TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Sorry if this has already posted before but I found another NTAG video from the guys who brought you that other terrible video

http://www.tomonews.net/2013/07/20/106981/

This one is even worse! So many wrongful things, the click, her falling out on the drop...ugh

I wouldn't be surprised if Six Flags sues several of these media outlets for slander. The information is clearly wrong and is harming their reputation while making one of their prominent coasters look unsafe to the point of negligence on Six Flag's part for ever opening it.

They've made videos about companies and incidents much bigger than Six Flags. Which just goes to show you that you can pretty much do and say whatever you want on the internet and it really doesn't matter. It's the interent.

"If it's on the internet then in must be true".....

^^ That's where we'll be! We go at the end of the evening on Sundays because of the crowd that has to leave early over it being a work night. It has worked out in our favor so far.

That's my favorite time to go! Sundays for sure.

I'm so sad, I have a season pass and I haven't been to the park since January. ): !!!

The last several times I have gone to SF has been in after 5pm. I love pulling in to crowds of people walking to their cars and not having the heat bearing down me. It's rather nice, and then riding the coasters as night is even bigger treat!

Interesting listen (go to about 15:30 in) to some "general public" talk about the accident on Chicago's 670 The Score (sports talk) station. As with most sports shows, Boers and Bernstein tend to spray to all fields (incl those beyond sports).

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d3/dB/dE/dK/13BEK_3.MP3?authtok=5562150826724095553_L1JF7zyrwlRgmdXJmB6oUxWWq3c

(again, go to about 15:30)

I don't want to talk about roller coaster safety. I am planning on coming to the park on Sunday at opening. If I ride all open roller coasters 1 time what time can I get out of there by. I might also get a regular flash pass. I am shooting for 2 because I want to get up to Frontier City and ride their coasters before they close at 8. Any educated guesses on possibilities.

As for Batman, if you have already been to SFFT and/or SFOG, and rode Goliath (at SFFT) or Batman (SFOG), then you already have that notch in your belt. Our experience with Batman at SFOT is that the line is mind-numbingly slow. I don't know what it is they are or aren't doing up there that takes the loading/unloading process soooo loooong, but we won't ride it unless the line is at the staircase inside the station. We were pleasantly surprised to see SFFT kick some arse on Goliath. Even running one train, they managed to get things moving quicker than SFOT on 2 trains. And there isn't much in the way of a/c or ventilation in the line ques, which makes it stifling. Especially on a humid day, which is the majority of the time out here. At least with Freeze, the building is air conditioned all the way through till you board and coming off, and the line moves pretty good when they have both trains running.

Here is the deal on Batman, the first is they only operate it with 3 people, 1 panel, 2 load, then combine stupid people who want to take their shoes off, well, that was fine 2 years ago but now they have a policy that shoes must travel. No one listens, so, as the two loaders are wondering back through the train as they catch someone without shoes, its unlock 2 rows, get the shoes, recheck two rows, move back, repeat. 4:30 dispatches are the norm. Add two more loaders, or even one more and get better throughput. But they are budget friendly these days so you won't see it.

^ And I have seen that first hand. Sigh.. Something I noticed is SFFT doesn't care if you are barefoot or not on that ride. There are flip flops all over the place on the platform for that ride and Superman Krypton Coaster. I have seen riders hand their shoes to the platform attendant from their seats! Batman just isn't worth the long wait in the heat to me. It's a cool ride and all, but I liken its line worthiness to Runaway Mountain. It's an alright ride and all, but not worth more than a 20-30 min wait, especially when it is 100 degrees outside. At least Runaway Mountain is air conditioned once you get in. I won't get in line for that one until it is in the door. By that point it isn't a long wait.

This is one section before the station on Batman that has it's a/c working, but the station area, nada, and hasn't been for a while. It's all about how cheaply they can get away with staffing at SFOT, not saying they cut ride maintenance budgets so as not to get confused, but operations seems to cut and snip and do the bare minimum to ensure the lines stay nice and long.

Just think, maybe if people didn't have to spend so long in line they might buy something or play a game, wow, what a concept!

^The thing is, the longer the line, the more flash passes are going to sell.

From a consumer standpoint, it's crap. But from a business standpoint it's pure genius! I would agree with what you said, but if you were to present the idea to a CEO of the corporation or a manager, it wouldn't sound like english to them.

^Flash pass sales aren't what you think they are at this particular park, wrong demographic and poor ride choices keep most people from buying them.

Not too mention we are in dire need of a new roller coaster. I don't count the Texas Giant being revamped as a ''new'' ride because it needed to be done as much as I enjoyed the migraines on the old ride. Fact is we haven't had a good new roller coaster built since Titan in 2001...we have to be on the list for a new one soon!

Agreed on that point, it feels like every new ride they are trying to make Fiesta into Over Texas (or visa versa), the Giant atleast was special and then they did Iron Rattler. SFoT needs to get a new ride and something different, Six Flags needs to give a reason for people in Texas to visit both parks, now people just dont see a big enough draw to go to both and just go to the closer park.

If they keep with the everyotheryear philosophy for new rides set forth by the new CEO, next year could be a disappointment. However, something tells me DC Universe is on it's way sooner than later. Record revenue thus far dictates in order to keep record revenue levels a new attraction is a must as like has been mentioned, the park skyline really hasn't changed too much in the last 10 years save for the new tower swings.

This is one section before the station on Batman that has it's a/c working, but the station area, nada, and hasn't been for a while. It's all about how cheaply they can get away with staffing at SFOT, not saying they cut ride maintenance budgets so as not to get confused, but operations seems to cut and snip and do the bare minimum to ensure the lines stay nice and long.

HVAC would be a maintenance expense. The problem with HVAC systems is that unless it is something easily accessible to fix, those fixes are usually huge capital expenses---replacing giant A/C units, tearing up walls for ventilation, etc.

Interesting listen (go to about 15:30 in) to some "general public" talk about the accident on Chicago's 670 The Score (sports talk) station. As with most sports shows, Boers and Bernstein tend to spray to all fields (incl those beyond sports).

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d3/dB/dE/dK/13BEK_3.MP3?authtok=5562150826724095553_L1JF7zyrwlRgmdXJmB6oUxWWq3c

Those guys seem a tad insensitive for my tastes. I'd hate for the family of the deceased to hear this.

^Boers and Bernstein never show sensitivity (particularly Berstein). That's their shtick. They get good ratings here in Chicago. Bernstein belittles people, including callers, the entire show each day, although he's often right in what he says. It's very entertaining at times, but they rub many the wrong way.

With SFOT being my home park I was very sadden to hear about this accident. However it was a freak accident, and will not stop me from riding the NTG as soon as it reopens. As for the past page of this thread, I agree... SFOT Is in need of a new coaster, and I hope it happens soon!

Those guys seem a tad insensitive for my tastes. I'd hate for the family of the deceased to hear this.

Agreed, I was actually curious to hear what others here thought once they gave it a listen. If you hang in there, they come back to it later with some pretty rough stuff. I like these guys' show overall, but it is crap like that that takes away from my enjoyment.

Back on topic, any further updates/pics of the work being done on Shockwave?

Thanks, any pics of what was damaged/being worked on floating around? It's incredibly satisfying tat they are going through this effort, btw! Six Flags is the subject of a lot of trash talk, but things like this (and Whizzer and Little Dipper in IL) really makes me happy!

^Shockwave is down for the rest of year while parts are manufactured.

You don't know how happy I was when I learned that it won't be dismantled and sold. It's been a long time favorite of mine, since back in the 80's. I worried that it would go bye-bye as it isn't the most popular ride anymore. You can usually slide on in less than 30 min on a busy day, now. Back when I was a teenager, it and Judge Roy were the big deal in Six Flags Coasters until Texas Giant came out. They didn't have the Go-Karts there, those were Shock Wave ques and they were full on a semi-busy day. It was always the first ride we tackled when they opened the flood-gates at 10am. I wonder if they are gonna do anything with Judge Roy. It isn't even fun anymore. It is a beating. It's like someone grabbed my shoulders and slammed me against a brick wall repeatedly for a solid minute. You only see kids and some brave parents on it anymore. I liked it when I was a kid and it didn't hurt. Would be nice to see them do some track or train repair on it. I get air time on it, but it isn't in my seat, it is train air time. I wouldn't mind if RMC gave it a little touch or two, but that's wishful thinking.

Thanks, any pics of what was damaged/being worked on floating around? It's incredibly satisfying tat they are going through this effort, btw! Six Flags is the subject of a lot of trash talk, but things like this (and Whizzer and Little Dipper in IL) really makes me happy!

I spent forever looking for the damage but couldn't see any.

Had a great day at the park for my first time. Probably won't be back for many years, so it's a bummer that NTAG's closed. One employee said that it would open sooner than expected but not today, but of course take that with a grain of salt. Skyscreamer was fantastic, especially at night. The park was pretty empty, with La Vibora having the longest line at about 20 minutes. Most things were a 1-3 train wait which, except for Batman, went very quickly. I have to say, B:TR has the absolute worst operations I have ever seen. A local said that the park has been a lot emptier ever since the accident, but as a visitor I wouldn't know how true this is.

Overall a nice day at a great park! Hope NTAG opens back up for you guys soon. Oh a quick question: the operator kept saying that Runaway Mine Train is the first tubular steel coaster, but isn't it Matterhorn?

^Shockwave is down for the rest of year while parts are manufactured.

I think Shockwave is a great ride, but I wonder how much longer the ride will be able to last if parts have to be special made...can't imagine Six Flags wanting that expense forever.