TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Public Service Announcement:

Due to anticipated inclement weather, Six Flags Over Texas will be CLOSED January 1, 2015.

At this point the park is still scheduled to be open on January 2, however I would expect that to change as the current forecast is a high of 41 with 80% chance of rain. Sunday is also iffy with a high of 37. Keep in mind the major coasters need at least 42 to open most other rides 38-40 to open. So it would appear Saturday might be the last operating day of the year.

Some B&M parts can be used and I know Premier manufacturers parts for coasters from other manufactures so they might be making parts for Giovanola coasters as well.

You would be correct sir, from my understanding B&M has a hand in these Giovanola coasters since, after all, it is Bolliger and Mabillard's track design. Giovanola kept their design even after they went and formed their own company.

*Sigh* I wish someone at Six Flags Corp would inform the many investors of our park that we should build a second station for Titan, a loading and unloading...I've always wondered why more rides aren't built with this intention on purpose.

*Sigh* I wish someone at Six Flags Corp would inform the many investors of our park that we should build a second station for Titan, a loading and unloading...I've always wondered why more rides aren't built with this intention on purpose.

Because it takes more staff, which can be hard to find and more importantly expensive.

New Texas Giant - Long line, kind of slow moving. Really fun. But after riding Iron Rattler, it is not as impressive as it used to be.
Interesting... I felt the complete opposite about these two coasters. Having rode NTG hundreds of times by the time I got a chance to ride Iron Rattler... I found Iron Rattler to be not nearly as impressive as NTG. That's just my experience though. Sad to hear you only got to ride 3 things on your visit. Hope you still managed to have fun!

New Texas Giant - Long line, kind of slow moving. Really fun. But after riding Iron Rattler, it is not as impressive as it used to be.
Interesting... I felt the complete opposite about these two coasters. Having rode NTAG hundreds of times by the time I got a chance to ride Iron Rattler... I found Iron Rattler to be not nearly as impressive as NTAG. That's just my experience though. Sad to hear you only got to ride 3 things on your visit. Hope you still managed to have fun!

Well, Iron Rattler is much faster and taller. The drop on New Texas Giant isn't quite as good as the drop on Iron Rattler and it doesn't have a zero g roll. However, New Texas Giant is way longer, which I don't really care for. I really love the drop and the roll on Iron Rattler. I don't really mind how short it is. But that is just my opinion.

Well, Iron Rattler is much faster and taller. The drop on New Texas Giant isn't quite as good as the drop on Iron Rattler and it doesn't have a zero g roll. However, New Texas Giant is way longer, which I don't really care for. I really love the drop and the roll on Iron Rattler. I don't really mind how short it is. But that is just my opinion.
While IRat may be faster and taller I found the bit "on the canyon wall" to be a bit slow, and boring and the layout was so short compared to NTG. But again, just my opinion. Not trying to start an opinion war here.
You rode NTAG when it was cold which scrubs about 10mph off' date=' ride again when it's in the 80s and OMFG[/quote'] QFT. A nice warm July day and NTG rips through the track. It is an amazing ride.

Because it takes more staff, which can be hard to find and more importantly expensive.

Yes, but on the other end of the spectrum, would you rather have the people in line getting annoyed by the already slow operations and not buying anything? Or wandering around the park with all the smells of foods and lights of a gift shop? It only takes one employee to be in a second station to make sure unloading happens, this is how Cedar Point does it with Millennium Force, it works very well.

You rode NTAG when it was cold which scrubs about 10mph off, ride again when it's in the 80s and OMFG

Indeed. The most memorable ride I've ever had on NTAG was on a warm, late summer day. It was incredibly fast, and considerably more intense than the way that it runs in the winter.

Sorry folks, parks closed for the season. Moose out front shoulda told ya. Come back Feb 28th.

I don't say this lightly, but the last two months have seen a dramatic increase in operational positivity. The front gate has been fully staffed and more importantly, friendly! Same can be said for ride operations, friendlier staff and quicker dispatching. The Shockwave crew is back to their old friendly self as is the Judge Roy crew. All in all the park many have seen decline operationally over the last two seasons is on the upswing. Oh, and Giant hasn't been stacking of late, same with Titan.

Let's hope the 2015 season continues this trend.

image.thumb.jpg.75e4c0d0b0c095c1e5d1a30b73e271a4.jpg

On my last 2 trips this season (early August and early December), the operations never seemed as bad as a lot of reports suggested. Sure there were issues here and there, but it was positive overall. I also hope the trend continues. There are good people running things at the park. They are just hamstrung sometimes by tight corporate micromanagement and a highly competitive employment market in the D/FW area. I can tell you from personal experience: it's tough finding good part-time (and even low end full-time) help right now.

Because building unloading platform on the transfer track isn't a good idea?

Yes, but on the other end of the spectrum, would you rather have the people in line getting annoyed by the already slow operations and not buying anything? Or wandering around the park with all the smells of foods and lights of a gift shop? It only takes one employee to be in a second station to make sure unloading happens, this is how Cedar Point does it with Millennium Force, it works very well.

This option is available if the client (SF Corp) requests it! SF doesn't request coasters be built with separate unloading platform. Efficiency is not SF's game.

^ Rumors. It will re-open as it was once construction on JL:B4M allows.

As far as the second station for unload, in the grand scheme of how many coasters that are out there, there are few built with an unload station.

Off the top of my head:

King da Ka

Manata California

Runaway Mountain

Top Thrill

Mill Force

Non Dueling Dragons

Magic Carpeted Spinning Mice/Wild Mice/Gerstlauer Spinners

So it's really not just a Six Flags thing, its just done where it makes sense to do so, land space, costs, projected increased operational capacity, etc.

If you haven't been following TPR on twitter, you missed out on last weeks progress on Justice League: Battle for Metropolis! Crews have been busy pouring concrete, clearing out the old Rockin' Rocket, putting up walls, and finishing off the addition to the ride building.

Do you have what it takes to save Metropolis?

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

dsc_0567.jpg.86ffd37cabd7bbbe4e10725da85a0191.jpg

Crews were installing the final forms needed to complete the front of building expansion.

dsc_0568.jpg.ac1732ac22b2cc3f23a0a7a33c899ec5.jpg

The is the load platform.

dsc_0569_1.jpg.f69c4ea21789c01f2e98e6936743dfe7.jpg

Inside the building walls are going up that will separate the various scenes

dsc_0576.jpg.656133bdcfc90b5fd7022e0da48884b6.jpg

This is the building expansion that sits above the reservoir pond for Roaring Rapid. As you can see interior construction is moving right along.

Roaring Rapids will re-open in 2015 once construction is complete.

image_10122.jpg.7164fcd65d8b3f26ec759d8ca22a69d8.jpg

The carcass of Rockin' Rocket has been removed.

image_10123.jpg.3e8a2a826b6e0fd7e65839df3037af2c.jpg

By the construction lights is the ride unload platform. It's location and the need for a queue made it necessary for the Rocket to meet it's maker.

image_10124.jpg.73fb3f9aed9e65361681c3029a068d11.jpg

But really, is anyone truly complaining? Between Sally, Oceaneering, Alterface, and Pure Imagination, JL:B4M promises to be the best dark ride built to date.

image_10125.jpg.8b1a46727204d64faacae05f5dd78af2.jpg

image_10126.jpg.5cdeee3751651ab466ca77f3bcfbb1f3.jpg

You can see here that walls are going up

image_10127.jpg.0925039d8b46828f77fad3c66b6b7608.jpg

3D is on it's way.

image_10129.jpg.16e12e8ae16a37d2a00abb9d12fc65fe.jpg

The crews are working hard to ensure the ride opens as scheduled this spring.

image_10130.thumb.jpg.b7912d76b4bef7f4318fb8a71a3cb813.jpg

Finally from the back, the building addition is just about closed in.

news_battleformetropolisstl.jpg.bb5464305e44bbb1ec54231f9367a2bd.jpg

In no time at all we will be battling Lex Luther and The Joker to save Metropolis!

Who's as excited as we are?!

Some photos courtesy of Six Flags over Texas

^ For Titan's case, it is nearly impossible. They can't build an unload platform on transfer track or the main brake. One possible solution could be turning the turn before lift hill into loading platform.

Yeah, sorry I didn't specify, that was my thought as well, just extend out the entrance and what is the loading platform can become the exit. It was only a thought is all for some fun If you'd like another thought to ponder, I've always thought they could totally revamp the entrance. I would like to see a permanent entrance by Titan or that temporary thing they build sometimes by La Vibora to actually become a thing. Then just re-do the whole entrance area of the park and the entrance territory to be more spacious, could maybe a fit a new ride if they tried hard enough.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I had always heard that none of the rides added in 2006 came from Astroworld. I remember being told that SFOT's looping starship came from SFOG. I'm pretty sure theirs (like AW's) was removed after the 2005 season, so it's certainly possible that one ended up in Arlington.