TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

New Developments in the Texas Giant incident, warning, some of what's included may be considered by some as graphic.

Fox Dallas

The ride attendant and ride operator of the Texas Giant disagreed on whether the lap bar on the ride was properly secured when a woman fell to her death last July.

The new details are part of a deposition taken by lawyers for the family of Rosa Esparza in December, but filed in court on Monday and obtained by FOX4 on Tuesday. The family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Six Flags Over Texas in September.

The ride attendant working at the Texas Giant that day was on his fourth day working at Six Flags, according to the filing.

"In my head, I'm like, I secured it. I did my job," the unnamed ride attendant said in the deposition. "My job is to make sure that the lap bars are secure."

The ride operator had indicated in a previous statement she believed the lap bar hadn't been secured correctly.

"She expresses that she didn't think it was in the right position," said Esparza family lawyer Frank Branson, according to the transcript.

The ride attendant said if the ride operator believed people weren't secured properly, then the operator could have pressed a "lift stop button" to stop the train of cars people were in.

Lawyers for the family said Six Flags has a "no doubt policy" where the ride operator is obligated to stop the train if riders aren't "seated properly and lap bars are locked."

"If she does believe that the bar was not fully down, then she should have stopped the train," the ride attendant said.

The ride attendant said he was the one who went out into the ride to locate the missing person. He said he found Esparza on the top of a tunnel and knew immediately she wasn't alive.

"It was only her upper half that was on top of the tunnel," the ride attendant said, who added he couldn't locate the lower half of Esparza's body.

Parts of the ride attendant's deposition were included in a court filing where Esparza family lawyers contend Six Flags are slowing down the process of talking to witnesses of the incident.

Six Flags said Tuesday it had no comment about the content of the depositions.

The Texas Giant ride reopened in September with safety belts added to each car.

WFAA

ARLINGTON — A motion filed by lawyers representing the family of Rosa Esparza claims a Six Flags employee who checked the 52-year-old woman's restraints the night she was thrown from the Texas Giant was on his fourth day on the job.

"Like any other amusement park patron, Rosa Esparza trusted that Six Flags and its employees would do their jobs," according to the legal document. "That trust was broken when an inexperienced ride attendant — on his fourth day on the job — failed to properly position her lap bar."

The motion said the employee was the same person who located Esparza's body after she was thrown from her car on July 19, 2013.

Lawyers said the panel operator, described as "an experienced ride operator," admitted she was concerned Esparza wasn't secured properly before the train took off, which would violate the park's "If-In-Doubt" policy.

"This lap bar was not placed properly, she didn't think, when it left the station?" a lawyer asked during the deposition of the employee who checked Esparza's restraints.

"I mean, that's her — that's her statement to say whatever she wants," he responded.

"Did you ever respond to her and say, 'Look, I think you are wrong, it was'?" the lawyer asked.

"No, because I — in my head, I know I am right," he responded. "It was secured. She was in shock, and she's allowed to rationalize things however she wants to rationalize things."

The motion also alleges lawyers representing the park attempted to coach the witness and urged him not to answer questions during a deposition.

"Six Flags is more concerned that its inexperienced ride attendant — who they never reprimanded and have since promoted to operate a different high-risk ride — is emotionally distressed and 'still upset about being shown [scene] photographs,'" the motion read.

Lawyers claim Six Flags failed to meet deposition requests ever since the lawsuit was filed against the park on Sept. 10, 2013. According to the motion, lawyers made requests three times before the park produced a witness on Dec. 12, 2013.

“Despite having more than three weeks to schedule two depositions (out of four specifically requested), Six Flags dragged their feet and managed to produce only one witness on December 12,” the motion read.

The motion was filed in response to a protective order requested by the park. Lawyers for the park requested photographs taken of Esparza's body not be shown.

Representing the family, Chip Booker requested the park pay $5,000 to the family for the cost of lawyers responding to the protective order.

I wonder how she ended up with only her top half on the tunnel. Did she fall on a support or sharp edge at a velocity that could have caused such a gruesome injury? Anyways, I wonder why the ride op never tried to get the ride stopped.

I wonder how she ended up with only her top half on the tunnel. Did she fall on a support or sharp edge at a velocity that could have caused such a gruesome injury? Anyways, I wonder why the ride op never tried to get the ride stopped.

It was reported a few pages back she struck a steel support beam before landing on top of the tunnel.

I just hate this whole situation. So many people were affected by this accident. I'll just be glad when its all over and in the past. I cant imagine the guilt the employees deal with that were working NTAG that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodbye Looney Tunes USA, Hello Bugs Bunny Boomtown.

Containing 4 New Attractions

Looney Tunes Adventure Camp (Fort Playground)

Taz Tornado (Kids Swing Ride)

Marvin the Martian Space Rockets (Self Powered Rocket Ride)

Daffy Duck Bucket Blaster (Zamperla Water Mania)

And something called Bugs Bunny Cloud Bouncer. I think It's just a relocated/renamed Cloud Bouncer ride

And here's the video

https://www.sixflags.com/overtexas/attractions/bugs-bunny-boomtown

So for all the people that thought Camp Snoopy in California was going to add a Water Mania, You were right about the ride, Just wrong about the park.

Kids area this year, new coaster next year!

That actually could be a possibility....

Well of course it is! The last one they got was NTG and technically that wasn't even a new coaster, it was just an upgrade. And they removed boomerang, so they need a texas sized thrill coaster! Bets anyone? I think it will be a wing coaster. I know that thats kind of stereotypical expected, but I truly think that that is the most likely possibility and that its going to happen.

I know this may sound a bit odd considering Six Flags hasn't bought one since 2008, but how about a compact GCI? Considering the park is well developed, there's not much room for a large coaster, and because of the fact that Judge is the only woodie left there, I think it would be a great move to put in a compact, quick, exciting, and relatively cheap GCI woodie near La Vibora and the Flume Ride, and possibly all the way over to the area between NTAG and Titan. I think that would be a perfect addition for SfOt in 2015, but that's just my opinion.

We can't discount the ongoing rumors it's some sort of 4th dimension coaster- Perhaps a Zac Spin, or even better, one of those awesome S&S free spin coasters Robb just rode at the S&S plant (the prototype). But again, so many rumors have been thrown around it's too soon to guess. A wingrider would be nice, and a GCI. IMHO, anything would be nice to replace Flashback. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out until the 2015 announcement!

We can't discount the ongoing rumors it's some sort of 4th dimension coaster- Perhaps a Zac Spin, or even better, one of those awesome S&S free spin coasters Robb just rode at the S&S plant (the prototype). But again, so many rumors have been thrown around it's too soon to guess. A wingrider would be nice, and a GCI. IMHO, anything would be nice to replace Flashback. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out until the 2015 announcement!

I've heard mostly negative reviews over Zac Spins, but I would not be surprised to see that come to SFOT. Flashback's footprint is perfect for a Zac Spin, and its in the DC Comics area so dubbing it Green Lantern would work too. Its an easy and cheap clone.

It certainly would fit in nicely in that area; however the footprint is so small they could easily add a few more flats there, too. With that in mind, a DC Universe expansion wouldn't be out of the question. Two major renovative projects back to back seasons, like a park overhaul. That rumor has been thrown around a bit too.

On a different note, I feel that the kids expansion will be a hit with the kids. The promotional images look very nice and the ride selection is great, too. Definately a much needed addition to the park.

I've heard mostly negative reviews over Zac Spins, but I would not be surprised to see that come to SFOT. Flashback's footprint is perfect for a Zac Spin, and its in the DC Comics area so dubbing it Green Lantern would work too. Its an easy and cheap clone.

I'm thinking Six Flags has realized how low capacity the Zac Spins are (and not to mention painful). Do the GP even like Green Lantern? Or do they find it just as painful as coaster enthusiasts do?

I don't think their standards are as high as ours are so it doesn't really bother them as much as us. We are very familiar with many manufacturer and they aren't, so we have expectations. I'm sure Six Flags has realized the capacity issue, but I'm not sure if their quite over the ride. IMHO they might try to solve the capacity issue first before they ditch future installations.

I'd like to see the people in charge of decision making out there spend some time at Cedar Point and take some notes. Then decide on a new coaster.

Something they really should invest in, is a makeover on ol' Judge Roy. It is like riding a one minute long car wreck. It isn't fun anymore. I used to ride it for nostalgic reasons, and for my sons. But they don't even like riding it anymore. It hurts. It also really needs a paint job. It is the first thing people see when pulling into the park. With a little love, riders will return. Now, we pull in and look at it to see how many people are standing in line to ride it. If we see a line at all, we know it's gonna be full crowd.