TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

From my experience at the park this weekend, it's no wonder I often don't go for long periods of time. Does anyone know just what is up with dispatch times? Often there would be a half dozen or more employees just standing around as a station full of people look on, and apparently a phone call needs to be made or received before dispatching each and every train. The only team that was somewhat on point was Shockwave, and I think I enjoyed my ride on it the most partly for that reason. For Titan and Texas Giant it seemed like 3 mins was the absolute best interval one could hope for, with 5-7+ being more likely. Titan's station is an exceptional farce as there's a large digital timer that counts down from 60 seconds...most of the time they don't even open the gates until this timer has expired. It hasn't always been this way, but it seems the park doesn't need to be incredibly busy for exorbitant waits.

good news... is WAS a school holiday. Most Districts are taking it as a bad weather make up day. The Park may not be as crowded as expected.

They may not be slammed, but I wouldn't count on it being slow by any means. Fort Worth and Dallas are in school, but Arlington and a whole handful of other suburban districts are still out.

Justice League is slated to open late may

bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/six-flags-justice-ride-to-open-in-late-may.html/

Justice League: Battle for Metropolis, the newest high-tech ride at Six Flags Over Texas, is set to open in late May.

Park president Steve Martindale hosted a media tour Wednesday of the still-under construction ride, which will feature animatronic characters licensed from Warner Bros, and villains and heroes displayed on wall-size video screens.

During the 3 minute 20 second ride, park guests will be recruited to rescue DC Comics characters Super Girl and the Green Lantern from The Joker and Lex Luther. Guests ride in six-person cars that tilt and spin 360 degrees.

Riders will wear 3D glasses and ‘shoot’ stun blaster weapons designed to appeal to gamers.

Martindale declined to release information on the cost of the ride, but said it’s comparable to building a new roller-coaster.

Over the next several weeks workers will finish construction of the waiting area outside of the ride, which is housed in a 17,000 square foot building that was formerly Adventure Theater

... aaand a video of Cyborg and Joker in action!

At the moment, it looks kind of... bare and soulless to be honest. BUT, when everything will be in place, and more importantly when the lights will be in show mode, it'll be awesome. Those sets are huge!

Same. The press release stated

First-of-its-kind, fully programmable, multi-DOF (degree-of-freedom) vehicles that will transport guests through all the exciting twists and turns designed by Oceaneering.

So apparently that means the vehicles spin and spew while connected to a track. They aren't listed on oceaneering's website as of yet.

Yep, just like Spiderman, DarKastle and the others. The "multi-DOF" refers to the motion platform, not the (lack of) track.

They originally wanted a trackless ride, but the sudden starts and stops, plus the on-board audio, required too much power for a battery to handle. They choose to have a track instead. Source: Someone in this topic (or the other one for JLBFM).

Trackless vehicles wouldn't have added anything to the overall experience. It would've been a waste of money.

The ride is really shaping up to be just as good as dark rides you'd see at Disney/Universal, which is something I never thought I'd say about a Six Flags attraction.

I'm excited that SF invested in these dark rides however I'm curious to see what they will look like in 2-3 years.

A worker at SFSTL (HWFan, I believe) answered this question in that forum. The park president at SFSTL said that the chain is investing too much money in these rides to let them go to waste. They want these to look amazing for years to come. I know SFSTL did all they could to maintain Scooby, but that ride was never intended to last for so long. JLBFM should be much easier to maintain.

A worker at SFSTL (HWFan, I believe) answered this question in that forum. The park president at SFSTL said that the chain is investing too much money in these rides to let them go to waste. They want these to look amazing for years to come. I know SFSTL did all they could to maintain Scooby, but that ride was never intended to last for so long. JLBFM should be much easier to maintain.

Glad to hear. Hope it holds true.

Glad to hear. Hope it holds true.

According to HWFan, SFSTL is referring to JLBFM as "our hyper coaster". At least for SFSTL, this ride is a HUGE deal. Hopefully it'll be the same for SFOT (even though you guys actually do have a hyper coaster....and NTAG....)

I still haven't figured out what they are promoting this one as other than 'new interactive dark ride'. There is a ton of signage in the park for it and a bat signal outside of the park, mentions in the park newsletter, but outside of the park I haven't seen much promotion at all. In some of the ride stations they will ask if people know about it, and the answers are usually mixed. I hope this does well, it was needed to balance out the attractions list.

Un-related: I took a spin on Yosemite Sams the other day, several scenes were dormant in either anamatronic motions, sounds, or effects. Hopefully they will give this attraction a much needed makeover soon (it smells like a moldy 70's basement) and not neglect JL:B4M

Yeah Yosemite is in the worst shape I've ever seen it in. Not only were the geysers not working, there wasn't even any water around them. I could audibly hear Daffy's mouth flapping in one of the scenes, and it was louder than his audio! Maybe the Sallie Corp. could give it some TLC after they wrap up Justice League? At least a man can dream eh?

On a side note, I wonder how the long-term licensing deals work out for rides like Justice League. I remember Tony Hawk needing to be abruptly de-branded into Pandemonium when they cancelled the licensing agreement. I would think for a ride like this they'd have something way more permanent since losing the rights to the characters would essentially destroy the ride.

Un-related: I took a spin on Yosemite Sams the other day, several scenes were dormant in either anamatronic motions, sounds, or effects. Hopefully they will give this attraction a much needed makeover soon (it smells like a moldy 70's basement) and not neglect JL:B4M

Yeah, it smelled like that a few years ago when I last visited the park, but at least the animatronics were mostly working. I hope they give this ride some attention soon. It's pretty good.

On a side note, I wonder how the long-term licensing deals work out for rides like Justice League. I remember Tony Hawk needing to be abruptly de-branded into Pandemonium when they cancelled the licensing agreement. I would think for a ride like this they'd have something way more permanent since losing the rights to the characters would essentially destroy the ride.

There are some articles out there if you google it but basically Six Flags pays WB for DC SuperHeroes and Bugs Bunny character rights. It's a long term deal rumored till 2028 when it will be renegotiated. That would cost to much to rebrand all of their rides so im sure they will renegotiate the deal for many years to come.

Yeah Yosemite is in the worst shape I've ever seen it in. Not only were the geysers not working, there wasn't even any water around them. I could audibly hear Daffy's mouth flapping in one of the scenes, and it was louder than his audio! Maybe the Sallie Corp. could give it some TLC after they wrap up Justice League? At least a man can dream eh?

The DC Comics licence isn't going anywhere. They've had it over 20 years and it's mutually profitable for both companies. Honestly there's no need to worry.

Battle For Metropolis is looking awesome! Obviously the interior of the ride will look much more impressive when the lighting is in place, but it has a solid foundation. And the animatronics look incredible, especially Cyborg! I'm really looking forward to this ride more than any of the coasters coming this year (with the exception of Wicked Cyclone)! I hope it's a hit and makes it's way to other parks in the chain. It's about damn time Six Flags did something that actually utilizes the DC partnership. Don't get me wrong I love all the Batman and Superman rides out there but they could have been themed to just about anything and still feel the same. This attraction however does justice (no pun intended) to such important IP's! There's finally a contender to the excellent Marvel attractions like Spiderman at IOA.

I still haven't figured out what they are promoting this one as other than 'new interactive dark ride'. There is a ton of signage in the park for it and a bat signal outside of the park, mentions in the park newsletter, but outside of the park I haven't seen much promotion at all. In some of the ride stations they will ask if people know about it, and the answers are usually mixed. I hope this does well, it was needed to balance out the attractions list.

Now this is completely speculation as I know nothing about SFOT's marketing team or strategy, but with the chance of delay even higher with prototype rides (Sally & the companies involved are the ones who used the word prototype, even though it may not seem that way looking at TF & SM @ Universal), it is sometimes best to wait until the ride opens or is close to opening too keep from just disappointing people. SFSL marketing is just starting to really kick off now it seems, based on the TV/radio commercials. SF is going to market the ride like crazy, especially with the great merchandising opportunities it brings.

Also, just to comment on the Warner Bros. (who do the DC and Loony Tunes with SF) licensing question, Six Flags is the main thing keeping the Loony Tunes brand alive. Pair that with the countless number of super hero movies coming up and more Marvel characters entering theme parks around the globe, Six Flags is extremely important to Warner Brothers. A non-renewal of any licensing with WB would be a lose-lose situation....unlike the termination of the Tony Hawk & Evel Kinevel contracts that were dropped, for the better, a few years ago.

good news... is WAS a school holiday. Most Districts are taking it as a bad weather make up day. The Park may not be as crowded as expected.

They may not be slammed, but I wouldn't count on it being slow by any means. Fort Worth and Dallas are in school, but Arlington and a whole handful of other suburban districts are still out.

You win this time, realist! (It was pretty crowded. I didn't bother with any of the signature rides. Oh well.)