TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Sorry, I forgot to do the rest of the research for you. www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334206

*sigh* The two questions are, 1. could the seat belt have better indicated if she was too big to ride, and 2. would the seat belt have kept her in the seat when the lap bar didn't. Learning about the mechanics of the restraint itself answers neither of these questions.

People forget there's a 1 in approx. 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 or so chance that a seat belt will snap and become useless.

The whole discussion of "if there was a seat belt, she'd probably be alive today" is pointless, and only serves to defend knee jerk reactions that don't accomplish anything besides adding to the stupidity of the world. The only way to guarantee that you won't die on a roller coaster is to never ride one.

People forget there's a 1 in approx. 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 or so chance that a seat belt will snap and become useless.

The whole discussion of "if there was a seat belt, she'd probably be alive today" is pointless, and only serves to defend knee jerk reactions that don't accomplish anything besides adding to the stupidity of the world. The only way to guarantee that you won't die on a roller coaster is to never ride one.

Anything that can add safety to a ride is not a "knee jerk reaction".

If they added a seatbelt for the restraint that was a "one size" seatbelt, it can ensure the harness is low enough to ensure EVERYONE is ALWAYS secure by the restraint. This lady should not have been allowed to ride. If the belt was on here seat it would not have been able to be buckled because the bar was not low enough.

I would be shocked if they did not add belts to the restraint. Not to keep them closed but to ensure they are low enough. If people remove the belt during the ride it mean nothing because the belt already confirmed a safe position of the lap bar.

Edited by Millionaire2K

Who is to say that the seatbelt would not have buckled? I mean, some rides have the extender belt, and her fat could have also absorbed the seatbelt enough to make it buckle.

The reality is the investigation needs to finish to Six Flags can take the proper corrective action. Whatever that might be.

Who is to say that the seatbelt would not have buckled? I mean, some rides have the extender belt, and her fat could have also absorbed the seatbelt enough to make it buckle.

The reality is the investigation needs to finish to Six Flags can take the proper corrective action. Whatever that might be.

WOW. How about they make the seat belt small enough so it will ONLY buckle when the restraint is low enough to be effective. Why would you think they would add a belt that does nothing?

Flight of fear is 1 example of the "if you can't lock the seatbelt you can't ride"

This isn't a issue of making the restraints accommodate larger guests than what they are currently able to handle. It's a issue of allowing those who shouldn't be on the ride in the first place ride.

Currently, that isn't a issue either because we still have no freakin' idea what the accident was actually caused by. The speculation is way in space right now.

WOW. How about they make the seat belt small enough so it will ONLY buckle when the restraint is low enough to be effective. Why would you think they would add a belt that does nothing?

Because allegedly this coaster has restraint sensors that showed her as being OK to ride...the seatbelt would have been made to those specifications, so her fat theoretically would have sucked in the belt too and allowed it to buckle...

There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to coaster restraints. Unfortunately. No restraint is failure proof.

But as has been stated about 2000000000 times...it's all speculation at this point. We'll find out the actual cause and ride modifications in due time.

Because allegedly this coaster has restraint sensors that showed her as being OK to ride...the seatbelt would have been made to those specifications, so her fat theoretically would have sucked in the belt too and allowed it to buckle...

There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to coaster restraints. Unfortunately. No restraint is failure proof.

But as has been stated about 2000000000 times...it's all speculation at this point. We'll find out the actual cause and ride modifications in due time.

If the light said OK and the restraint failed to hold her then wow to the coaster.

Note the seat belt I think should be added would NOT go around the rider.

Oh and yes I agree we will all have to wait till the report to find out what went wrong. However I think its ok for us to use common sense here as long as we do not get angry at anyone (the lady, SF, ect) until we know for sure. Like when that person fell off a drop ride years ago. People said they didn't know how that could happen unless the person didn't have legs or was missing arms. Well the person was missing legs.

Look how far Rob comes out of his seat at the 3:47 mark

The seatbelt you want doesn't do anything different than what the restraint system is already designed to do. Those seat belts you show will not lock if the restraint does not close far enough. We've already established that NTAG has a system that doesn't allow the train to be dispatched if the angle is not met on the restraint.

As for seat belts in general, I'm against them. There's no proof that having a seat belt would have stopped her from falling out. If she could have slid out of the current restraints then she could have slipped out of a seat belt that was designed for the current restraint max angle distance.

It was a freak accident. I don't want to be strapped down beyond movement to go for a ride (that's a different fantasy ) Based on current speculation the most I would want to see done is locked angle changed.

The seatbelt you want doesn't do anything different than what the restraint system is already designed to do. Those seat belts you show will not lock if the restraint does not close far enough. We've already established that NTAG has a system that doesn't allow the train to be dispatched if the angle is not met on the restraint.

As for seat belts in general, I'm against them. There's no proof that having a seat belt would have stopped her from falling out. If she could have slid out of the current restraints then she could have slipped out of a seat belt that was designed for the current restraint max angle distance.

It was a freak accident. I don't want to be strapped down beyond movement to go for a ride (that's a different fantasy ) Based on current speculation the most I would want to see done is locked angle changed.

Ok if what you say is true then yes they need to fix the lock angle to prevent large people from riding. I was only talking about the belt as if the NTAG did not prevent the coaster from dispatch. of course no belt is needed if they already have a system to determine the position of the restraint.

But writing it off as a "freak accident" is not acceptable. The coaster has been running for just a few years and one person is dead. What if this happens again next year? Would it then be time to come up with a better restraint system? Or would a few more people have to fly out? Just sayin..

If it had buckled, would it have kept her in the seat?

No.

Like when that person fell off a drop ride years ago. People said they didn't know how that could happen unless the person didn't have legs or was missing arms. Well the person was missing legs.

This isn't even a true story.

Ok if what you say is true then yes they need to fix the lock angle to prevent large people from riding. I was only talking about the belt as if the NTAG did not prevent the coaster from dispatch. of course no belt is needed if they already have a system to determine the position of the restraint.

But writing it off as a "freak accident" is not acceptable. The coaster has been running for just a few years and one person is dead. What if this happens again next year? Would it then be time to come up with a better restraint system? Or would a few more people have to fly out? Just sayin..

That is my understanding - that the bar has to be at a certain angle before the green light will go on. Assuming that is the case (which I believe it is), we are really down to two main possibilities here

1) The lap bar was not on her legs and thigs as it should be and the ride was allowed to leave - operator error

2) The minimum angle of the far is too high and should be lowered - design type error, but should be an easy fix since it is most likely a software issue

and I guess there is a third as well which is that if the angle is a software variable, that somewhere during maintenance that value was not set properly on that car. That is probably unlikely since that wouldn't be something that should be changed ever so shouldn't be anywhere easily accessible and woudl really require the manufacterer to change.

It will be interesting to see what the determination is on what happened here.

I think the victim wasn't large as much as round -- probably very short legs. I also have to wonder if she passed out (it's hot in Texas) although things happen quick.

thumb_sfot_4_11.jpg

That's the most restrictive rules I've ever seen. I don't think I've ridden a lap bar coaster recently where the bar touches my thighs. Sounds very painful unless the geometry is better.

Edited by robbalvey

IF the issue was the lap bar sitting on her stomach and not her thighs then it's also conceivable that IF there was a seat belt it also would have been sitting on her stomach and not her thighs. So the point is moot.

What needed to be done is she needed to lift up her stomach and push the lap bar down over her thighs and the lower her stomach over it. Or she needed to not ride.

Look at it this way, the ride has been running for three years without incident with the lap bars. Why do we need seat belts when the lap bars would have been sufficient if the lady had put the bar on her thighs instead of her stomach? (I'm only assuming that this is what caused her to fall out)

I'm not going to speculate further as I'm not an investigator nor do I know what happened on Friday. Prayers for the family and friends of the victim.

Look at it this way, the ride has been running for three years without incident with the lap bars. Why do we need seat belts when the lap bars would have been sufficient if the lady had put the bar on her thighs instead of her stomach? (I'm only assuming that this is what caused her to fall out)

I'm not going to speculate further as I'm not an investigator nor do I know what happened on Friday. Prayers for the family and friends of the victim.

Agreed. That is why I'm thinking the end result is going to be more stringent checking of riders and/or adjustments to the sensors making them more strict.