TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Good insight on that. I've always wondered about SFOT policies on weather because I've ridden Titan many times when it was just a few degrees above freezing...stupid idea...but still fun. I never really noticed it slowing down too much. I was at Cedar Point in September and around 10pm it cooled off and rained for an hour while in line for Millennium Force. Everyone thought the night was over, but they actually fired that thing back up! I wish more parks were like Cedar Point and Great Adventure in terms of weather. I can understand safety, but a few months back I watched ride ops test one train on NTAG 12 times......at Cedar Point in line for Dragster, one of the trains had an issue, they just pulled it off and put the new one on without testing it! It was my first trip there so I was amazed at the differences between Six Flags and Cedar Fair.

Good insight on that. I've always wondered about SFOT policies on weather because I've ridden Titan many times when it was just a few degrees above freezing...stupid idea...but still fun. I never really noticed it slowing down too much. I was at Cedar Point in September and around 10pm it cooled off and rained for an hour while in line for Millennium Force. Everyone thought the night was over, but they actually fired that thing back up! I wish more parks were like Cedar Point and Great Adventure in terms of weather. I can understand safety, but a few months back I watched ride ops test one train on NTAG 12 times......at Cedar Point in line for Dragster, one of the trains had an issue, they just pulled it off and put the new one on without testing it! It was my first trip there so I was amazed at the differences between Six Flags and Cedar Fair.

That train was probably tested earlier in the morning and then pulled off when the ride opened. Parks do that all the time to ensure that if a train gets swapped or one gets added, no additional testing needs to take place in order to limit downtime.

6th wouldn't make much of a difference thus why they run 5. Same with Screamin @ DCA. It's more efficient with 5 trains VS 6.

Running 6 trains puts more stress on the launch drive as you have a train launching every 36 seconds.

^ The Red train was in the accident but has been back but I believe they took it off again. Probably won't be back till after the court stuff. It's Six Flags though, I doubt we will ever see them run 3 trains again. Even before the accident, they only ran two.

Here's the deal. I know because I have many resources at the park because I grew up here. This is going to fall on Six Flags shoulders. Unless their lawyers are incredible. The hydraulic device that keeps the restraint system in place did not fail, even if it did, it has 2 back up systems to keep it in place. The odds of that are very extreme obviously. The ride ops were actually told to try and pin large size riders in because of the sue happy society of fat people feeling shammed at theme parks. The woman literally slipped out like a bar of soap because of her massive girth against the restraint and designed air time hills. The restraint returned to the station STILL locked in it's place because it never malfunctioned, this was proven. It's unfortunate what happened, but it's going to fall to Six Flags for falling to public and social media pressure. Ever since the accident, I've ridden the ride many times and felt perfectly safe before and after the accident. I've also seen a ZERO tolerance policy on if you're too fat to ride, you're not riding. So all the clues are there to exactly what happened for the public to see if you're not in the know. Their just now allowed to openly speak publicly and say "She was too big to ride." Because why? You'll hear cries and screams of discrimination and an interview of someone drinking their 6th Coke of the day from a Mega Gulp on why they think it's discrimination.

Gerstlauer's gonna be at least partially at fault for this. If it gave a green light, then the restraint failed.

^ No restraint can detect the rider's body shape nowadays! The green light goes on as long as the restraint touches the maximum lock position. Making sure the riders are properly locked is the ride operator's job. A 60-pound kid whose height just reached 48' would most likely to fall out if the restraint is at the maximum lock position.

You can go on a coaster that uses lights to indicate the restraints' position and try it out yourself. It's not that hard to understand. Gerstlauer did nothing wrong on this.

^ The Red train was in the accident but has been back but I believe they took it off again. Probably won't be back till after the court stuff. It's Six Flags though, I doubt we will ever see them run 3 trains again. Even before the accident, they only ran two.

Red train has been back in action since late September. Black train has disappeared to the maintenance place, I assume. We rode red train last time we were there. It was when red train appeared that they shortened the trains. Not sure if just a coincidence or not.

Red train has been back in action since late September. Black train has disappeared to the maintenance place, I assume. We rode red train last time we were there. It was when red train appeared that they shortened the trains. Not sure if just a coincidence or not.

Last time I was at the park (in October) the red train was in action. In fact, there was a lady who refused to ride it, when it came up to her turn. Superstitious, it appeared. So, in typical SixFlags efficiency, instead of the people behind that couple hopping in, they ran the train with that row empty. (the line was about an hour or so, maybe towards 90 minutes)

^^^If the lady didn't raise the issue until the train had already stopped in the station, maybe already loaded a few guests, then I can understand sending it empty. Some parks have policies such as not having operators check restraints until gates are closed, not re-opening gates, etc. It's actually very possible that if the issue of not wanting to ride red train wasn't brought up until the very last second, then the best decision was to send it empty and have ONE row of riders wait a few extra seconds for the next train, instead of making EVERYONE in line wait for them to find riders to fill the row, possibly re-opening gates, etc., before sending the train. That doesn't get maximum efficiency, but it increases it as much as possible in a capacity-harming situation. In a perfect world, the lady would have brought the issue up earlier and found 2 riders to take her place instead. But this isn't a perfect world.

^^^If the lady didn't raise the issue until the train had already stopped in the station, maybe already loaded a few guests, then I can understand sending it empty. Some parks have policies such as not having operators check restraints until gates are closed, not re-opening gates, etc. It's actually very possible that if the issue of not wanting to ride red train wasn't brought up until the very last second, then the best decision was to send it empty and have ONE row of riders wait a few extra seconds for the next train, instead of making EVERYONE in line wait for them to find riders to fill the row, possibly re-opening gates, etc., before sending the train. That doesn't get maximum efficiency, but it increases it as much as possible in a capacity-harming situation. In a perfect world, the lady would have brought the issue up earlier and found 2 riders to take her place instead. But this isn't a perfect world.

Similar to when a large party wants to ride together. Instead of paying attention to how many people are in the cue and asking someone behind if they want to move ahead before the gates open, they stand there and let it go empty. If you are paying attention, you know pretty soon after entering the cue which color train you are going to be on. It is no less annoying to someone that has been waiting an hour plus already to get behind someone doing that.

I actually got an extra ride on it one night during ERT. I had just gotten off and was waiting in the chicken coop for my kids who were boarding. A lady had a friend back out on her and got all freaked out because it was nighttime and thought the dead lady's ghost was out there. So I offered to ride with her and got another ride in. That was my 11th back to back ride that night. Nobody really in the station waiting. It wasn't a big deal.

The location on the application for the observation wheel is on the grounds of the convention center near the Rangers ballpark. This is at least the 3rd proposal for a giant observation wheel in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. I'm not holding my breath at this point.

She didn't say anything until the red train pulled up, emptied, and the gates opened. She balked at that moment. I wouldn't be surprised if the ops really even noticed the situation until they were doing restraint checks. It just bugs me that her ride partner (who was trying to convince her to get on) didn't invite the party behind them to skip. *shrug* people be crazy