TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I haven't tried to go to non-summer dates at SFOT since I was a kid, but I don't feel satiated with the number of summer visits I was able to take this year. What are the crowds like for September, Frightfest and Holiday? Any weekends better than others? What isn't open during those times?

I understand that not every ride can be a thrill ride, but it'd be awesome if Justice League would incorporate some spinning elements like Men in Black, Cat in the Hat, Spiderman, Forbidden Journey...other dark rides, or the jerkiness and excitement of Toy Story Mania. Either way, probably any indoor ride at SFoT is a win and if it's done well at all then I'll probably visit the ride more than once.

The press release mentions the vehicles have the ability to spin 360 degrees.

My main fear is that families that have visited Disney and Universal parks will ride this and then shrug it off as nothing special. At the same time, I think those of us here realize that this is actually something quite special for Six Flags and since SFoT is the Six Flags park I visit the most - I'm pretty excited for Justice League!

Agreed. It obviously won't reach Universa/Disney standards but it certainly looks like a step up for Six Flags.

^I doubt that people will leap to comparisons between Six Flags' new dark ride and those at Universal or Disney. That being said, Sally dark rides have been getting more sophisticated lately; they've come a long way from Boo Blasters.

Has anyone ever gotten a legit answer to "why" not the last row? I had forgotten about that silliness during a recent solo trip to SFOT, and got called out by the ride op. I was so surprised, that I nearly lost my shit. Course it's not his fault, so yelling at him about some stupid rule is pointless, but I had to remind myself of that haha

Sadly, I do not have an answer. I would imagine for the same reasons AC at BGW won't let quick queue in the front row (longer lines, more desirable seat).

Also, I am planning a trip to SFOT in the near future. It will be on a weekend before their Halloween event, and I will be there for the evening. Any recommendations on what to ride (maybe even specific rows on NTAG, Titan)? Any hidden gems that are surprisingly good? There are several ways to go about the park, which is the best? Finally, which rides have single rider lines? I know this is a mouthful, but any help is appreciated.

I would go left at the entrance to the Park. LaVorba, Titan and NTAG- keeping going clockwise around the park. In the middle of the Park is Runaway Mountain. If there is a sleeper at SFOT Runaway Mountain is it. Shockwave is kind of by itself by the Big Orange Tower. Don't miss it- it is a classic. The weather is cooling down and you should not encounter crowds until Fright Fest. Please enjoy yourself!

Going on Sept 27th. That's the first night of the fright fest. Would the flash pass be needed? Standard or gold? (Platinum is a little to much for me)

Does the flash pass work on any of the fright fest haunted houses? Last but not least, is anything closed during the fright fest or do they keep all the rides open? Thanks!

I bet we get a Larson Looper and Sky Screamer backwards next year and I'm not even kidding.

Sky Screamer has a reverse program already.

If we're lucky, though I don't think we are because Six Flags is spending tons on this new ride, we could get that rumored X-Flight clone.

My dream is an Intamin Giga coaster. Sadly. Never. Gonna. Happen.

I'd love to see a photo update of this park (for any regulars that may make it by).

What's the status on the strip mall on the corner? Has that been torn down yet? That was so strange to me (when I went a couple of years back).

Status: Sitting and rotting. It will probably get demolished next summer for whatever comes in 2016. If anything comes in 2016. A few people have noticed (Including myself) that an X-Flight fits perfectly in that spot. Hoping whatever comes has major theming and Gotham gets an over-hall.

I'd love to see a photo update of this park (for any regulars that may make it by).

What's the status on the strip mall on the corner? Has that been torn down yet? That was so strange to me (when I went a couple of years back).

Status: Sitting and rotting. It will probably get demolished next summer for whatever comes in 2016. If anything comes in 2016. A few people have noticed (Including myself) that an X-Flight fits perfectly in that spot. Hoping whatever comes has major theming and Gotham gets an over-hall.

I know it's a pipe-dream, but a Texan version of X2 would make me so happy...

I doubt Six Flags will spend about $20 million on an X Flight clone. It isn't even that good of a ride.

I doubt Six Flags will spend about $20 million on an X Flight clone. It isn't even that good of a ride.

Parks don't make decisions based on how rides perform in the Mitch Hawker poll... they make decisions based on what coasters are most popular with their guests and what they think will give them the best return on their investment. Wingriders seem to be very popular with the majority of guests.

Parks don't make decisions based on how rides perform in the Mitch Hawker poll... they make decisions based on what coasters are most popular with their guests and what they think will give them the best return on their investment. Wingriders seem to be very popular with the majority of guests.

Even then, I don't think Six Flags will be buying a B&M in the near future. But, I have no clue.

Even then, I don't think Six Flags will be buying a B&M in the near future. But, I have no clue.

I was praying for a Wing Coaster at the announcement, we are really over due for a new thrill, while I get the New Texas Giant, that had to be done, we haven't had a true major roller coaster since 2001...

I was praying for a Wing Coaster at the announcement, we are really over due for a new thrill, while I get the New Texas Giant, that had to be done, we haven't had a true major roller coaster since 2001...

No, it did not have to be done. Whether you agree or not it's a new coaster and a great improvement to the park that many other Six Flags park's would love to have over their additions the past 3 years. And many Six Flags could really use a quality dark ride, so SFoT is really ahead of the game. Except for the horrible operations in recent years.

No, it did not have to be done. Whether you agree or not it's a new coaster and a great improvement to the park that many other Six Flags park's would love to have over their additions the past 3 years. And many Six Flags could really use a quality dark ride, so SFoT is really ahead of the game. Except for the horrible operations in recent years.

Horrible operations? I'd partially agree with specific rides. Titan and Batman have had sluggish operations for the past few years. Nothing much horrible. It is though like they're running one train on those rides as by the time they even start loading the second train gets back. Titan has been doing better though.

I personally enjoyed the old Texas Giant, but I know for the sake of it's future and not having to hear people complain that it was gonna have to get that RMC treatment. Yes, we could use a good dark ride, which we'll be getting. I guess I'm just biased as I'm there for good flat rides and roller coasters. That's one thing our park also lacks is some good flat rides. The operations though...oy...I'm afraid I agree, I constantly get annoyed with the bad jokes and the over 3 minutes between train dispatches.

Somewhat of a trip report slash Fright Fest info for you guys.

Saturday (9/27)

First day of Fright Fest was packed as I suspected. The park looked jammed during the day by the time we showed up at around 6. But those people just got replaced by people coming in. I would be guessing that this will be typical of all Fright Fest Saturdays. First ride knocked out was the SkyScreamer. Not a terrible ride especially when you get knocked around by the wind up top. We spent about an hour in line starting from under the shelter. I would say this is a one time thing really to say I did it. Not much to say at the mine train besides a short line, of course these things are always awesome in the dark. Took the train to get to the other side of the park. Again nothing to note besides the fact they were running one train. Next we knocked out the Texas Giant. Spoiler alert if you have ridden the Rattler then you may be disappointed in the Giant if you expecting the same type ride. I would (and did) ride it again as long as the line is short but not if it is long. I do appreciate they kept most of the track layout unlike later renovations. Wait time was around 50 from the arrival breaks. Final ride of the night was Titan. It's an under appreciated coaster that doesn't get as much attention as Goliath does despite being longer, faster, and taller. The extra helix before the brake run is a force to be reckoned with. Wait time was about 35 from the middle of the forth switch back before the flash pass cutoff.

Overall, the crowds are thick on the path but ride lines are not to bad. Ride ops to no surprise were very slow most of the time. But everything was running at an acceptable capacity. (i.e. Running multiple trains) If it gives you an idea, we were in the park for just under 4 and half hours and got 4 rides in.

Sunday (9/28)

I did not know what to expect of this day. The parking lot seemed pretty full (and from looking at Titan) and it was. That had no impact in the park as the crowds were somewhat light. All the ride we went on (Titan, Texas Giant, Log Flume, and Shockwave) were at most 15 minutes long. On Titan they let us cut back through the flash pass line because there was no line. La Vibora has the biggest line we wait in at just under 50 minutes, Runaway Mountain was at 20 or so.

Overall, much better, with lighter crowds and less lines, makes for a much better experience.

Final conclusion, as far as I can tell go on Sunday. Even though the park is open much later on Saturday's, you'll probably only average a ride per hour if you are lucky. Side note, if you are worried about getting scared, you can buy a light for $5 that shows that you do not want to be scared. There are also scare zones which are clearly marked with detour options. (I'm guessing the lights probably do not work in these areas since they are clearly labeled.) In fact on Saturday we never saw a scare actor the whole time (did not cross paths with a scare zone anyway) and then on Sunday there were a few at the entrance. (Though one was actually friendly around the kids.)

Let me know if you have any other questions.