TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I sorta missed your point too. I'm sorry. I'm pretty dumb sometimes. Can you try and explain so I understand better.

"I never explain anything." - Mary Poppins

Edited by robbalvey

Hate to be "harsh" but while tragic, it isn't even the first time such a thing has happened. I know people have been thrown out of a train before.

Never heard a peep of it. This one has gone full national media.

I'm a bit of a mainstream media hater but yeah, America overreacts. It's what we do. Someone stubs a toe, if for whatever reason it gets "big" every American wants a flurry of swift action to keep it from happening again.

I can't vouch for how other countries are, but yeah we overreact (based off gut not brain) to everything. How many hundreds of stories go huge just to burn out and no one cares?

Very very sad what happened, just hope no one seriously tries to get the state involved and "regulate" rides now and etc etc etc

I mean why can't so many take one minute...to look at the stats and see how safe rides are, and most accidents are rider/op failure not a ride issue, but nah now we have elected officials talking about rides "slinging kids at over 100 mph" and how "its not right" oi!

rant end

^ Yeah, but the closures also act as a PR mechanism too...it makes it look like the park's are VERY invested in safety even if the rides themselves are actually safe.

My guess is Iron Rattler being closed is Six Flags way of say, "hey look guys, we care about safety, look we're conducting a full investigation!" But yeah, I'm sure the truth is they could have left Texas Giant open and not missed a cycle and nothing more would happen. However the media backlash from that would be devistating for the park. I expect Iron Rattler to reopen Saturday and Texas Giant to follow in another week or so. The park needs to draw that fine line between figuring out how long to leave it closed in order to make the public happy.

True, but I can see this biting them in the A$$ as well. I'm not saying it will! However, when there are closures of the same ANYTHING, people begin to question whether or not there is something wrong with that "thing". This is obviously not the most logical train of thought, but when you have a situation like this people tend to leave their brains at the door.

I can testify that is exactly what people are thinking, from first hand experience. My family went down to SFFT, yesterday. We rode a ride that is right beside IRAT. As we walked out the exit and past the entrance for IRAT, people were walking up to it, talking about it being broke down, that something must be wrong. I was kinda shocked they didn't already know. Then as my husband and I were boarding Krypton Coaster, we were talking to another couple. As soon as they found out we were from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, they started talking about it. Every time we walked past IRAT's entrance, you'd see people walking up to it and then walking away disappointed.

Hate to be "harsh" but while tragic, it isn't even the first time such a thing has happened. I know people have been thrown out of a train before.

Never heard a peep of it. This one has gone full national media.

I'm a bit of a mainstream media hater but yeah, America overreacts. It's what we do. Someone stubs a toe, if for whatever reason it gets "big" every American wants a flurry of swift action to keep it from happening again.

I can't vouch for how other countries are, but yeah we overreact (based off gut not brain) to everything. How many hundreds of stories go huge just to burn out and no one cares?

Very very sad what happened, just hope no one seriously tries to get the state involved and "regulate" rides now and etc etc etc

I mean why can't so many take one minute...to look at the stats and see how safe rides are, and most accidents are rider/op failure not a ride issue, but nah now we have elected officials talking about rides "slinging kids at over 100 mph" and how "its not right" oi!

rant end

WOW! Thank you! Finally someone agrees with me! We don't need to change our safety restraints or ad more. That takes away some of the fun. Roller coasters are fun, but they can be dangerous. If you're that freaked out that they need to put 10 seatbelts on every ride, then just don't ride it. It's very sad what happened, but that doesn't mean that every ride now is going to have riders fall out of it. It's a freak accident, it happens every once in awhile. It's sad, but it needs to be let go.

Roller coaster deaths per year on average, including people with pre-existing conditions or situations where it was the rider's fault:

Deaths from car accidents in 2010 according to WHO:

1.24 million.

115 people die per day in the US alone from car accidents...

This is the overreaction of the century!

Sure, and of course while you are right it can be dangerous and we know the risk, the risk is like .0001% assuming you don't do anything wrong.

I am MUCH more likely to die driving to SFMM than on any ride there

Anyway the stupidity annoyed me but I'm sure in another day the news will be dead and the power freaks that need to run everything will have to wait for the next tragedy on a ride to have their way!

I don't want to talk about roller coaster safety. I am planning on coming to the park on Sunday at opening. If I ride all open roller coasters 1 time what time can I get out of there by. I might also get a regular flash pass. I am shooting for 2 because I want to get up to Frontier City and ride their coasters before they close at 8. Any educated guesses on possibilities.

I don't want to talk about roller coaster safety. I am planning on coming to the park on Sunday at opening. If I ride all open roller coasters 1 time what time can I get out of there by. I might also get a regular flash pass. I am shooting for 2 because I want to get up to Frontier City and ride their coasters before they close at 8. Any educated guesses on possibilities.

Are you a single rider? If so then I don't see why you can't. Because Giant is down I recommend starting at Mr. Freeze then moving to Batman. After that ride whatever you want in whatever order.

Coasters that are not on Flash Pass: Judge, Mine Trains, Kiddie. Not sure how important all those "credits" are to you, but I'd probably get in the park right at opening, get those "credits" if you need them, and then head over to the Flash Pass office. The Flash Pass is good on all the other coasters in the park. (Note: It's also not good on Texas Sky Screamer, so if that's important to you, get to that as well)

Sure, and of course while you are right it can be dangerous and we know the risk, the risk is like .0001% assuming you don't do anything wrong.

I am MUCH more likely to die driving to SFMM than on any ride there

Anyway the stupidity annoyed me but I'm sure in another day the news will be dead and the power freaks that need to run everything will have to wait for the next tragedy on a ride to have their way!

Going down into LA from SFMM is always the scariest ride of the day for me, a lot of people just seem to zoom down the tjon pass or whatever it's called like its nothing.

Roller coaster deaths per year on average, including people with pre-existing conditions or situations where it was the rider's fault:

1.24 million.

Yes that's what's killing me. When Robb went on HLN they said there were 450 deaths a year that occurred when someone got out of bed so that's at least one person per day.

Yes I will be a single rider. I usually can get everything quickly since I am on my own. I usually sneak up a few trains by partnering up with an odd group. My record was skipping about 10 trains on Outlaw Run by getting in a 3-some in the front row. I know I can probably hit at least half the coasters in the first hour. It is after that I am worried. Is La Vibora a low capacity ride? What are the lowest capacity rides at the park? If I am not almost finished by noon I'll run over and get the flash pass. If by miracle they open the 2 closed coasters I will get the flash pass too.

Robb, if you are still reading this thread, thanks for all the help. These boards have been a huge help over the last year.

1.24 million.

Yes that's what's killing me. When Robb went on HLN they said there were 450 deaths a year that occurred when someone got out of bed so that's at least one person per day.

How about the 550 deaths when shopping on Black Friday!

1.24 million.

Exactly! Do they not realize that since it opened in 2011, there have been no incidents until the death? That's millions of people sitting in the trains with just a lap bar and surviving the ride just fine. And before this, when was the last time someone died on a roller coaster? Millions and millions of people ride roller coasters everyday, and nothing happens to them. Crazy how we overreact in the US.

Where is Markey now? Article

OZARK, Arkansas - A 68-year-old Vietnam veteran from Michigan, who was traveling to Okemah to see his father's grave, had his journey cut short this week.

Charles Peters loaded up his belongings in a green covered wagon pulled by two mules. He left his home in Michigan on May 1, hoping to thank veterans along the way.

On July 24, Peters' wagon was hit by a truck on U.S. Highway 64 near Ozark, Arkansas. The truck rolled over, killing the two mules and injuring Peters.

"I could see the wheels, and it looked like the truck was on top of the caravan," said Sherry Rodgers, who saw the aftermath of the crash. "I could not see the [mules] because the embankment was really far in a ditch and it had just rained the night before and the [mules] were trapped in the ditch."

The crash sent Peters to the hospital with two broken ribs.

Word of the crash spread quickly in Ozark, with people coming forward offering to help Peters get back on the road with new mules.

He has declined their offer, he told KFSM TV, the CBS affiliate in Fort Smith.

"I wouldn't give this trip up for anything," Peters said. "If people ask me what it would take for me to quit, I just say I don't understand the question. I won't quit."

Peters wants to thank his dad for his service during World War II.

"I want to stand next to his grave and just say ‘Thank you Pop'," Peters said.

He plans to return to Michigan, train two new mules and get back on the road to Okemah next spring.

2 mules were killed, TWO! This is an outrage! Of course once the media gets finsihed with the it the mules will be donkeys, the wagon wasn't green, it was red, it wasn't highway 64, it was highway 69, and it wasn't his father, it was his grandfather

I like how both videos are on the website, which contradict each other on when the accident happened. The only things on the video that are the same are park, ride (yay correct information), the 3 click thingy, and the "fact" the lap bar failed...I love tomonews!!

As for Batman, if you have already been to SFFT and/or SFOG, and rode Goliath (at SFFT) or Batman (SFOG), then you already have that notch in your belt. Our experience with Batman at SFOT is that the line is mind-numbingly slow. I don't know what it is they are or aren't doing up there that takes the loading/unloading process soooo loooong, but we won't ride it unless the line is at the staircase inside the station. We were pleasantly surprised to see SFFT kick some arse on Goliath. Even running one train, they managed to get things moving quicker than SFOT on 2 trains. And there isn't much in the way of a/c or ventilation in the line ques, which makes it stifling. Especially on a humid day, which is the majority of the time out here. At least with Freeze, the building is air conditioned all the way through till you board and coming off, and the line moves pretty good when they have both trains running.

I am thinking of coming into the park and going in a circle to the right at this point. I really don't need another Batman credit but if there is no line I would take it. It seems most non-flash pass lines are to the right of the entrance. I hope being Sunday most people should be at church most of the morning. It is the "Bible Belt" isn't it?

Sorry if this has already posted before but I found another NTAG video from the guys who brought you that other terrible video

http://www.tomonews.net/2013/07/20/106981/

This one is even worse! So many wrongful things, the click, her falling out on the drop...ugh

I wouldn't be surprised if Six Flags sues several of these media outlets for slander. The information is clearly wrong and is harming their reputation while making one of their prominent coasters look unsafe to the point of negligence on Six Flag's part for ever opening it.

^^ That's where we'll be! We go at the end of the evening on Sundays because of the crowd that has to leave early over it being a work night. It has worked out in our favor so far.

That's my favorite time to go! Sundays for sure.

I'm so sad, I have a season pass and I haven't been to the park since January. ): !!!

Sorry if this has already posted before but I found another NTAG video from the guys who brought you that other terrible video

http://www.tomonews.net/2013/07/20/106981/

This one is even worse! So many wrongful things, the click, her falling out on the drop...ugh

I wouldn't be surprised if Six Flags sues several of these media outlets for slander. The information is clearly wrong and is harming their reputation while making one of their prominent coasters look unsafe to the point of negligence on Six Flag's part for ever opening it.

They've made videos about companies and incidents much bigger than Six Flags. Which just goes to show you that you can pretty much do and say whatever you want on the internet and it really doesn't matter. It's the interent.