops were open, and no food was being served. We basically walked around the park for an hour before they opened something. I can't believe I've ever been to a park that didn't have anything open when it opened. I believe Monday was more crowded than Friday, but I was only there to ride Titan and leave. Titan is all about the forces. It's helix happy. Didn't really enjoy it as much as I had hoped too. I had fun at SFOT, but some parts of it was disappointing. But overall, a good experience. It'll be nice to go back when they open this...

1079740861_20150515_141540(2).thumb.jpg.8cbedb74a2e04b0ca059907ea5b948b4.jpg

And here it is:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

This ride has exceeded my expectations, this ride looks so great! I'm shocked that this is a Six Flags attraction. It is on caliber with Spiderman and Transformers. The lighting really sells this ride. Also, the animation looks far better in this video. There seems to be a great balance between watching and playing. Screen transitions appear smooth for all of the scenes except for the last two. Either way, I'm impressed! Hope this gets installed at Great Adventure because i'd definitely make a trip just to go ride these! This is great for Six Flags, because not only with they have amazing coasters, but an amazing dark ride as well.

This looks great! I don't know if this makes since to anybody else but to me it seems to have more of a Dark Ride feel to it rather than Knott's new Voyage to the Iron Reef which feels more like a giant video game. I guess it's because this has more physical sets. Oh well....

Two thumbs up Six Flags!

The Oil Derrick was shut down all day due to "weather" but it was sunshine all day so that made no sense.

Was it windy? They shut it down for wind all the time.

Very excited for Justice League! I'm glad they made this investment; I visited Universal Studios last summer and loved all of their dark rides, so I'm excited to see how this compares.

Wow. Is this thing really in a Six Flags?

There are some great moments, the animatronics looks excellent and the vehicle moves like a charm. The lighting is really cool, that's a relief for me.

I love the practical effects, the Musion Lex Luthor, the mist screen, the fire...

Actually my only grip is the pacing of the ride, killed by the interactivity. Contemplative part - Stops - Pew pew sequence - Contemplative part - Stops - Pew pew sequence, etc. It might have been better to have physical targets.

The last big screens lack some transitions too, and the CGI is a bit too dated - I don't think there is squinching involved (could be wrong, though, as the vehicle always stops in front of the screens).

In the end, this is really a big win, way better than the Cedar Fair attemp to dark-rides. It's really action-packed, easily re-rideable, seems like a lot of fun, with also some actual physical scenes to remember (It's more striking than anything you see through a screen).

So, for me, it's not quite up on par with Spidey, scaling-wise, storyline-wise, artistically-wise and pacing-wise, but I can understand those who will prefer this over the others.

In all honesty I don't think Dinsey or Universal are in the slightest bit concerned.

Agreed. This is a huge win for Six Flags, but this was never going to be as great as a Disney/Universal attraction. All I wanted was it to be pretty close, and I think it succeeded there.