TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I'll preface this with by saying I'm no engineer but I don't understand what role her sizes plays into all of this - if the restraint is able to lock shouldn't it be designed to remained locked whether is it at one "click" or three? (I know there is no "clicks" on this system just saying in general). I would like to believe that if a person can fit inside the restraint and it locks then it is the restraints responsibility to hold them in. Again, I'm no engineer - just thinking out loud.

When it comes to Gerstlauer rides being possibly closed across the chain, do you know if this would include The Boss at my home park, SfSTL? Obviously we won't know for sure until tomorrow, but because it uses a ratcheting system I assumed it wouldn't be included in a possible shutdown.

I believe NTAG's trains don't 'click' but use the hydraulic locking system instead..confirmation?

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Sometimes when a guest is too large, they may be heavy enough to break a part in the hydraulic system. The g-forces on the ride may have been a lot too, so maybe that's how the restraint "flew" open.

By the sounds of the reports, she was overweight. Still, just speculation

I believe NTAG's trains don't 'click' but use the hydraulic locking system instead..confirmation?

It is hydraulic - hence my comment why I was saying in general. If a safety bar can lock it should be designed to hold someone in - if not then it shouldn't lock. At least that is how I view it - but again, I'm no engineer.

Edited by AndrewRnR

I'll preface this with by saying I'm no engineer but I don't understand what role her sizes plays into all of this - if the restraint is able to lock shouldn't it be designed to remained locked whether is it at one "click" or three? (I know there is no "clicks" on this system just saying in general). I would like to believe that if a person can fit inside the restraint and it locks then it is the restraints responsibility to hold them in. Again, I'm no engineer - just thinking out loud.

There have been several incidents where a rider that was too large to ride (per the ride manufactures specs), has been allowed to ride due to ride op error, and thus caused the accident. While roller coaster accidents are not "common", this does seem to be quite a common re-occurring issue when they DO happen.

The restraint may have very well remained locked, though. If I'm not mistaken, the larger rider who was ejected from (and subsequently killed by) Perilous Plunge flew out on the drop while the restraint was still locked. In other words, it isn't as though the restraint flew open, she just somehow flew out.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that, when the restraint is only barely in locked position, it may not be effective at holding in guests with larger body types?

This report can't be right. Those trains don't "click" because they use a hydraulic locking system. No employee would ever say "As long as you heard it click" because you'd NEVER hear it click. Now they are just making stuff up.

Yep, idiots will just make crap up and feed it to credulous reporters when ride accidents happen. Does anyone remember the "I know for a fact that it jumped the tracks" guy that came out of the woodwork when SOB had its accident in 2006?

I wouldn't mind seat belts being added. They're on most coasters now anyway. If it helps the operators know if a person has "unusual body proportions" and won't have a safe ride, it's fine by me. They use that system on El Toro (which I know is a completely different manufacturer), with it's white line rule, so they could possibly do it here... If this is indeed the reason for the accident of course.

There have been several incidents where a rider that was too large to ride (per the ride manufactures specs), has been allowed to ride due to ride op error, and thus caused the accident. While roller coaster accidents are not "common", this does seem to be quite a common re-occurring issue when they DO happen.

I'm aware of the many "over weight" accidents (for lack of a better term) but I feel like I'm missing something (maybe these came out in the previous accidents that I didn't as closely follow?). If the restraint locks/shows a green light/etc how would I operator know that the guest is too large to ride? Does the extra pressure up against the restraint cause the failure? I'll admit I've see all the time when one or two operators have to push the restraint to close around a larger guest but does that translate into extra force on the restraint? Or as others mentions is it, for lack of better wording - their body shape and the way the restraint comes down around it?

Maybe the answer isn't known - I'm just curious and thinking out loud.

Yes, NTAG's restraints are hydraulic, they don't click when lowered into place. To me, they feel very smooth when you push them down. But they also feel quite heavy, it's possible that some guests (especially children) might have difficulty in pushing them all the way down. Which is why ride ops must check each restraint carefully to make sure each guest is firmly secured in their seat.

But we'll have to wait until the investigation is concluded and the actual cause of this tragedy is known before we can speculate further.

Wow. This is a horrific day for the theme park industry. In a matter of hours we have likely lost two rides for the rest of the season. And both of these rides are newer. Texas Giant reopened in 20011 and STR just new in 2010. I'm especially interested to find out what exactly happened in Texas tonight. From what I read in this article, an employee failed to ensure that the restraint was fully in place.

P.S. The amount of people on this topic right now is insane.

Wow. This is a horrific day for the theme park industry. In a matter of hours we have likely lost two rides for the rest of the season. And both of these rides are newer. Texas Giant reopened in 20011 and STR just new in 2010. I'm especially interested to find out what exactly happened in Texas tonight. From what I read in this article, an employee failed to ensure that the restraint was fully in place.

P.S. The amount of people on this topic right now is insane.

Like we've been discussing in this thread (if you read it), many of us think this report could be bogus as the restraints don't "click" like was reported in this article.

Factoring in the excessive weight of the rider combined with the extreme negative g-forces on that ride might be enough to cause a part failure in the restraint. Like a popcorn kernel. The outwards force of the kernel (rider) causes it to break the shell (restraint).

Does it have to be a part failure, though? Just because the restraint is in the outermost locked position for a normal body type, couldn't there be one outlying body type out there that is able to come free?

(Not to distract from the current discussion, but can someone tell me what the "NTAG" acronym stands for? I've never understood it. haha [Or perhaps this is some sort of inside joke from which I'll forever be shut out?])

Edited by TopThrill182

It's always sad to hear when something like this happens on a roller coaster as great as Texas Giant. I feel especially bad not just for the woman who sadly lost her life, but also for the people on-board who saw everything happening. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

(Not to distract from the current discussion, but can someone tell me what the "NTAG" acronym stands for? I've never understood it. haha [Or perhaps this is some sort of inside joke from which I'll forever be shut out?])

NTAG stands for New Texas Giant.