TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I didn't say they were talking about her. (Rosy)

Unless I'm mistaken.

What would the family of victim think if they saw this? Sad.

You kinda were.

I'm not saying do not be offended. I'm just saying that I'm not offended. I don't like to generalize but I feel like most people were not offended by the joke.

You kinda were.

I'm not saying do not be offended. I'm just saying that I'm not offended. I don't like to generalize but I feel like most people were not offended by the joke.

I was offended. I see you are not, and that's fine. I was just voicing my opinion like you are. I don't wanna argue over this so I'm moving on.

for anyone watching headline news "2900 people are killed annually by Hippos" ... EFFING AWESOME.

-chris "wonders how many are animatronic" con.

I was more amazed by how many people died falling out of bed every year (450).

Wikipedia should NEVER be considered a source for any type of news.

Completely agree with this Jen- For the past five years I've been considered a founding father of Southampton New York.

search wikipedia for Southampton NY and look for Christian Connolly (and please don't edit it !)

So here's my take on HLN tonight- Robb represents the only voice of reason on the show and shares his points incredibly intelligently and articulately. Pretty sure everyone else on the show is nuts, but it's really entertaining. Hat tip to you sir.

I have a question for those that are more educated than I am about ride regulations.

The lawyer speaking out against theme parks and the hosts of the show keep pointing to the fact that carnival rides are regulated by the federal government and rides at permanent parks aren't. My understanding is that amusement rides are regulated by state governments or organizations within each state while carnivals travel between states which is likely why they need to be federally regulated. Am I correct in this?

If so, it seems like they're using some strategic language here. They act outraged because carnivals are regulated by the "feds" and theme parks aren't but carefully leave out the fact that theme parks are regulated by state organizations. By leaving that out they imply that theme parks aren't regulated at all or are internally regulated but obviously this isn't the case.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this. Oh, and great job Robb!

Why was my earlier post deleted? Anyway after the rain Saturday it was pretty fun at the park. People in the park were talking about the accident and mentioning the clicking. N T G stood out in the night sky to me. I think about what happened while I'm staring at it.

Probably because it was as obnoxious as you trying to get around the word filter. If you don't like what we do here or want to play by our rules. LEAVE!

That's not being unfair or asking too much.

I have a question for those that are more educated than I am about ride regulations.

The lawyer speaking out against theme parks and the hosts of the show keep pointing to the fact that carnival rides are regulated by the federal government and rides at permanent parks aren't. My understanding is that amusement rides are regulated by state governments or organizations within each state while carnivals travel between states which is likely why they need to be federally regulated. Am I correct in this?

If so, it seems like they're using some strategic language here. They act outraged because carnivals are regulated by the "feds" and theme parks aren't but carefully leave out the fact that theme parks are regulated by state organizations. By leaving that out they imply that theme parks aren't regulated at all or are internally regulated but obviously this isn't the case.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this. Oh, and great job Robb!

To answer your question, not all states regulate amusement parks. Texas obviously being one of those. The question is, do you really think government oversight, even at the state level, would make amusement rides any safer? I think not.

Very happy with the verdict. Of course, the people who said they were unsafe were the older folks but what was it with the Water Safety Instructor?! IMHO, there is no correlation between amusement park safety and being a Water Safety Instructor and I say this from experience. I am 16, a lifeguard employed by my school district working at the district Natatorium surrounded by water safety instructors younger than me (many i've swam varsity swimming with) and I will most likely earn my Water Safety Instructor certification next year. I'm sorry, I was absolutely blown away by that. Last time I checked, teaching a 5 year old to float on their back is in no way correlated to amusement park safety. That just bugged me the whole debate. I have no idea why they made such a big deal out of it.

I get the humor disclaimer,

No, it doesn't look like you do get it. People deal with accidents like this in their own way, it is not up to you to decide which is the "right" way.

Eric is right. If you "got" the humor disclaimer, you wouldn't have made the post that you did. While I'm not saying Chris' post was right or wrong, have we really gotten to the point that we've run out of things to discuss on this accident that we are now complaining about comments that people have made? Really???

Pathetic.

Edited by robbalvey

So let me get this straight, because amusement parts are not federally regulated, they are not safe? Don't major amusement parks inspect their coaster tracks every day? Why would they do that if there were no regulations. Robb was the bright spot of the show. They just tried to spin this sad situation to fit their narrative.

So let me get this straight, because amusement parts are not federally regulated, they are not safe? Don't major amusement parks inspect their coaster tracks every day? Why would they do that if there were no regulations. Robb was the bright spot of the show. They just tried to spin this sad situation to fit their narrative.

Thankfully myself, and one of the other women on the show at least spoke to the voice of reason, statistics, and how the odds are by FAR in your favor.