TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^Interesting. I thought that due to the number of those backwards chassis they could only do one ride at a time.

Coming this summer! Are you up for the challenge?

The park stated on their Facebook that batman won't start going backwards till summer.

^Still, that would mean that, by then, it won't be at SFMM anymore and I do find that a bit odd.

By the way, the state that it pulls 4Gs. Now is this just a mistake or does it actually pull nearly 1 G less than the forwards version? I mean, I've heard people saying it feels less intense but that would be a massive difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from Six Flags Over Texas. First time there. Not a bad park. Strange policy though for single riders or those in odd number pairs. I not sure if this is new and has been covered but no other Six Flags I was at last year did this.

There seems to be a rule that no single rider can be in the last row of a train. Initially I thought this was the very last row. No it seems that if the first three rows out of 8 are full, a single rider cannot be in row 4.

For instance, I got to SFOT early Saturday. Hit Batman. Maybe 10 or so on the train. Was the only one in row 8. They actually moved 2 people from row 2 back to 8 so I would not be riding by myself. Bizarre, in hindsight there was still an empty seat next to me. On New Texas Giant, I choose the the next to last row. Thinking it was the very last physical row. In this case the physical last row behind me was empty. I had to move with the folks in front of me. They were cool about. It just seems strange. Maybe this is a result from the events of the past year.

Are any of the other parks implementing "No single riders in the last row with people in them" policies ?

Leroy

Saturday was my first visit to the park this season. I experienced the "no single rider in the last row" on Titan. I'm always by myself and had to move. They'll send the train with the last row empty, which makes even less sense. That defeats the insurance excuse stated on a previous post. They don't do that on Goliath (another ride by Giovanola - sp) at Magic Mountain. Besides I like Goliath better than Titan. I think sometimes 6 Flags has lost their minds!

On a positive note, the addition of the small zippered pouches on the rides for cellphones and keys is a nice touch. Although people forget they placed items in there at the end of the ride.

I was there last weekend for several hours on Saturday & Sunday. Shockwave was running great. I didn't experience the single rider issue, but then again, I was there with a work buddy. My major issue was with the horrible dispatch times. Aside from Mr. Freeze, Big Spin, and Judgy, the operations were pathetic. I understand the safety concerns that this park especially is going through. But if that is the case, then they need to double up the station staff to make up for it. Three people on Ntag, Batman and Titan is unacceptable. Batman was averaging about 5 minutes per dispatch, and Ntag and Goliath was around 8. 8 Minutes! That's less than 200 pph. Absolutely horrible on 2 of their most popular attractions. For Christ sakes, they had 5 on La Vibora, and it had a 30 minute wait the whole time I was there.

On a good note, The BBQ place over by Adventure Mountain was some of the best BBQ we had the entire time I have been here in Texass. And the crew was breaking their balls to get it out hot and fast. Kudos guys!

Also, I must give my props to the crew at Tony Hawk (or whatever they're calling it now). The three of them were cooking, and that is one of the lowest capacity rides that exist in the history of rides.

But for the most part, for it being as busy as it was those days, they were way under staffed on the big 4.

Oh six Flags

Doesn't seem like the expected change in 2014 is coming. Probably the biggest quality decline judging from the review of the park these years. I really feel sad to hear about how horrible the park is becoming especially when it's Six Flags' original park and they have some truly amazing coasters.

I was there for a private event Thursday. Overall It was great. Employees very kind and on top of thier job. I did too experience the "no single riders" in the last row. We dodged a fair share of thunderstorms. Shockwave was the first one we rode post the first storm, we were the first ones on, I hopped in the back seat and was quickly made aware I couldn't lol. The longest wait we had was for NTAG. The line was not that long, we waited an hour or more. My GF who did not ride said she saw a train being dispatched every 15 minutes. They had two trains running, I think she exagerated a bit, I must have been to busy running my mouth to time the dispatch, but 15 minutes seems far fetched.I know once I made into the station a few times I saw at least three people on each side checking bars one right after the other. Either way I enjoyed NTAG, even with the seatbelts I got some great air. I did a detailed look at the trains. I still really do not understand how Rosy Esparza was unwedged from the seat and was literally upside down with her feet in the air before she was ejected, The trains and the seats fit like a glove, and I am not super small myself, and I fit just fine. I don't think we will ever fully know the truth. It was an fluke accident and an unfortunate one. I truly feel bad for the family, the ones who witnessed it and the operators that night.

I was there for a private event Thursday. Overall It was great. Employees very kind and on top of thier job. I did too experience the "no single riders" in the last row. We dodged a fair share of thunderstorms. Shockwave was the first one we rode post the first storm, we were the first ones on, I hopped in the back seat and was quickly made aware I couldn't lol. The longest wait we had was for NTAG. The line was not that long, we waited an hour or more. My GF who did not ride said she saw a train being dispatched every 15 minutes. They had two trains running, I think she exagerated a bit, I must have been to busy running my mouth to time the dispatch, but 15 minutes seems far fetched.I know once I made into the station a few times I saw at least three people on each side checking bars one right after the other. Either way I enjoyed NTAG, even with the seatbelts I got some great air. I did a detailed look at the trains. I still really do not understand how Rosy Esparza was unwedged from the seat and was literally upside down with her feet in the air before she was ejected, The trains and the seats fit like a glove, and I am not super small myself, and I fit just fine. I don't think we will ever fully know the truth. It was an fluke accident and an unfortunate one. I truly feel bad for the family, the ones who witnessed it and the operators that night.

We were there when they opened up NTAG, right after the accident. Yes, they were a long dispatch. But, it seemed to me that over time it sped up close to pre-accident dispatch times. Especially during Holiday in the Park. My observation this year has been a lot of dilly dallying on the platform. Attendants taking their time walking around, not just in checking restraints, just over all. No hurry at all. A lot of chit chatting with each other. Another issue I have with the way they do things is a lack of single rider lines. Only a couple of rides have them. I can't tell you how many times you see multiple empty seats on a train I waited 30+ minutes to ride. No lack of people. They don't try to fill em. Nobody sits down, they close the gates and off it goes empty. I've had single riders ask to take the empty seats. Nope, won't do it. Completely inefficient.

My other observation was on Season Pass Holder Appreciation Weekend. PACKED like sardines, but I kinda expected that. I went with a family that had small children and so it was it was mostly flat rides. I could see that the lines for the good rides were 1-2 hour wait times so I didn't go there. I went for the ERT on Freeze and Batman after closing. We get in line for Batman and there were still non-pass holders there from before closing, so I expected to be a good hour. Nope, we booked it through that line!! I don't know what they did different but a line that is typically stagnant, was constantly on the move. We were there about 30 min, and got on and had a great ride! Of course, they did that bs, empty seat thing because they wouldn't listen to people asking to get on. But we moved. Probably the fastest I'd ever been through that line. Freeze was boogying too. It usually is, as long as they are running 2 trains. So, they can move that line when they want to!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The new Wahoo Racer is finally (finally as in I have been waiting with anticipation for this specific slide to go up) going up at Hurricane Harbor. I love the colors so far!

10005848_702388183158772_2869833576714887238_o.jpg

For you who don't know, it will be a 6-lane version of this (without the Aqualoop's):

1779151_811449858881087_32989496_n.jpg

Source

Source

Just what they needed!

ARLINGTON — Her family says Rosemary Ferrand is fortunate to be out of the hospital after a basketball she was carrying at Six Flags Over Texas exploded on Sunday afternoon.

Ferrand was carrying the ball under her arm when it burst unexpectedly.

"They stopped a nearby ride because the explosion was so loud," she said on Monday.

Ferrand has dark bruises on her arm and the side of her chest.

Her son, Brandon Green, said he had just won the basketball as a prize at the amusement park.

"I've never heard of a basketball exploding," he said. "People were running, thinking it was something else. Eventually the paramedics arrived."

Ferand was taken to a local emergency room by ambulance.

Green started recording what happened on his cell phone once the paramedics arrived to help his mom. Ferrand is crying and visibly shaken as staff and other park guests look on.

The family fears other basketballs handed out as prizes over the weekend might also be ready to bust open.

"For a ball to do this to me, just imagine what it could do to a kid," said Ferrand, who was still upset and at times crying during an interview on Monday.

“We take every incident very seriously," Six Flags spokeswoman Sharon Parker said in a telephone interview. "We did an assessment of the other basketballs…this was isolated.”

The family thinks the ball was filled with far too much compressed air.

The park refunded their tickets for the day. Green said he and his mother are hoping for help with medical costs, but that hasn't been finalized yet.

Wow, totally random. With the overwrought reactions for publicity's sake, it actually reads like more like a joke than a true story (though I don't doubt these things can happen, and based on the sources I do believe it).

Yet another reason for us to wish those balls were handed out uninflated...

I feel bad for SFOT at this point. All of the unfortunate things keep on happening at this point. I kind of think of them as the dog that everyone likes cuz its really sweet and all, but then it accidentally bites you, and so suddenly you don't like the dog any more. I have NO idea where that analogy came from but I just feel bad for the park.

More slide parts! These shows what colors the individual pipes will have.

Something really cool I haven't noticed until now is that they seem to be reusing the old supports, for the slides that have been removed.

You can see it in these photos. Pretty clever.

10168200_702388183158772_2869833576714887238_n.jpg

Source

Source