TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^I absolutely get your point, Chad. BUT... in this case, it would have been the lesser of two evils. And to play the devil's advocate... is there a real difference between weighing and measuring their height ? I know it sounds politically incorrect, but still... if weight and built influence ridership as much as height... why not ? They DO weigh you for Bungee Jumping, for instance

This is why overweight people need to be checked at the entrance or just not be able to ride.

The thing is that there are no weight restrictions on coasters, just accommodations regarding the restraints. Certain coasters you must be able to fasten the seat belt or the restraint must come down to a certain point...having worked at a park for the past 4 years, I can say people are shaped differently. Some people you wouldn't think are that large can't fit into certain rides, whereas some people you see who you think have no chance to fit will just secure themselves into seats with no problem. I'd imagine since Texas Giant has some pretty extreme negatives, that the restraint must have barely made the lights come on and the problem is that negative g's affect heavier people much greater; who's to say her weight didn't just thrust her legs right through the lap bar? You never know. Still waiting for more info.

Also just searched 'Texas Giant' on twitter...some of those tweets are making me lose faith in humanity..

Edited by coasterlover420

It's been less than one day and her photo already says "Rest in Peace"? The first photo to be publicly made of her? I don't know if her children or family members would have already edited a photo when they just announced her name the day after her death.

This is why overweight people need to be checked at the entrance or just not be able to ride.

Wow.

So do you weigh them? Put a tape measure around their waist? Ask them how heavy they are?

I agree that riders that seem too big to ride should be pulled aside. Many coasters have test seats, but I have yet to see one used. Isn't the point of one to see if a rider will fit? It may seem mean, or rude, or whatever, but it is better then having someone lose their life over it. I haven't been to SFoT since NTAG has been refurbed, but does it have a test seat, and/or is there an operator at the entrance measuring guests (height wise)?

Here's the reality of the situation - it has much less to do with weight or volume, and a LOT more to do with shape and size.

As someone who has had to "shove" many people into rides on some of our trips, I can tell you that I've managed to get MANY OMFG HUGE ASS people onto coasters due to their shape with no problem or safety issues, whereas I've had trouble getting a slightly smaller person, but oddly-shaped into the same ride.

Just recently, we had two people who I would NOT consider "large" at all, not fit into Hollywood Dream in Japan, purely because of "shape".

So you could potentially have a weight restriction on a ride, and that still wouldn't matter as you could have someone top-heavy enough to fall out.

I'm not sure what the answer is, in this case, but I'd have to think there must be some way to measure if a rider isn't the right "shape" to fit a restraint, right?

Edited by robbalvey

Measuring guests for height, not weight! I know Montu is OTSR restraints, but if the computer system says the restraint is locked, then they are clear to ride, no matter what weight they are. It's unfortunate that she fell out and the investigation will determine exactly what caused the accident. However, we cannot just tell a person they cannot ride because they are too large when they can be safely locked into the seat.

Edited by jjune4991

I just saw this on British news... I heard a woman has died after falling off a roller coaster then looked up at the TV to see Texas Giant. I was deeply saddened/shocked. My thoughts go out to this woman's family & friends as well as well as to the park employees, I can't imagine how it must have felt nor to see a rider return safely.

Here's the reality of the situation - it has much less to do with weight or volume, and a LOT more to do with shape and size.

As someone who has had to "shove" many people into rides on some of our trips, I can tell you that I've managed to get MANY OMFG HUGE A$$ people onto coasters due to their shape with no problem or safety issues, whereas I've had trouble getting a slightly smaller person, but oddly-shaped into the same ride.

Just recently, we had two people who I would NOT consider "large" at all, not fit into Hollywood Dream in Japan, purely because of "shape".

So you could potentially have a weight restriction on a ride, and that still wouldn't matter as you could have someone top-heavy enough to fall out.

I'm not sure what the answer is, in this case, but I'd have to think there must be some way to measure if a rider isn't the right "shape" to fit a restraint, right?

Totally reminding me the debates when Shambhala opened end seemed to refuse riders who were not "that large" indeed

This situation sounds eerily similar to the Perilous Plunge incident at Knotts Berry Farm where the restraint did not fail, the dimensions of the rider allowed her to slip out of the restraint when the airtime forces occured.

This is what happens: lap restraints are designed to be rest against your waist. When you're sitting, your knees and waist allow your torso to create an angle where you're secure. When a person is overweight the lap restraint is not pressed against your waist, its pressed against your gut. When the forces of the ride occur your gut flails around and moves, allowing a tremendous gap between your waist and restraint where the gut once was. Hit a hill at the right time, the gut moves above the restraint, your body is no longer secure, and an airtime hill will throw you like you're not even wearing a restraint at all (because at that point you're really not).

As someone who has had to "shove" many people into rides on some of our trips, I can tell you that I've managed to get MANY OMFG HUGE A$$ people onto coasters due to their shape with no problem or safety issues, whereas I've had trouble getting a slightly smaller person, but oddly-shaped into the same ride.

I know Xcelerator at Knott's had its restraints retrofitted with a dial to visually detail if the restraint is safely lowered. Maybe we could be seeing similar devices on this?

This situation sounds eerily similar to the Perilous Plunge incident at Knotts Berry Farm where the restraint did not fail, the dimensions of the rider allowed her to slip out of the restraint when the airtime forces occured.

This is what happens: lap restraints are designed to be rest against your waist. When you're sitting, your knees and waist allow your torso to create an angle where you're secure. When a person is overweight the lap restraint is not pressed against your waist, its pressed against your gut. When the forces of the ride occur your gut flails around and moves, allowing a tremendous gap between your waist and restraint where the gut once was. Hit a hill at the right time, the gut moves above the restraint, your body is no longer secure, and an airtime hill will throw you like you're not even wearing a restraint at all (because at that point you're really not).

We were actually just discussing how similar this seems to the Perilous Plunge accident. If you remember, they had to re-design the restraints on that ride, and unfortunately, what the end resulted ended up being very uncomfortable and greatly impacted the capacity of the ride. Hopefully the same doesn't happen for Texas Giant.

Also, I have now heard conflicting reports of Iron Rattler being open. Can anyone confirm if the ride is open or closed?

You're right Rob, first post by the way Been a fan for years, but I live here in Dallas and I go to SFOT almost every week and the Texas Giant is usually a minimum 3 rides a day for me, the restraint is damn hard to pull down and the employees I noticed this year on every ride have actually been taking their job of securing people in more seriously so I was shocked by this. The NTAG staff always ALWAYS before they send off the train don't just lightly tap the restraint and say ''check'', they shove the thing with both hands to make sure you're in. Yes I'm speculating, but given your comment and how, no offense to her because it's sad she died. This is a case where likely the restraint didn't get to her thighs which is where it's meant to go as we all know. And so she literally probably slipped out like a bar of soap, I doubt any seat belt attached to the harness would have saved her. I know a lot about the safety systems being a junkie of the ride and I know ride ops who have run it. The system WILL not let the train move if everything is not secured. The brake run halfway through would have stopped the train if the system detected something ''unsafe'' and they would have made the other passengers walk down the safety exits from the ride. So that's how I'm going to perceive it logically until the investigation report comes out because that is what now seems to make the most sense. Anyone agree?

What a tragic event. It's always sad when things like this happen, but the reality is that every time we get on a roller coaster, we inherit a certain amount of risk. Same goes for when we get in the car to go to the amusement park, or get on the plane to go to the city with the amusement park, etc. etc.

While speculation is completely unproductive, what we know for a fact is that NTAG has run for 2+ years without incident until last night. Thousands upon thousands of people have ridden it without an issue, as is the case for nearly every roller coaster that bears the solemn and unfortunate marking of having someone die on it. Whether this is a ride op error, a restraint malfunction, or a something completely unforeseeable, everyone should remember before calling for weight restrictions or new safety measures that this is thankfully NOT the norm.

I know a lot about the safety systems being a junkie of the ride and I know ride ops who have run it. The system WILL not let the train move if everything is not secured. The brake run halfway through would have stopped the train if the system detected something ''unsafe'' and they would have made the other passengers walk down the safety exits from the ride. So that's how I'm going to perceive it logically until the investigation report comes out because that is what now seems to make the most sense. Anyone agree?

I don't think the safety system has any way to detect an opened restraint after the ride is in motion. Also, she fell off before the mid-course brake.

Edited by nannerdw

^ The mid-course brake run is an interesting argument... So you mean the ride would "sense" something is wrong even if the malfunction happened after the train has cleared the lift hill ? Just curious and interested in this idea. Coaster trains seem to have MANY MORE contacters / sensors these days. Maybe hitting the first portion of the brake run, a sensor could trigger the brakes on ?

This actually makes sense since it was reported that the restraint was in the down position when the cars came back into the station.

Do we know exactly where on the ride she came out? I watched Robb's youtube video of the ride and can only venture a guess.

^ The mid-course brake run is an interesting argument... So you mean the ride would "sense" something is wrong even if the malfunction happened after the train has cleared the lift hill ? Just curious and interested in this idea. Coaster trains seem to have MANY MORE contacters / sensors these days. Maybe hitting the first portion of the brake run, a sensor could trigger the brakes on ?

That's correct, there are over 200 sensors I know of on NTAG and also Titan in the park, if any of the sensors at any point detect a safety issue at any point then the ride will come to a stop at the first opportunity, meaning since the reports are she was thrown on the double dip after the first drop...which makes sense, the first opportunity would be the mid-course brake run. But since the ride continued then it did not detect that the harness itself had actually ''broken free''.

^Ah, but that's assuming the restraint did in fact "pop open" which is pure GP speculation and I can to a certainty, assure you in this case, it did not. Restraints do not come undone. Especially hydraulic restraints which have numerous backup safety systems in place even when under extreme extreme pressure. In fact, I'd wager the steel of the restraint would snap before the hydraulic mechanism fails.

The MCBR is there for blocking the trains. Unless a ride operator hit the e-stop during the trains ride around the circuit, unless a problem was detected by the rides system, which in this case the ride did not detect a problem, the train will continue through the ride and pull right into the station.

Nothing is certain of course, but I would imagine this is going to be human error (ie should not have let this person ride) instead of a ride malfunction.

Edited by LouMerica