TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I love this year's additions. It will really help the overall appearance of the park. The Looney Tunes area is in much need of a refurb. I am hoping for a Bulldozer as well. That area would be perfect for a small wooden Twister Coaster ( maybe like American Thunder)- then JRS goes away in favor of a Wing Rider ( or something big and custom) out and over the Lake.... It would provide an impressive first impression like CP's Gatekeeper.

I kind of wish they would have announced some new shows for 2014 as well. I think that would have kind of helped lift the spirits around the park after such a tragedy. But I think once next season rolls around everything will be fresh, NTAG and Shockwave will be open, and most of the GP will have forgotten what happened this past July and this park can start its recovery.

^ Those are some great ideas that I never thought of!

It's understandable that we didn't get anything major this year because of the accident and such. Here's to hoping 2014 is a better season all around. In 2015, I expect to see a major coaster though. They have been denying the flagship park of a unique attraction for so long. It's upsetting to say the least.

Are you serious? This post is pretty stupid. Cause opening a huge Top 5 steel coaster two years ago isn't a unique attraction or anything... I'm also positive the accident didn't affect next years additions.

I would say that leaving a space between larger additions (or truthfully) transformations is a better strategy. When a park follows the strategy of adding one coaster after another as seen in what Premier did back in the 90s, it invokes the law of diminishing returns on increasing attendance and racks up debt. This is a good move for this year for helping to address one of Six Flags weaknesses of not having a well balanced park for all audiences.

Having said this, SFOT hasn't had much investment since 2001 (their only new coaster is Pandemonium) despite its size and the growing community it is located next to and there are a number of segments that their line up is lacking. The NTAG is a transformation of an existing coaster which kept the coaster count the same and last year the gave their Boomerang (Flashback) to SFSTL causing it to drop. If SFGAm can get X-Flight and Goliath for giving Iron Wolf and Ragin' Cajun to SFA, I don't see that it is "stupid" patrons to expect to get a coaster before long for giving Flashback (Boomerang) to SFSTL. SFMM gets a coaster just about every other year whether or not they had to give one to another park and it isn't their official "flagship park," and to be honest it actually makes that park feel very incomplete because they don't focus enough on other attractions or on fixing what they have.

With the Texas Giant being transformed into a Steel Coaster, I would agree with the idea that retiring the Judge Roy Scream for a newer, better woodie should be considered as that coaster was the least impressive offering and is so short that there isn't much to work with for any kind of transformation. A GCI or Intamin woodie would make a great addition.

The park does need to consider adding a newer looping coaster someday as their line up is getting rather dated and very much overshadowed by SFFT whose looping coaster line up has much more variety of inversions and newer additions. I would tend to support the idea of a segment similar to Maverick which stands out more than adding another B&M and would be a lot more intense.

I really am excited to see how well Looney Tunes U.S.A. will look next year. I wonder when they will have the area completed? Will they wait till the end of May again?

Also, I'm glad they decided to spruce up this area up, really shows how well balanced OT is. I believe it's the best balanced park in the entire SF chain. Therefore to me, it's my favorite park in the chain.

We went to Fiesta Texas twice this summer. Overall it seems to be a somewhat smaller scale park than SFOT. But as a whole, we really enjoyed ourselves more there. The atmosphere was better and more with an exception of the little car ride, ride ops were more efficient. The lines weren't stagnant for the most part. I loved the "Lone Star Nights" fireworks/laser show they did at the end of the evening when they closed. Both times we were there all of the rides we wanted to ride (with an exception of IRAT the second time because of the NTAG accident) were open! We didn't make it over to the water park, but thought that was a neat idea to have that as part of the ticket in. This is the first year I had ever visited another Six Flags park besides SFOT. We really had fun there. We are talking about going back for HIP.

Maybe SFOT just had a bad year this year. I have read where people said that the employees have been rude. I have to say, I have gone a ton this year and only ran into one rude employee and one super annoying ride operator that ran the whole "Oh yeah!" thing into the ground while waiting for Mr. Freeze. Not to say that there weren't any, but most of the time they were pretty cool from our experience. Our biggest issues this year was the constant ride breakdowns and running one train making people wait forever. It seemed to even bug some of the ride ops and they would do their best to try and make up for it and apologized.

Maybe next year will be better with the new kids addition. I am curious if they are going to cater more to the littler kids or if they will put stuff in that older kids (8-12 year bracket) will enjoy, too.

They have released the 2014 season pass price special. They don't post the price on the advertisement but they are running the free upgrade to gold on 4 or more passes if you buy them by the end of Fright Fest. That was like last year. Then they turned around and extended it through HIP. I got online and looked further for a price. They raised the prices by $5 a pass. So this year they are $65 plus tax for 4 or more. Add $20 if you want a combo pass.

And Momma nature has made it hard for us to ride anything. We just stayed home. I kept tabs on the radar and it was round after round of storms hitting Arlington all morning. It's at least an hour drive from here. I am not going to spend gas and time for closed coasters because there is lightning within a 20 mile radius. It's supposed to get better but they are only open till 8pm, and the chance more can pop up remains the rest of today. I'm just gonna blow it off for today. Nothing more frustrating than waiting in line for a ride, only to have their little phone ring saying to shut her down, there's lightning. Last time that happened it was 2 hours before it opened back up. That was on NTAG the day before the accident. Glad we went ahead and waited it out and rode it. Little did we know it would be the last ride for a long long time on it. Hope you have a great time on IRAT, and your visit to Texas. Hope you have a great a/c in your rental car, it's HOT!

I don't know how they could possibly see seatbelts without having actually been right up there next to the train. I smell b/s with that one. They aren't letting anybody near the station, much less the trains. One would assume that yes, there will be seatbelts. I hope they get it going soon, but I am waving my b/s flag on that one.

I have never been to Fright Fest before, but someone told me that sometimes they turn the trains backwards on Judge Roy during that time. I have seen them do that before for a whole season. I rode it backwards. That was back in the '90's. I wonder if that could be why it is closed down. If that is true what Screamscape said.

I saw this on Screamscape today. It seems like every time we go to SF, when walking to the Titan inevitably there is someone that harasses the security guard parked at the stairway to NTAG about when it is going to open. They usually answer but it is just to blow them off and get them to move on. Usually, someone will ask when it will open, and they'll say "soon." I would expect this is no different. I would be willing to bet you they have little information on when it will open. Anyway, with that being said, take it for what it's worth. They did post about Judge Roy being back up and running, for those who were disappointed by its closure.

Park News - (9/5/13) Good news, looks like the problem with Judge Roy was just temporary, as a reader visited the park on Monday (Labor Day) and found the Judge up and running once again. While there has been no official comment from SFOT regarding when we might see the Texas Giant reopen, a reader tells us that a security guard posted at the Giant was telling guests that if it reopened this year, it wouldn’t be until very near the end of the season. Otherwise, it looks like most of you should not expect to see it reopen until 2014…

I saw the Judge running while I was on the top of the lift hill of La Vibora on Monday.

A family that was walking in front of me asked the security guard when the Texas

Giant would be open

That's funny. Every time I go somebody harasses them about it. One time some guy asked if the Germans were there. They said, "Nope!" IRAT had just reopened and so by Germans, I assumed he meant "Gerstlauer." I