TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Gerstlauer really is in trouble this time and I think RMC trains will replace the trains on NTaG and iRat. Probably SFMM's Revolution won't get a new train from Gerstlauer for a long time, other parks as well

We don't know what happened so no one can be in "trouble" yet. And not to sound blunt or take away from what happened - things happens and companies move on. See any of the many previous accidents over the years - most of those companies are still around.

(Not to distract from the current discussion, but can someone tell me what the "NTAG" acronym stands for? I've never understood it. haha [Or perhaps this is some sort of inside joke from which I'll forever be shut out?])

NTAG is the confusing acronym that TPR came up with for New Texas Giant.

There have been several incidents where a rider that was too large to ride (per the ride manufactures specs), has been allowed to ride due to ride op error, and thus caused the accident. While roller coaster accidents are not "common", this does seem to be quite a common re-occurring issue when they DO happen.

I'm aware of the many "over weight" accidents (for lack of a better term) but I feel like I'm missing something (maybe these came out in the previous accidents that I didn't as closely follow?). If the restraint locks/shows a green light/etc how would I operator know that the guest is too large to ride? Does the extra pressure up against the restraint cause the failure? I'll admit I've see all the time when one or two operators have to push the restraint to close around a larger guest but does that translate into extra force on the restraint? Or as others mentions is it, for lack of better wording - their body shape and the way the restraint comes down around it?

Maybe the answer isn't known - I'm just curious and thinking out loud.

Again, I am NOT speculating on THIS accident, but I do want to comment on your note on body shape. I am 5'8" and 210 lbs. I am fat, but not super huge (Rob and other TPR members have seen me ride NTG). I am not near large enough for it to be a problem for the restraint light to come on when I ride New Texas Giant or Iron Rattler, in fact the light comes on way before the restraint gets to my gut. That being said, once the restraint hits my gut it stops there unless the ride op or I add more force. My shape allows me to have some great ejector airtime rides on both of the coasters, I never feel insecure to the point where I feel like I could squeeze out, but I do think I get a bit more out of my seat than less fat riders whose restrains go down and press hard on their legs/thighs. (again, my gut stops the restraint before my thighs). If I were the same shape and much larger, I could possibly see the effect being even greater.

P.S. I've only been refused ride on one ride, Revolution at Galveston Pleasure Pier, because they couldn't get the light to come on. Others that were MUCH fatter than me were able to ride, but their shape was different and they were able to get the light on easily.

^Gerstlaur made the trains, and therefore the restraint mechanism. That is the logic in his statement.

I Feel bad speculating so soon after the accident, but I'm sure it will turn out to be ride op error.

Also, the reported part of the ride she fell out on seems strange...doesn't seem like it is the airtime heavy part of the ride. It was after the double up. With those side walls on the train it would seem difficult to eject sideways.

Edited by DougMJr

Again, I am NOT speculating on THIS accident, but I do want to comment on your note on body shape. I am 5'8" and 210 lbs. I am fat, but not super huge (Rob and other TPR members have seen me ride NTAG). I am not near large enough for it to be a problem for the restraint light to come on when I ride New Texas Giant or Iron Rattler, in fact the light comes on way before the restraint gets to my gut. That being said, once the restraint hits my gut it stops there unless the ride op or I add more force. My shape allows me to have some great ejector airtime rides on both of the coasters, I never feel insecure to the point where I feel like I could squeeze out, but I do think I get a bit more out of my seat than less fat riders whose restrains go down and press hard on their legs/thighs. (again, my gut stops the restraint before my thighs). If I were the same shape and much larger, I could possibly see the effect being even greater.

P.S. I've only been refused ride on one ride, Revolution at Galveston Pleasure Pier, because they couldn't get the light to come on. Others that were MUCH fatter than me were able to ride, but their shape was different and they were able to get the light on easily.

Thanks for sharing your point of view - interesting stuff. I guess I never realized it isn't so much the larger size but how the larger body dimensions come in contact/don't come in contact with the restraints.

NTAG is the confusing acronym that TPR came up with for New Texas Giant.

It's not confusing at all. If you don't like it, get the f**k off our website. Not going to tolerate your crappy attitude anymore, dude.

EDIT: You've been banned. I have every right to get rid of annoying people, and you've annoyed me too much. Goodbye.

Edited by robbalvey

Gerstlauer really is in trouble this time

Why would they be in trouble?

I'm sure by tomorrow, we will have more details of what caused the accident. It could be a number of things.

Financial problem on adding seat belts, fixing trains, testing etc, and the accident may influence their business to some extent although it seems like there were problems in ride op, rider and something more.

^Gerstlaur made the trains, and therefore the restraint mechanism. That is the logic in his statement.

I Feel bad speculation so soon after the accident, but I'm sure it will turn out to be ride op error.

Also, the reported part of the ride she fell out on seems strange...doesn't seem like it is the airtime heavy part of the ride. It was after the double up. With those side walls on the train it would seem difficult to eject sideways.

It's a new ride. I'm sure it had computer-restraint backup. Someone else mentioned this in the discussion.

My speculation is that the restraint came undone on the double up (or could be any part of the ride) and she was able to hang on until the turn. In one of Bizarro's incidents the man's restraint came undone, but he was able to hang on until the final turn of the ride. So it is possible she could've held on until the turn.

My best guess is the rider was too big. I've seen many people squeeze those restraints down, lock, and then some system in the restraint releases it because it isn't far enough down or something. Should be interesting to find out what exactly happened.

SFOT is losing rides, quickly. With Giant down, that only leaves B:TR, Freeze, Judge, Titan, Runaway Mountain, and La Vibora. I can only imagine how packed the lines will be in the near future since Giant was such a people grabber.

Edited by robbalvey

Gerstlauer really is in trouble this time

Why would they be in trouble?

I'm sure by tomorrow, we will have more details of what caused the accident. It could be a number of things.

Financial problem on adding seat belts, fixing trains, testing etc, and the accident may influence their business to some extent although it seems like there were problems in ride op, rider and something more.

Its been 3 years since they bought the trains from Gerstlauer. I would think six flags maintenance has probably done some tweaks to the trains since then. Plus its not going to be hard to add some seat belts. I just think we should wait on more details before we say a company is in trouble.

As for holding companies responsible, Intamin is still strong after Perilous's fatal (among others). From what I can gather thus far, this incident could very well be a repeat of the same circumstances that led to the 2001 incident...however, that's just shameful speculation based on current data, and I'm not holding myself to it fully until the facts are straightened out.

Edited by robbalvey

For those who've been on NTAG, are there seat belts?

There are not, this has already been discussed though. If you want to know what we know so far read the last few pages, just understand there are no facts at this point other than a woman fell from the ride to her death.

It's freaky to hear about this accident and think that I was at SFOT yesterday and rode New Texas Giant so close to this horrible accident. My condolences go out to everyone involved in this horrible, though I also feel incredibly lucky that I got to ride it before this tragic accident since I'm guessing it'll probably be down for a while now.