TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Ya, I'll believe it when I see it. Screamscape supposedly had an park source (aka security guard) say it won't be open the rest of the year. I had a park employee tell me Shock Wave caught fire, which was not true. I would believe Shock WVe to be open next weekend before Giant. But if it does, it'll be a pleasant surprise!

Don't ask me where I got this information but a source at the park has confirmed to me that the New Texas Giant will open next weekend. Six Flags Over Texas was not at fault from the accident and the woman failed to adhere to warning signs posted before the ride entrance

Of course the park is going to absolve itself of any responsibility and blame the rider when it was essentially able to conduct its own investigation with little oversight, but what warning on signs would the rider have ignored? I don't think I have ever seen a warning about being too large to ride. If there is any negligence involved, those signs do not mean squat.

Look back through this thread and you will see a picture that someone posted of the sign posted at the entrance of the ride. I have read it a zillion times going into the ride and at another point in the line cue. It clearly states that if you are a large person (my wording), to not ride. It also states that the lapbar HAS to be all the way down and on your thighs (even gives a nifty little diagram to go with it). It goes so far as to threaten park ejection for trying to get on without the lapbar being in the proper position (for crazy people who purposefully don't pull the bar all the way down so they can get more airtime).

Its funny how so many of you keep mentioning the X flight clone. I thought everyone was against the cloning idea, I just don't understand why everyone all for it now. And if anyone noticed as of the last 5 years Six Flags has not purchased any clones of large coasters. All recent additions have been custom, X Flight, Full Throttle, Superman Escape from Krypton, Goliath SFOG, NTAG, and Iron Rattler. I hope they continue with this trend and when SFOT finally gets a coaster, it will be something custom.

Its funny how so many of you keep mentioning the X flight clone. I thought everyone was against the cloning idea, I just don't understand why everyone all for it now. And if anyone noticed as of the last 5 years Six Flags has not purchased any clones of large coasters. All recent additions have been custom, X Flight, YOLOcoaster, Superman Escape from Krypton, Goliath SFOG, NTAG, and Iron Rattler. I hope they continue with this trend and when SFOT finally gets a coaster, it will be something custom.

It's not really that I want an X-Flight clone, I just think it work really fit nicely in that corner. And it seems like something Six Flags would do

I just saw this aired on Fox 4 News.

Family files wrongful death lawsuit over Texas Giant death

Posted: Sep 10, 2013 4:08 PM CDT Updated: Sep 10, 2013 4:25 PM CDT

By: Mark Norris - email

The family of Rosa Ayala-Goana has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Six Flags over Texas after the mother fell to her death from the Texas Giant.

Ayala-Goana, 52, fell 75 feet after being ejected from her seat while riding the Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington on July 19.

Ayala-Goana was seated in the third row of the carts on the roller coaster and was thrown from her seat during the "steep descent from the first large hill of the track," according to the medical examiner's report after her death.

Ayala-Goana fell 75 feet, higher than a seven story building, and struck a support metal beam. Her body then came to rest on the metal roof of a tunnel.

An autopsy showed "extensive trauma of the torso" and the cause of death was "multiple traumatic injuries" due to her fall from the ride.

The lawsuit states inspections by the park after the accident showed "various parts of the security systems on the ride were experiencing inconsistencies and intermittent failures."

It also states Six Flags admitted it replaced a "limit switch" for the restraint in the "seat in the very car in which Rosa was riding because Six Flags found the switch to be defective."

Witnesses said as people were coming back to the station, riders were crying and knew something had gone horribly wrong.

A family who was in line behind Ayala-Goana said the seat restraint seemed to go down normally before the car left. They said when the train came back, the seat restraint was down. That family said Ayala-Goana's daughter and son-in-law were calling for help. They were screaming, "We need to go get my mom!"

The Ayala-Goana family is seeking at least $1 million in damages from Six Flags.

The Texas Giant has remained closed since the July accident.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/23395588/family-files-wrongful-death-lawsuit-over-texas-giant-death#ixzz2eWxCMKLY

It says at least $1 million. But yeah, that's chump change to a corporation. If I recall, the park paid around $4 million to the family of the lady that died on Roaring Rapids back in '99.

The only thing that pisses me off about this lawsuit is this:

“…Six Flags knew as early as 1978 that, in the absence of a safety belt, passengers bear a greater risk of being ejected from a roller coast,” according to the lawsuit, filed by Dallas attorney Frank L. Branson.
(from http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/family-of-woman-who-fell-to-her-death-from-texas-giant-roller-coaster-now-suing-six-flags-over-texas.html/)

This makes absolutely no freaking sense. The other arguments, about a defective limit switch, are interesting if true and would indeed place some of the blame on Gerstlauer. Although I have to think a defective limit switch would result in the light never turning on, therefore letting the operator know something was wrong.