TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I'd like to add that Guru saying he felt secure even though the restraint was against his gut rather than his legs is all well and good but it is for that exact reason that SFNE's Superman had a similar accident to this. In that accident the restraint was designed to be resting on a riders thighs but was instead against his torso and he was thrown from the ride because of it. Something like that may have happened here as well.

Many of us are speculating she was large, which I agree makes sense.

But let's say she was not, instead she's average height and build.

Ride op error? Always seems like they staple the seats on that ride when I'm there...

Also, how about the random issues they've been having with the sensors over the past months?

I've been at the park several times when NTAG has been closed for an hour or two because of sensor problems.

I'm interested to know which train it was, has that been reported?

In spite of this news I'm still headed down to the park this weekend. I was afraid it would be busy but now I'm thinking it won't be.

Wait, I thought you weren't going back to the park until Shockwave reopened.

that's when I was thinking it would be just a few weeks. now that I know it will be all summer i'm going to go enjoy the other rides. sounds like pandemonium, shockwave and NTAG will all be closed though. still I can try TSS and ride the 42" requirement rides with my son.

the real reason is we have merlin annual passes that expire this weekend. we won't be renewing as LEGOLAND Discovery Center is pretty lame. we really like SeaLife though.

Many of us are speculating she was large, which I agree makes sense.

But let's say she was not, instead she's average height and build.

Ride op error? Always seems like they staple the seats on that ride when I'm there...

Also, how about the random issues they've been having with the sensors over the past months?

I've been at the park several times when NTAG has been closed for an hour or two because of sensor problems.

I'm interested to know which train it was, has that been reported?

In someone's somewhat dubious report of the incident they stated it was the red train.

Very sad situation indeed. I have to admit this but it makes me thankful that my home park cedar point is over the top with the restraint system and larger riders. I know it has not been confirmed if this was a plus size person or not, but if so then I'm sure Six Flags will make sure the proper restraints are added across the board for all coasters. This is definitely bad press for gerstlauer which no company would want to get but in the end it will help enhance these type of restraint systems to create less opportunity for these type of accidents.

Seems like a crazy day for amusement park related accidents. Cedar Point and this, thankfully Cedar Point's incident wasn't fatal.

Hopefully we find out more about what exactly happened as they investigate further. I won't go into speculation, I will just wait until the professionals have done their job and came out with a full report. My prayers go out to the family of the victim.

Anyone further who wants to argue about our NTAG acronym will be banned. Understood? Great. Thank you!

I wasn't joking. I've banned two people already. Want to continue to be obnoxious? You'll be banned.

Just hearing about this now. What a day in the industry. Praying for all involved at both parks. Kinda crazy, because I'm headed out for CP in a few hours and will be at SFOT next week. The plan was to hit all 3 RMCs, but we'll see what happens. Safety is most important.

One last thing I'll say before I head off to bed. New Texas Giant was running EXTREMELY INSANE today like I had never seen before. It also had had this sketchy feel to it, almost as if you could sense something was about to happen. It's an extremely sad situation for all parties and my thoughts are with those affected.

The craziest part about this in my mind is that the incident happened near the very beginning of the ride...so every person sitting behind the woman had to complete the rest of the lengthy ride having just seen a person right in front of them literally fly to her death. The thought of it makes me cringe. Very sad and tragic. We can only hope that anything like this never happens again.

I'd like to point out, I think this Carmen Brown women is full of shit. She's told the media two bold faced lies.

1-She mentions the clicking noise, where as the Giant uses pneumatic restraints, and they make absolutely no noise. Giants restrains do not click.

2-Her account in the following quote is impossible because the incident took place on a part of the ride that cannot be seen from the station.

"She goes up like this," Brown said raising her hand up in the air. "Then when it drops to come down that's when it released and she just tumbled ... And I said that could have been me because I don't do roller coasters."

This is a tragic event that will for sure get blown out of proportion by the media. Accidents happen everyday and unfortunately one happened today in the coaster community. Riding a roller coaster is still safer than most daily activities people do, but I'm already seeing the "I'M NEVER RIDING A ROLLAR COASTAR EVAR AGAIN!" comments on social media and in the comments section of the news articles which is awful and just plain stupid.

Sending thoughts and prayers down to those involved.

Not to add any fuel to the fire, but I do remember hearing the Giant was down near the end of June due to one of the trains having lap bar issues. No clue if has anything to do with this, but I'm sure it will be considered in the investigation...

RCM has said on their Facebook that they heard about the accident and send their prayers to the friends and family involve. Also they note that they can't give any comment about what happened, but they're working to help to get the facts right of what happened.

Has anyone else see the caption to the current CNN headline: "Thousands hurt yearly on rides?" That statement is so distorted (or misleadingly sensational, rather) I don't know where to begin...

Grabbed it. I think misleading and sensational sums it up...

cnn.PNG.cd1e677404303a2da9cce3558eda45a9.PNG

I'd like to point out, I think this Carmen Brown women is full of poo-poo. She's told the media two bold faced lies.

1-She mentions the clicking noise, where as the Giant uses pneumatic restraints, and they make absolutely no noise. Giants restrains do not click.

2-Her account in the following quote is impossible because the incident took place on a part of the ride that cannot be seen from the station.

"She goes up like this," Brown said raising her hand up in the air. "Then when it drops to come down that's when it released and she just tumbled ... And I said that could have been me because I don't do roller coasters."

I've never understood people trying to get on TV by lying about a tragic incident. I really hate some people.

^^ If you read the "Thousands of injuries" article it says that most of the injuries on rides are very small and that serious injuries only make up a small percentage of accidents. It's not saying that there are thousands of injuries of this nature yearly.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who won't read past the title though.

I want to state my complete confidence in the Rocky Mountain Construction team, Gerstlauer, and yes, even in Six Flags and hope for the quick resolution of this matter. I would ride the Texas Giant tomorrow if given the opportunity.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but this states it happened in the first turn. Carmen Brown is full of it. Like Rob stated the restraints don't click. It's also difficult to see the first drop from the station. On top of that she would've been getting into the next train by the time that train cleared the lift, and I doubt Six Flags was running one train.

My heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine how her son feels after witnessing that.

This is horrific news.

Everyone should try to keep calm before jumping to conclusions. I know it is easy to get into a frenzy when something horrible like this happens, but only time will tell what went wrong.