TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Personally I don't have time to dig into this more but I'll give someone who does a nice lead...

https://ap.arlingtontx.gov/web/permit/public-search?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=976791&t_selected_propertyrsn=193442

https://ap.arlingtontx.gov/web/permit/public-search?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=996427&t_selected_propertyrsn=193442

http://www.qarch.com/

It appears the same guy who designed Bugs Boomtown is also working on this, Arthur Calcaterra, who back around 2000 worked for Six Flags in Planning and Design.

Just from looking at the footer location it would appear to be nothing more than piers for an addition to the existing building. I heard last week that the giant swing in the sky is coming out. Might as well, they already have one across the street and about 3 more exist in DFW. If it's taking up space and not making money, smart business says get it the hell outta there and put something in to draw a crowd, like a spectacular shooting dark ride...

Edited by chadster

I think Justice League would be a good theme idea too, as a warm up for the movie coming out in 3 years. But that's a bit early for a ride of that theme. I suppose it's possible SFGAdv or SFGAm could be giving up their Batman wild mouse and it could be put into SFOT. Maybe it could even be rethemed a bit to Justice League or Batman Vs. Superman or heck, even Looney Tunes.

After sitting in quarantine since the incident, the red train has been moved to the gantry bay and is being unhitched this morning to be lifted off.

I was wondering when or if red train will come back into action. I have to admit, kind of a creepy thought riding on it.

I am hearing a rumor that they will be opening Batman for ERT for gold pass holders only on Wednesday. Anybody else hear that rumor? And on top of that it is unannounced, so no clue as to what time that will happen, if that is indeed true.

Went to the park and had a pleasant surprise:

we got to "preview" batman backwards! Must say... it was pretty neat but I think I prefer it going forwards more.

Park wasn't terribly crowded. We got there around 6:30. Pretty good day. Mr. Freeze was a long wait. Judging by the amount of rides I saw going I believe they were only running one train.

no red train on giant either. Just the blue and black.

Ps. I wish they'd utilize all 3 towers on superman! One tower ain't gonna cut it lol!

^Get use to it, the budget ax has fallen at this one.

It's a shame really that they now staff based on projected, or actual at times, attendance at the rides. It's almost as if someone goes up and says, "oh look, people are only waiting two cycles to ride, we need to reduce staff or capacity to get that line back up to our normal wait time of 30 minutes."

If you go to any Cedar Fair Park, or even Fun Spot they are always fully staffed at the rides, even if its a down pour or crazy slow day. It only makes good business sense from a customer satisfaction standpoint to keep your customers happy. I can see food and beverage stands cutting back staff based on projected attendance, and even games staff.

I compare what No Flags Over Texas is doing to that of going into a restaurant and seeing all these open tables and being told, I'm sorry, there will be a 20 minute wait. Um, what?!?! No one else is in front of me, and you have all these open tables?!?! Sorry sir, but we just don't have the staff to utilize the capacity we have.

It will catch up to them as attendance slides along with revenues. The NTAG accident itself did not cause people to stop going to the park, the park caused people to stop going with their ridiculous new policies that no other SF's park has put in place. That tells me as someone who has been to all of their parks that this one might not be safe!!! (We know it is, but perception is everything)

^ 2pm to close and all day July 3rd. It was posted in the newsletter.

Yep. Saw it. Newsletter came after I posted. But thanks anyways. We were there. We had already planned to take my 2 boys and a friend each that day, before I found out about it. They each had a free ticket for reading from school, not a season pass. We didn't ride it because they wouldn't allow our guests to go with us. Didn't want to be rude to those boys. We'll just go later.

Yeah it feels like SFoT is going downhill... which is a shame. When we visited last week we saw restaurants being closed nearly 3 hours before the park even closed. Talk about losing revenue... considering we were looking for somewhere to eat. And only one of us had the silly meal pass thingy and he's only been able to use it once.

Dispatch times on Titan and Mr. Freeze have become super slow. I can understand on NTAG considering the incident... but the last few times I've been the employees at Titan seem to drag their feet and just want to talk to one another instead of trying to beat the timer. On our last visit: the second train would wait several minutes on the brake run waiting for the first train to depart. Same situation on Mr. Freeze.

Ps. You could tell the park was flooded where Shockwave and Runaway Mine Train are. When we got into the tunnel on RMT it smelled AWFUL. My friend said they should take one of the misters and just spray Febreeze in there. LOL.

We were there for the last day of the 4th of July event. It was great. Due to the hour wait time in a hot and muggy line cue, we skipped Batman and practically walked on to Freeze. Fine by me. A better ride anyway. We didn't experience the long dispatch times on NTAG and Titan. It isn't at SFFT levels, but not nearly as slow as they were in the beginning of the season. We made it a goal when we got there to be on Titan when the fireworks got going. The ride ops on Titan were busting their butts to get trains dispatched so everyone could do just that. There wasn't many in line, once things got started. We had two trains worth in front if us when we walked up, as the fireworks were going. They hustled it as fast as they could. Our train was delayed because someone wanted to argue about not taking off some hair thing, and someone left their kid to hang on the platform and they had to convince him to stand outside the gate. Then we were off. It was awesome!!! The train behind us only got the tail end. Had they not hustled it so, we'd missed the fireworks.

Which reminds me. I need to send a kudos to the ladies running Shock Wave. They were doing their pre-dispatch sprinkler dance, and just about to send us on our way when the lady running the board saw a little kid (like 3 or 4 at the most), running around on the platform and about to step off onto to the track in the back. He was all over the place and not wanting to listen to the employee. Finally, she was able to get him out the gate and us on our way. I guess his parents were on the other train. Not a good idea to leave your small kid running the platform unattended! Especially if he is the "adventurous" type. The kid on Titan wasn't running around. Just standing by the storage bins. The Shock Wave kid was the exact opposite. These ops aren't babysitters. Had that lady not noticed him, we'd be hearing about another Six Flags fatality, because he'd surely fallen.

Got a survey asking about possible new attractions. They emphasized a lot about an "arctic blast station", "gaming competition", and "flight simulator" attractions (they worded it like virtual reality). I emphasized back that a new coaster or dark ride would be wicked cool.

Anyone else get a survey?

^ I also got the survey which talked about charging stations for phones, a huge play house for everyone and a DJ music festival. I also talked about coasters and dark rides instead. I took it for Fiesta Texas with similar ideas. I do like the idea of charging stations for phones but not as a new attraction.

It will catch up to them as attendance slides along with revenues. The NTAG accident itself did not cause people to stop going to the park, the park caused people to stop going with their ridiculous new policies that no other SF's park has put in place. That tells me as someone who has been to all of their parks that this one might not be safe!!! (We know it is, but perception is everything)

I've been to three Six Flags parks this year (Fiesta Texas, St. Louis, and Great America) , and I've seen similar policies in place at all three to what's been described in this thread with regards to staggered opening/closing times for attractions and revenue centers, closing of attractions, safety procedures, and so on.

Latest in the NTAG death lawsuit against SFoT... Looks like a Gerstlauer exec will be traveling to Houston for a deposition: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/07/10/5962945/german-executive-to-be-questioned.html

So is this lawsuit also the investigation? Or do we officially have a person or group at fault for the accident?

Victim's family has filed suit against a variety of people, including Six Flags and Gerstlauer (not sure if Rocky Mountain is also named).

Meanwhile, Six Flags and Gerstlauer are pointing the finger at each other, but I haven't kept up with it to the point of knowing if they've actually filed any suits against each other.

The latest is Gerstlauer saying they delivered a test seat to SFoT when the ride opened but the park didn't bring it out or use it until the incident. To be honest, I'm not sure that would have actually changed anything as the test seat wouldn't have been mandatory nor does it really tell you anything the actual train's seat doesn't.

Was it ever confirmed that her restraints did "come up" like witness reports claimed? I know people have stated that her body shape wouldn't let the "lap bar" sit on her actual lap, but rather on her stomach.

It's situations like these that I feel like cameras at the stations would help determine/solve things like this. Otherwise it's just a he said/she said and a bunch of finger pointing.

Now that batman backwards is at SFOT I've wondered: what will they do with the chassis once all parks had their namtab? Will they leav it it permanently in one of them?

They'll probably just keep rotating it around the chain.

Was it ever confirmed that her restraints did "come up" like witness reports claimed? I know people have stated that her body shape wouldn't let the "lap bar" sit on her actual lap, but rather on her stomach.

It's situations like these that I feel like cameras at the stations would help determine/solve things like this. Otherwise it's just a he said/she said and a bunch of finger pointing.

Restraints did not come up, her fat roll came over resulting in a gap.

Ride station had cameras. The mcbr now has cameras instead of a person sitting there. A staff reduction method.